Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

New Tires Advice requested

Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
New Tires Advice requested

I have Michelin PS2 on my car currently. It what my 2011 TTS was delivered with. After 7K miles and 6 years I am considering new tires berfore a 2K mile road trip the end of this month,

I was told the PS2 while available are an obsolete tire and have been replaced by the PS4, however the PS4 tires are not N rated. The N stands for Porsche.

Does This matter ? Have any of you guys run the PS4's and are you happy? Did you come form the PS2? If so can you please share any experience between the two.

I have been happy with my PS2's for how I drive, Spirited (non track use) they have been great.

Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions,

Jeff

Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
I have the PS4S tires on my car for since August 2017 and I love them. Especially when cruising with the windows down....zero tire noise.

Most importantly I believe these tires can not be beat in wet weather performance. I daily drive my car and here in S. Florida, and torrential monsoon like rain occurs more often than not (albeit for 5-10mins at a time).
I never before had experienced the confidence I have now with these tires on my car in the wet road environment.

Last but not least they corner well and have a nice hard sidewal feel, but they are also compliant when they need to be. When the summer heat is on and I get aggressive with them they take it with ease.

I have seen the whole N rating debate before. I am not at a track or cruising at 190mph, so I personally chose to do without it.

Last edited by turboslut; 04-26-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-26-2019, 03:18 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Thanks, it gives me the confidence to move forward., The dealer told me they were not Porsche approved (N rating) not sure what that even means with tires.

I don't track this car either but I enjoy it as it was designed to be enjoyed.

Thanks

Originally Posted by turboslut View Post
I have the PS4S tires on my car for since August 2017 and I love them. Especially when cruising with the windows down....zero tire noise.

Most importantly I believe these tires can not be beat in wet weather performance. I daily drive my car and here in S. Florida, and torrential monsoon like rain occurs more often than not (albeit for 5-10mins at a time).
I never before had experienced the confidence I have now with these tires on my car in the wet road environment.

Last but not least they corner well and have a nice hard sidewal feel, but they are also compliant when they need to be. When the summer heat is on and I get aggressive with them they take it with ease.

I have seen the whole N rating debate before. I am not at a track or cruising at 190mph, so I personally chose to do without it.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 AM
Is your car also a 997.2 ?

thanks

Jeff

Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JSF721 View Post
Is your car also a 997.2 ?

thanks

Jeff
997.1 with 651hp to the wheels.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Are you running 19" or 20" wheels on that beast.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by JSF721 View Post
Are you running 19" or 20" wheels on that beast.
Stock 19s. I have PTSD from NYC streets and their ridiculously sized potholes.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:32 PM
I live that everyday. And I have wheel and tire insurance.

Lol.

Stock 19s. I have PTSD from NYC streets and their ridiculously sized potholes.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Big Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond reputeBig Swole has a reputation beyond repute
I have PS2's and SO wished I had some PS4S's !!!

But there were brand new when I bought my 997.2TTS, so I hate to waste them.

They handle fairly well during warmer weather, but have last traction (front and rear) a bit when cooler out.

PS4S's will be my next tire for sure.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Roffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond repute
RE-71R, stickier than michelin summer tires

Old 05-02-2019, 02:03 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I have an 07 6spd with 635awhp as well.
I have had PS2's which I really liked over just about everything due to the stiff sidewalls.
However, grip was always an issue. I tried the R888's and they did great.
I recently switched to PS4s and I am extremely happy with the decision. Great grip.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 AM
Nate Tempest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
RE-71R, stickier than michelin summer tires
RE71R are awesome for autocross or time attack, but for a street tire? They're going to wear much faster than the Michelins and won't be as good in the rain. Lots of road noise too, if that matters to you.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Jose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond reputeJose Hernandez has a reputation beyond repute
I have 633 awhp and i have ps4.. spin all over the place in the first gears.. tried in 1/4 mile and also spinned badly.. Ill guess it depends on your driving habits