6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Could use some advice- Porsche newbie here (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/431187-could-use-some-advice-porsche-newbie-here.html)

thekanezzi 05-08-2019 06:55 PM

Could use some advice- Porsche newbie here

Hello gents,

I need some advice from you more senior members on here, I want to learn from your car buying and owning experiences.

TLDR: I am debating on getting a 997 turbo, but Im worried I wont enjoy the car in the long term.

Basically, I am car shopping for a new toy. In the past Ive had a 700hp Coyote mustang, 600 hp LS FD RX7 and a modded 04 cobra. I was raised pretty much around Ferraris. My dad has had several. I think they are overrated, although very beautiful and in many ways fun, just not my thing.

I want another toy, and I want to be captivated enough to keep it. My only real limitations are sub $125k all in price tag and I need 4 seats. I know 911s have tiny seats but I have a tiny family. I dont street race, but i enjoy spirited canyon runs and occasional runway racing. I am looking to get a decently fast car but i want to focus on a very rewarding driving experience. I always thought Id get another american car, mod it and love it. I have already bought a few and after a couple years i get bored. Long story short, I drove a 997.2 turbo and really enjoyed it. It was fast, more raw than I expected, and generally exhilarating. I am thinking the ideal car would be a well optioned 2009 997 turbo in manual.

Here are my concerns:

*Cost- I can comfortably make the payments but it will stretch my budget. I am also worried a bit about upkeep. Overall, I confident I can reasonably buy this car, but not if I am going to get sick of it in a year or two.

*Driving experience- Is a modded 997 really that much more rewarding to drive than a new ZL1, gt350, or other cars for half the price? I know thats a crazy question for most, but I cant say that any GTR or Ferrari Ive driven made me smile more than that stupid fast RX7 I had. Even then I sold that car. That being said, that 997 i drove was very enjoyable.

*Being able to vet out the experience- I don't know anyone with a 997, there doesn't seem to be many for sale and even the ones that I find are out of town and some dealers are understandably reluctant to let me drive them. This concerns me that I may be making a $100k purchase off of a single driving experience I had 9 months ago. Any advice as to how I can get behind a few of these, and maybe even a lightly modded one, to make sure Im into it? I would also add that I have driven 2 991 turbos and have found them much more comfortable but generally boring.

*Settling- These seem to be fairly rare so finding exactly what I want might not be realistic. I am worried that Ill be waiting and never find a car close to what I want.

Other options I have considered include, Gen6 ZL1, New GT500 (if it ever comes out,) Air cooled 911 (never driven one of these either,) and the list goes on. Any other I missing?

I really appreciate any advice you can offer to a young dumb lad about my next purchase

Thank you!

Sobrut911 05-09-2019 07:47 PM

I have a 2011 997.2 TTS which I have owned for 8 years with 46,000 miles on it and it never gets boring. I went for a 200 mile ride yesterday and it felt as exciting as the first ride. I never get tired of its classic look. It’s going to look as good in 30 years as it does today. It’s been problem free. These can be bought for well under $125,000 with a lot less mileage. If you can’t find a local dealer try reaching out to a local Porsche club member who has one and is willing to let you take it for an extended ride.

lflouie 05-09-2019 09:23 PM

new toy

Recently purchased my 1st Porsche, a stunning 2007 (997.1) turbo 6 spd coupe, and was going thru some of the same decisions. You've given some general ideas and of your preferences and background, but there are some further clarifications you'll need to make...how much power is enough, PDKs are very good and the fastest of the manual vs PDK choices, is modding really needed if the car has enough power, just as starters. Is a warranty important, and what mileage are you willing to entertain? Coupe or Cab?

IMO right now the best combination of power, styling, features, technology, warranty and price/value is a 2010-2012 997.2tts for around $100k. I know it is a PDK but it is really fast without any power mods...of course you can add them but it is really overkill. The only mods I'd add would be a DSC suspension controller ($1200) to make a very good car an even better car. No need to throw money or power mods at this car. If you like a more nimble handling, more GT3 like, add a GT2 rear swaybar and a more aggressive alignment and it will noticeably tweak the nimbleness to the next level and provide a more energetic turn in ( $600 for bar and alignment). You can find 2010/2011 997.2tts with CPO in the $90s, and without CPO nearer to $90k.. The 2012 with very low miles will be in the $100 -105k range.

If you must have a 6spd (which is what I wanted and bought) it rules out the Turbo S, so you'd be looking at 997.2tt in 2010, 2011, 2012. These will run roughly $8-10k less than a similarly equipped/mileage/condition Turbo S. They have the new engine ( not mezger) but it is a very good engine with good reliability and sound better..... adding the same DSC and or GT2 swaybar will also liven up the handling.

The 2009 997.1tt 6spd is a good choice, but if power is your primary goal the 997.2 turbo S would be my 1st choice. 2 nd choice, for better overall driveing enjoyment, the 997.2 tt 6spd.

