997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cobb Accessport & Tuning/maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 PM
jakethunder is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cobb Accessport & Tuning/maps

I purchased a Cobb Accessport back in September/October of last year. Everything seemed to be working perfectly until one day when I tried to run some datalogging through it. At this point in time, the only items on the car were a Tubi-style race exhaust (no cats), TPC DSC, and an aftermarket radio/Valentine One. While trying to do some datalogging I received the following error:

"Cannot communicate with vehicle. Please verify cable is plugged in securely then turn ignition key 'OFF' then back to the 'ON' position."
Since that day, every time I try to copy over a new map it errors out on me. I've sent over my AP to Cobb on two different occasions and I've been told that the AP checks out fine. The last time I sent over the AP I also sent over my DME for additional testing. The person I spoke with on the phone misinformed me and told me they could test that functionality and also put whatever map I wanted on my DME. Unfortunately, after they received both the AP and DME I was told that they do not have the ability to copy / test the map transfer portion of the AP, so they weren't able to even confirm the issue that I'm having. At this point it feels like I'm effectively out of options.

I've tried to put the custom tune that Sam Adhoot has provided me, but once again it errors out during the map transfer. I started to get the following CEL codes (P0430 and P0420) which indicates that it's cats-related. That should be the case since it's a catless exhaust. However, with a tune provided by Sam it shouldn't be throwing those codes. Uninstalling the AP isn't an option either, since it errors out.

I've found other threads where people have had similar issues and unplugging/plugging the OBDII connection seemed to clear up their issues. It hasn't worked that way for me at all. Has anyone run into a similar problem and have you found a fix for this? Is it simply a "software" issue and the map is actually being copied over? Is there a way to verify this? Here's a video I took earlier today.

Last thing to note. I pulled all aftermarket electronics out of the car to help narrow down on the issue. The TPC DSC, pioneer radio, Valentine One, sub/amp, etc. have all been removed. Nothing is drawing additional power anywhere, yet the problem remains. Thanks!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Hey Sam, will do. I figured this was more of a
Cobb issue rather than a tune issue. I’ll give you a buzz tomorrow. Thanks for the support.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 AM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
OP: You certain that the software isn't outdated...

Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 AM
All firmware on the AP and the PC software is the latest versions available from Cobb.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Is your car hooked up to a charger / tender while doing any / all map changes??

My car did this recently with the same error and did it several times in a row. I had to "Recover" the ecu using Cobb and it finally worked.

I think when my Tender goes into "Float" mode, that it's no longer adding power. I've decided to unplug it and replug it each time before doing any tuning / changing of tunes or unloading / loading. This puts the tender back in checking / charging mode. Adding power while tuning is happening.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Thanks BigSwole for weighing in. Yes, I have it hooked up to a battery charger, not a tender. When I spoke with Cobb they recommended a charger and not to use a tender. The light is flashing on the charger which indicates that it’s being charged. Still same problems though. What do you mean by having to recover the ECU?

Old 04-25-2019, 10:28 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Seems you did everything short of bench flashing both ecu and cobb back to stock then try again, are the gauges reading when the engine is running? Can you log now?

good luck

Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM
TT.BRN - When trying to use the gauges and/or identify the ECU/read CELs, it works sometimes. I've done the trick that others have mentioned, which is to unplug and replug in the device and cycle the key a few times. While it's not 100%, it still connects and I am able to do datalogging. I sent over the DME and AP to Cobb last month to try and have them run some tests and bench flash it, but they said they were unable to flash it there.

Sam - I read through your emails. I'll give those suggestions a shot and I'll give you a call afterwards; most likely tomorrow since I'll need to pick up some electrical cleaner.

Something else to mention. I have a Durametric Professional cable that is able to connect to the DME. However, there's a timing trick to it where I need to get the Durametric software up and running before turning the key. If it don't do it in a certain order it will not communicate with the DME. I took the car to Porsche to help diagnose a possible OBDII communication issue and they didn't have any issues with their PIWIS system, so no luck there. It seems like there's a related issue going on.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:40 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Btw Cobb is useless for reading codes dont rely on it, durametric will give you the actual codes ... when the durametric freezes u can either deselect an option then select again or simply cycle the plug ... if the liht is not flickering you plugged in too early ...

check for communication errors with the durametric ....
try a different cobb cable, try without the battery charger connected ... try flashing the same file it has in it .. try disconnecting the batter for atleast 30 minutes then try again ...

closest Ive seen was a 991 that had its obd wire disconnected while flashing a file, but that ecu was bricked and the car not moving, ended up with the ecu going to the motherland for a bench flash ...

good luck and please update whenyou find the issue ..

Old 04-25-2019, 05:10 PM
86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold
The Cobb is not useless for reading code. You just have to know what Cobb shows versus what it really is. Flip the first two numbers with the second two numbers.

An example would be if the Cobb shows P3004 it means it is a P0430. If the Cobb shows a B8021 means it is a B2180. Does that make sense? At least thas been the case for the Cobb codes I have seen so far. Verified with a SnapOn diagnosis scan tool.

Last edited by 86merc; 04-25-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 AM
86Merc - I noticed the same thing when reading the codes. They just have a couple of the digits showing up in the wrong order on the AP.

Quick update for everyone. I’m still unable to get the Accessport to transfer over any maps to my car. Same error listed above. Here’s what I tried tonight:

-disconnected the battery >30 minutes
-tried connecting a battery charger and was getting 14.0v according to the AP
-tried connecting a battery tender and was getting 12.7v according to the AP
-I used electronics cleaner on both the OBDII port and the AP cable, no luck.

When using my Durametric I saw the following codes pop up:

Gateway module —
C141 - Communication PCM (display)

Porsche Access System (PAS) —
8004 - Terminal 50

Instrument Cluster - 9x7 —

Airbag - POSIP —
C152 - Communication PSM control unit (drive)

Seat Memory —
C102 - CAN single-wire operation “comfort”

When I tried to erase all the codes it hung on the Instrument Cluster, so I closed it out and gave up for the night.

None is those faults have ever given me a CEL (that I know of). All the “PCM” related codes I figured show up due to no factory radio. Though that could be a bad assumption.

Any my other suggestions or areas that I should try to delve into?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:44 AM
mfawaz is on a distinguished road
If you are getting gateway faults, this can explain why your unable to communication via bus to the DME. All veichile communication typically go through the gateway module and that particular bus can be defective and unable to communicate. Try cycling all functional and features (door locks, windows, memory seat, heat, radio, etc....and change to different setting) in the car and make sure they all work. If not, most likely you have a defect gateway module. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:38 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you have a bug in your car - I would take it to a facility that knows Porsche and see if they can sort out the issue. Last thing you want to do is get into a problem mid reflash and wind up destroying the ECM in the car

Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Turns out it was faulty Cobb OBDII cable this entire time. I swapped one with my BIL who just bought an AP. Worked like a charm. I’m going to reach out to Sam next week to start wrapping up my tunes. Woohoo! Sucks since Cobb “tested” the cable and said it worked. Doesn’t matter now, I’m just glad I can finalize the power mods.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Glad you got it Sorted!!