997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Prices - Inventory Glut or Normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 PM
agil is on a distinguished road
997 Turbo Prices - Inventory Glut or Normal?

Hi All,

I have spent the last few months searching and watching for a 997 Turbo to purchase. I am close to pulling the trigger on one, but I am worried that there is a 997 Turbo "bubble" out there and with 992 sales starting this summer I am worried the market will soften and I don't want to buy too high.

I made a chart with 48 Turbos a few weeks ago and I don't think one has sold. The list was made using all the 2007/2008 Turbos I could find on Cars.com, Autotrader.com and CarGurus.com. Of the 48 there were 36 pn CarGurus (most dealer ones are on multiple sites) and now there are 50 on CarGurus alone!

I know one sold on either this forum or Rennlist forum's marketplace and I am familiar with another that was bought with 75,000 miles where the new owner is facing all kinds of problems. There are many on this list that would appear a good deal and in fact 2 of them at one time were sold, but both fell through due to financing problems.

My question to everyone who has bought relatively recently (last few years), is: Was there that many Turbos for sale when you bought? Does it take a long time for them to sell? Is this inventory "normal" or do you think it is high and indicative of a price correction? Maybe they don't sell until summer time?

On a side note, this would be my first 911. My DD is an E60 535i M-sport with a 6-speed and a tune (N54) engine. I have driven a 997.1 C2S (rented for a whole weekend), a 997.1 C42, two 996 Turbos, a 991.1 and a 991.2 - all manuals. I could be happy with a C2S for all the reasons debated elsewhere, but in Colorado at 5,000+ feet the effective horsepower is only about 300, so that is steering me to the Turbo. Still, given I can get a 2005 (with higher miles) for close to $30k, it is tempting to pass on the Turbo and get the lighter, high revving C2S and put the extra $40k into a new daily driver M3 in a few years.

Thanks,
Alan

Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Coming from the VW/Audi root and driven a few turbo cars, there is nothing like a turbo for many reasons. Your purchase decision is ultimately that, yours. For me, the 911 Turbo models represent the pinnacle of a driver's car in terms of handling, performance and style, but that's me.

The prices you are seeing seem to be about 10K higher for some of the cars than what I was seeing and paid a couple of years ago. I have no idea about any bubble, for me it was when I had the cash together combined with what was available.

So, in the end, buy what you want to buy after doing your due diligence and enjoy the experience.

Ed

Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM
lflouie is on a distinguished road
997tt

Bought a 2007 997tt 6m last fall, so haven't been as deeply into the current market as you appear to be. A couple of observations though on what I've noticed: 1) very few manual coupes available...mostly cabs and Tip cars. 2) dealers asking very high prices (IMO) on most sub 25k MI cars... $85k +. 3) if you like black or silver/gray there are more cars...but tough to find other colors. 4) depending on options, it can be very hard to find the right car....ie, LSD or ceramic brakes.

Depending on your price point, acceptable mileage, coupe vs cab and manual vs tip there are cars available. The selling/price cycle on these seems to be price declines at end of season (Oct-Dec) and then spikes up after first of year. More cars hit the mkt in spring and prices are higher than previous fall as owners test the mkt. Prices tend to peak in summer and cool as fall approaches.

The cabs tend to be priced lower, especally with a TIP.....all Tips are discounted over manual ( $5k?).

Good 997.2 Turbo S are now available in the upper $80s depending on miles, options, etc.....and are PDK, which I think will put pressure on 997.1tt Tips....so 997.1 Tip may soften. However, a manual 997.1 or 997.2 Turbo (especially coupes) should hold its value bc they are the last of the breed.

As far as slowness in the sales rates for 997tt goes, certantly the new 992 release is taking some oxygen out of the mkt, but even the 992 non turbos are 2x the price of a lower mile 997tt.....so I think it is a different buyer.

I got into my first Porsche after sitting on the side lines for a few years. Watching the 997tt bottom out 3-4 yrs ago, and the gradual increase in their prices was a wakeup call....all while similarly equiped lightly used turbos (PDK only) are 2x of the price of current 997tt. It was now or never in my mind since I wanted a classic turbo 6spd coupe and not all of the new electronics and certainly NOT center locking wheels.

I think there are a lot of potential buyers like myself, looking for one of the all time classic Porsche while low mile nice cars still exist.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

To be clear every car on the graph/table above is a 6-speed Manual Coupe. No Tips, No Cabs.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Hoping the 997.2 TT & TTS prices stay strong too.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
read more info here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es-tanked.html

Expect to pay at least low to mid 70s for a 25-45k mile manual coupe. It'll hold value, mine's been the same value for past 2 years, but asking prices went up by $5k

Old 04-17-2019, 02:12 PM
CloudyLp640 is on a distinguished road
I've been following the market for 10 years, here. What I've seen in Canada, the lowest price the 997.1TT 6speed went is 65 CAD$ (Roughly 55 USD$) 5 years ago. Right now, there's nothing available under 80CAD$, except high mileage cars,