BHR997.2TT 05-10-2019 03:01 AM

Can't go wrong with a 997.2 tt or tts, classic look, reliable and fast. People tend to want manual at first from there past experiences, but the PDK experience is very nice actually as well. If you ever get tired with the power, just add a tune and the car will completely change, the 997.2 respond very well to mods.

thekanezzi 05-10-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sobrut911 (Post 4781402)
I have a 2011 997.2 TTS which I have owned for 8 years with 46,000 miles on it and it never gets boring. I went for a 200 mile ride yesterday and it felt as exciting as the first ride. I never get tired of its classic look. It’s going to look as good in 30 years as it does today. It’s been problem free. These can be bought for well under $125,000 with a lot less mileage. If you can’t find a local dealer try reaching out to a local Porsche club member who has one and is willing to let you take it for an extended ride.

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I love it when people drive their cars instead of rubbing them with diapers and keeping them in the garage. What else have you owned and how does your 997 compare?

I know $125k is high but that's my all in price including TTL, and mods.

Originally Posted by lflouie (Post 4781411)
Recently purchased my 1st Porsche, a stunning 2207 (997.1) turbo 6 spd coupe, and was going thru some of the same decisions. You've given some general ideas and of your preferences and background, but there are some further clarifications you'll need to make...how much power is enough, PDKs are very good and the fastest of the manual vs PDK choices, is modding really needed if the car has enough power, just as starters. Is a warranty important, and what mileage are you willing to entertain? Coupe or Cab?

IMO right now the best combination of power, styling, features, technology, warranty and price/value is a 2010-2012 997.2tts for around $100k. I know it is a PDK but it is really fast without any power mods...of course you can add them but it is really overkill. The only mods I'd add would be a DSC suspension controller ($1200) to make a very good car an even better car. No need to throw money or power mods at this car. If you like a more nimble handling, more GT3 like, add a GT2 rear swaybar and a more aggressive alignment and it will noticeably tweak the nimbleness to the next level and provide a more energetic turn in ( $600 for bar and alignment). You can find 2010/2011 997.2tts with CPO in the $90s, and without CPO nearer to $90k.. The 2012 with very low miles will be in the $100 -105k range.

If you must have a 6spd (which is what I wanted and bought) it rules out the Turbo S, so you'd be looking at 997.2tt in 2010, 2011, 2012. These will run roughly $8-10k less than a similarly equipped/mileage/condition Turbo S. They have the new engine ( not mezger) but it is a very good engine with good reliability and sound better..... adding the same DSC and or GT2 swaybar will also liven up the handling.

The 2009 997.1tt 6spd is a good choice, but if power is your primary goal the 997.2 turbo S would be my 1st choice. 2 nd choice, for better overall driveing enjoyment, the 997.2 tt 6spd.

Lots of excellent information here. Thank you! Congrats on your purchase, I'd love to see a picture!

How much power is enough? Its always just a little more.. I have no problem saying that I love a stupid fast car. A 700whp 911 is my goal however. This is the only reason I want a manual, they can hold the power. Don't get me wrong, I love a manual. I commute 40k miles a year in California in a manual a4. A modded pdk would likely be enough for me honestly but I'm concerned that I'll want more and be restricted by the pdk.

Miles wise the lower the better of course but I'm not really bothered by stuff under 50k miles.

I've owned a vert before and found it enjoyable. I'd consider one depending how similar they are to a coupe. IME, the top going down is awesome but much given up in rigidity and wind noise.

No need for a warranty, I plan to mod.

I have to find a way to drive more of these. I've never driven a manual 911.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by BHR997.2TT (Post 4781429)
Can't go wrong with a 997.2 tt or tts, classic look, reliable and fast. People tend to want manual at first from there past experiences, but the PDK experience is very nice actually as well. If you ever get tired with the power, just add a tune and the car will completely change, the 997.2 respond very well to mods.

I can see why people like the pdk. Ultimately, it is probably the best choice.

It seems like somehow porsche HP numbers =\= every other car HP numbers. This is probably skewing my opinion of how fast a modded 997 really is

lflouie 05-12-2019 06:55 AM

Pic

If you'd like a pic, pm me with your email address.

thekanezzi 05-14-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by lflouie (Post 4781777)

Cant PM yet, not enough privileges

thekanezzi 05-14-2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by lflouie (Post 4781777)

I can’t PM yet, not enough privileges

@pkop2JZ 05-17-2019 09:12 AM

I am on my 2nd 997.1tt 6spd, awesome car!

-Can make great power
-Very reliable with relatively low maintenance
-Not too bad to work on yourself
-Solid investment from a depreciating auto standpoint

cjcam930 05-17-2019 04:40 PM

I can't speak to the other cars you mention as comparisons, but would suggest also checking into the GT3 which offers a very, very different driving experience vs. a TT. You may gravitate more strongly in one direction or the other. (Personally, I want both, as I love turbo street cars and NA race cars.)

