997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo 2008 tiptronic safe mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Andy Varoshiotis is an unknown quantity at this point
997 Turbo 2008 tiptronic safe mode

Hi all

I just came back from a mechanic which I urgently took in my car after the gas station overflowed the engine oil because they are incompetent. The engine light came on with the tiptronic going into safe mode. The mechanic said its ok. I drove for 30kmh and car stayed in 3 gear. I switch off and then on it reset then the car went into a tiptronic safe run again.

The mechanic said it might be the valve head of the gearbox. I am not sure about this as he didn't do anything apart from oil change.

Anyone has an idea?

BR

Andy

Old 02-08-2019, 12:23 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Overfill ling the oil is not good, however it should be a recoverable problem. Researching this I can find no instance of a tiptronic going into safe mode as a result of oil overfill, however I have read about overfill affecting engine performance and that may put the transmission into limp mode. Were you burning a lot of oil out the exhaust on your dribve?

You should know what someone has said about SEVERE overfilling:"It occurs to me that you need to know the possible consequences of a major overfill. The engine may suck oil into the breather and you will get a large cloud of white smoke. Don't drive it without consulting the dealer. Worst case scenario the engine will pull oil into the cylinder and the compression stroke will severly damage the engine (hydrolock). This is in the interest of full disclosure for your sake. You obviously drove the car and it did not self destruct but you did ask."

Since you drove cautiously and for a short period of time, you should be on the safe side of the negative affects of too much oil.

I was at my P-car dealer a while ago with a brand new Panamerica that some moron had overfilled by 5 quarts. They spent some time working on what I assume was the PCV system, but the car was fixed with no ongoing issues. I do have to ask Porsche why the hell they removed the dipstick, among some other stupid 997 moves, this one takes the cake.

Ed

Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Andy Varoshiotis is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you Ed

Just took the car for a spin. When it started white smoke on the rear like a burning g forest for couple of minutes. drove for ten minutes the oil temp once it reached 90 celcious the car again went into tiptronic safe run mode and the engine light yellow went on saying visit workshop. the gear indicator was blinking on the 4th gear. God help ,me.

Andy