I don't see clean examples of 997.1 turbos with 6speed losing value to be honest. Like a previous member said, when you really want a 997.1TT, you are not shopping for a 991 or 992. Different cars for different folks.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:34 AM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CloudyLp640
I've been following the market for 10 years, here. What I've seen in Canada, the lowest price the 997.1TT 6speed went is 65 CAD$ (Roughly 55 USD$) 5 years ago. Right now, there's nothing available under 80CAD$, except high mileage cars,

I don't see clean examples of 997.1 turbos with 6speed losing value to be honest. Like a previous member said, when you really want a 997.1TT, you are not shopping for a 991 or 992. Different cars for different folks.
100% agreed.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Like a previous member said, when you really want a 997.1TT, you are not shopping for a 991 or 992. Different cars for different folks.Buy what makes you happy - everyone is going to have different opinions on values and it seems you have quite a bit of data. Data however, is only useful is you use it.As may have mentioned, people looking at 997.1 TT's, are going to be looking at 997.1 TT's - so you are talking about different animals when people begin to bring up the 991s and 992s. The 6speeds will definitely hold better value - that is fact. Just buy what makes you happy.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:30 PM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
I was stuck in analisis paralisis debating between a 991C4S and a 997.1TT, I ended up with the 997 turbo, the depreciation is down to mabe 2% a year? your data proves its on the rise.
I went against the grain and got a 6 Speed Cab, higher mileage paid less than $55K last August.$148MSRP.Clean Carfax and PPI new tires and brakes.
I'm a DIYer the mileage didn't bother me, all of the normal services are within my abilities.
These cars are certain to be a modern classic.I updated the dated interior from 2008 who needs a 992 Car was black wrapped it in Carmine Red.
Not looking for a track car just a PCH cruiser missile.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:55 PM
Black Betty is on a distinguished road
High mileage 997.1 tt

Think you might want to rethink your comment / strategy about the person that buys a higher mileage 997.1TT.

There are plenty of high mileage 997.1TT's out there that are rock solid and have good bones. They aren't all headed for astronomical repair bills.

Do a little more research about the specific platform and understand the few possible issues with our model car. Get a PPI no matter how cool the guy is that is giving up one of his cars, just for you !

If you are not a gear head and can't smell, feel or hear something a miss, you may be in for surprises no matter how many miles are on the car. You will need to become familiar with basic and some advanced maintenance or... Just go buy a new car or a CPO with a maintenance contract.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:11 AM
You may have mis-read. I was merely trying to recall various 997.1 TT cars that had sold recently and one happened to have a horror story behind it. I am not shy about buying a higher mileage car if the maintenance history and PPI support that it is in great condition.

I have done a lot of reading and I pretty familiar with the relatively few (but some consequential - camshaft sleeve, coolant lines, etc.) problem points of the Mezger engine and 997.1 TT in general. I do a fair amount of DIY on my other cars, but I don't have a lift and probably wouldn't tackle anything major - so a bit of trepidation is understandable (for any mileage).

My only real reason for paying more for a lower mileage (say 45k-ish vs. 75k) car is that if I ever need/want to sell it, I would still be well under 100k miles which may keep me on the flatter part of the depreciation car.

Right now, I am also in major analysis paralysis deciding if I should just "settle" for a nice Carerra S or 4S and put the other half of the money towards a new daily driver M3. And, yes, I have read every thread on every forum debating the merits, pros and cons of that decision.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 AM
Beautiful red Cab - hope you are enjoying it!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:46 AM
133 is on a distinguished road
Buy what excites you most. Less thinking more doing.

Originally Posted by agil
You may have mis-read. I was merely trying to recall various 997.1 TT cars that had sold recently and one happened to have a horror story behind it. I am not shy about buying a higher mileage car if the maintenance history and PPI support that it is in great condition.

I have done a lot of reading and I pretty familiar with the relatively few (but some consequential - camshaft sleeve, coolant lines, etc.) problem points of the Mezger engine and 997.1 TT in general. I do a fair amount of DIY on my other cars, but I don't have a lift and probably wouldn't tackle anything major - so a bit of trepidation is understandable (for any mileage).

My only real reason for paying more for a lower mileage (say 45k-ish vs. 75k) car is that if I ever need/want to sell it, I would still be well under 100k miles which may keep me on the flatter part of the depreciation car.

Right now, I am also in major analysis paralysis deciding if I should just "settle" for a nice Carerra S or 4S and put the other half of the money towards a new daily driver M3. And, yes, I have read every thread on every forum debating the merits, pros and cons of that decision.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 05-01-2019, 07:57 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by agil
Beautiful red Cab - hope you are enjoying it!
Thanks, I drive it to work once a week and weekends the turbo and engine sounds are intoxicating with the top down.Saving for a Europipe exhaust. The color is Carmine red and it's wrapped was black when I purchased it last August.
The last of the analog cars, no brake or steer by wire.
The 992 looks like a video game to me.

As far as the Mezger issues seen several over 300K with no issues this guy should 600K now https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...996-tt-13.html
Buying any used Porsche expect to spend another ~10% to have it serviced if not the milage the time requires service. DIY route is not for everyone can find a good Indy.

Last edited by jayi836; 05-01-2019 at 08:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Prices - Inventory Glut or Normal?