Also bear in mind all 997.1's in particular are 10+ year old cars now, so they're quite 'old school' in terms of technology. The minimal driver's aids (nannies) are a plus for many of us, but conversely the entertainment/nav tech is really dated. The '09 dash is somewhat less outdated, but '09s are harder to find.

monsoonhell 05-18-2019 01:48 AM

I don't know how one can get or be bored with a 997 Turbo with a 6 speed manual. All of my cars have been modded and two were show cars (competing in national car shows). The cars you mentioned..no offense but there will be no comparison to the feel, quality and driving experience of a Porsche Twin Turbo and IMO more so with a manual. BloodyHell will never leave my collection of vehicles, just as my custom built hotrod will remain. I had modded and heavily modded such vehicles as a Trailblazer SS, Audi S4, even my 2018 Explorer Sport is modded (just to give you a slight insight into my obsession for modding...when I reached 700 miles, I purchased the LMS Stage 2 Performance Package, plus aftermarket rims).

Look at it this way.. you will not lose "money wise", as compared to those vehicles you mentioned you are interested in. The air cooled Turbo's are insanely priced..which I doubt anyone owning one is fully enjoying what those vehicles can truly do...but then again..the technology and drive is not a match for the newer Turbo models. Every generation, Porsche has improved the performance and technology, the looks are subjective. When I competed in the Ford Nationals, Mustangs were a dime a dozen.. the same can be said for for vettes. You in a 997 Turbo...it is simple.. pick a color and options..and don't look back. nough said..

ROCK 05-22-2019 10:23 AM

You need to test drive a '19 Honda Civic Type R.
After you buy it, tune it with a Ktuner or Hondata flash, buy an Intake System, add a Downpipe and drive.
I bet you will not have more fun from stoplight to stoplight on almost anything else.

thekanezzi 05-22-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by @pkop2JZ (Post 4782617)
I am on my 2nd 997.1tt 6spd, awesome car!

-Can make great power
-Very reliable with relatively low maintenance
-Not too bad to work on yourself
-Solid investment from a depreciating auto standpoint

Great points. I guess my question here is; other cars can do these as well, right? What makes the 911 special?

Originally Posted by campbellcj (Post 4782702)
I can't speak to the other cars you mention as comparisons, but would suggest also checking into the GT3 which offers a very, very different driving experience vs. a TT. You may gravitate more strongly in one direction or the other. (Personally, I want both, as I love turbo street cars and NA race cars.)

Also bear in mind all 997.1's in particular are 10+ year old cars now, so they're quite 'old school' in terms of technology. The minimal driver's aids (nannies) are a plus for many of us, but conversely the entertainment/nav tech is really dated. The '09 dash is somewhat less outdated, but '09s are harder to find.

Ah, a kindred spirit. There really is something special about a balls out NA car. Trust me, a GT3RS is on my radar, specifically a 991. Lotto win comes in today, no question id own a 991 GT3, ill get you one also lol. They aren't in my budget right now and the 997 GT3 doesn't do it for me.

Another excellent point. The lack of nannies is a plus imo. I think it adds to the 'raw' feel of the car and is a nice balance for my personal tolerance.

[QUOTE=monsoonhell;4782740]I don't know how one can get or be bored with a 997 Turbo with a 6 speed manual. All of my cars have been modded and two were show cars (competing in national car shows). The cars you mentioned..no offense but there will be no comparison to the feel, quality and driving experience of a Porsche Twin Turbo and IMO more so with a manual. BloodyHell will never leave my collection of vehicles, just as my custom built hotrod will remain. I had modded and heavily modded such vehicles as a Trailblazer SS, Audi S4, even my 2018 Explorer Sport is modded (just to give you a slight insight into my obsession for modding...when I reached 700 miles, I purchased the LMS Stage 2 Performance Package, plus aftermarket rims).

Look at it this way.. you will not lose "money wise", as compared to those vehicles you mentioned you are interested in. The air cooled Turbo's are insanely priced..which I doubt anyone owning one is fully enjoying what those vehicles can truly do...but then again..the technology and drive is not a match for the newer Turbo models. Every generation, Porsche has improved the performance and technology, the looks are subjective. When I competed in the Ford Nationals, Mustangs were a dime a dozen.. the same can be said for for vettes. You in a 997 Turbo...it is simple.. pick a color and options..and don't look back. nough said..[/QUOTE]

You said it best where I bolded. I'm really thinking its time.

Thank you for guiding me Gents!

Id love more feedback but I'm feeling good about buying a car. Ill report back when I pick one up.

Big Swole 05-23-2019 08:56 AM

997.2 TTS here and I can't say enough great things about it!!

Stock it runs 10's. With my Europipe Exhaust and an off the shelf tune from Cobb and it run's mid 10's and traps 130+ mph.

PDK is awesome!!