997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Low idle, but car runs fine/smooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Low idle, but car runs fine/smooth

Lately I've noticed if I'm coming to a stop from higher in the rev range, the RPMs occasionally fall dangerously low, to around 500rpm, before immediately rising back up to a more healthy ~800rpm idle. Yesterday they dropped so low that the car actually died, luckily at an empty stop sign. It fired right back up like nothing's wrong. A couple weeks ago, it seemed to hang at 1100rpm idle for a couple seconds before settling to its normal 800rpm range. Once it gets back to normal idle, it's rock solid there and doesn't waver around, the issue only seems to pop up if I'm at 4000+ rpm and go into neutral/disengage the clutch and let the revs fall.

There's no CEL and my Durametric shows no faults. I must not be good at searching because it seems like everyone else with a similar issue describes a rough idle, rough cold starts, misfires, etc. but in my case the car still runs strong and smooth at all times. Plugs and coils were just replaced 3000 miles ago, too.

TL;DR: When revs fall they go pretty low before rising up to proper idle, but car runs fine with no faults/lights.

Could it be the MAF needing cleaning? Sticky throttle body?

Last edited by Skwerl; 05-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have a lwfw on?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
No, stock flywheel as far as I'm aware.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Skwerl
No, stock flywheel as far as I'm aware.

Do you have a new upgraded clutch?

Also....check your clutch fluid reservoir under the frunk by the firewall. Does your cap screw on correctly to a tight close?

Old 05-11-2019, 03:19 PM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
gen 1 or 2?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
My guess would be MAF/MAP sensor related. Make sure all those connections are on there, and check your coupler connections to make sure your not leaking air anywhere