997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

EVOMS vs. Cobb tunes for 997 GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
EVOMS vs. Cobb tunes for 997 GT2

I have a 2008 997 GT2 with EVOMS 600 hp tune, EVOMS 650-700hp headers, Europipe stage 2 exhaust, EVOMS boost recirculation valves. I live near Denver at 5,800' altitude. My car runs very strong but comes on the pipe very hard around 3,000 rpm. It is more abrupt getting into heavy boost, not a progressive and linear, smooth transition. Also, when closing the throttle completely from say around 2,000 rpms or less in 3 gear of lower, the transition is very abrupt and noticeable, not like a stock GT2. I had EVOMS adjust the throttle responsiveness in the map after I received their tune and it helped but it is still there.

Questions for those who have either this same tune for their 997 GT2, or have the Cobb Accessport tuner with a stock tune or custom tune, or have gone from EVOMS to Accessport.

1) how is your power transition up through the revs?
2) how is your transition from say 1/4 throttle to closed throttle in 3rd gear or lower? Smooth like a stock GT2 or abrupt and noticeable?
3) how does the Cobb tune perform in low and mid-range and transition into heavy boost? Is it smooth like the stock GT2 but just more, or is it really hard hitting?

Trying to decide whether to have EVOMS do some more work to smooth it out or to go to Cobb.

Thanks in advance.
1) EVOMS tune for

Old 04-28-2019, 03:34 PM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
A custom tune regardless of the platform, COBB or otherwise, should be the answer for you I believe.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:14 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
I have a custom EVOMS tune in my car, a 997.1TT manual 6 speed. My car is a bit built up from stock- 3.8L conversion, carrillo rods, EVOMS studs, GMG World Challenge IC's, Full GMG exhaust and headers, sports cats, and 68mm VTG's. My car also has the EVOMS boost recirc valves, lightweight flywheel, as well as Do88 intake pipes. However, the fuel system is still stock- it's tuned to run on 91 pump gas here on the west coast. . The car runs beautifully and has very very smooth power transition. Boost comes on very smoothly and the car pulls like a freight train to redline. Again, it is very linear and smooth. Likewise, getting off throttle, I do NOT experience anything like you are experiencing. EVOMS did a custom tune when GMG did the motor build, and it runs flawlessly. I would think that Sam Stone and his crew at EVOMS could look at your datalogs and make some changes to smooth things out for you. He has been great to work with from my perspective- very responsive and very knowledgeable.

Hope this helps, and good luck!