997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sick to my stomach, need help/input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 04:51 PM
banton is an unknown quantity at this point
Sick to my stomach, need help/input

Hi All,

Not exactly how I wanted to make my first thread, but it is what it is. After selling my Viper GTS i had for 12 years, I took a year to find my next fun car. With my Supra and then my Viper, spent a lot of money over the course of ownership to make it my own. This time decided to buy a car that was already pretty much as I wanted. Ended up buying a cobalt blue 997.1 with PCCB, Techart body parts, catless exhaust, wheels, tune, etc. Given the crap weather in the Midwest since it arrived last fall, I have less than 500 miles seat time, but really pleased with the purchase.

About a month ago, I noticed a change in exhaust note and responsiveness and figured just a boost leak, exhaust leak or similar. The first shop I took to couldn't trouble shoot due to being lowered and the body kit parts made it too difficult to get on the drive-on lift. Found another shop and took it this morning. They called this afternoon with the diagnosis and got sick to my stomach. Apparently the passenger side turbo actuator arm fell apart and the driver side arm is seized. They said that due to how the turbos assembly is made, the passenger turbo is basically un-repairable and they aren't sure if the driver side arm can be un-seized unless they take it off. Recommended replacing both with stock units or upgraded units and if upgraded units, will need to upgrade the IC's at that time.

My request is can the actuator arms be replaced/repaired and if not, I would just soon go to upgraded VGT's, so need recommendations on a vendor to source them and upgraded IC's, which I was just thinking of going with GT2/997.2 IC's. This is an expense I didn't plan for so soon, so I want to do it right, but also be cost effective for my needs. If I need to upgrade, I would prefer to balance low-end responsiveness vs. top-end performance and anything over 600 AWHP really isn't a priority, but would be my target if I have to do the upgrades.

Thanks in advance for reading and providing any thoughts/recommendations, so I can source what I need and get her back on the road as soon as possible. My hope is to get things ordered early next week and get this process going.

Last edited by banton; 07-05-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:45 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Why are you not just replacing the actuators? By the way there is TSB about lubricating the actuators to prevent problems.

Ed

Old 07-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by lliejk
Why are you not just replacing the actuators? By the way there is TSB about lubricating the actuators to prevent problems.

Ed
Thanks Ed. That was my initial question, do I have to replace the whole turbo assembly if just have a broken rod and/or bad actuator? That seemed odd to me based on what the assembly looks like, but I saw mixed info online on whether that was the case or not.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
I had to replace my turbos last year because of rust and corrosion. I was able to find two super low miles used OEM turbos + actuators for something like $1100 for both. I think new from Porsche they were several grand each. Apart from that, I am pretty sure I remember reading that you can replace just the actuator units. I'd think from how the arms work, with enough lube and penetrating oil you'd be able to unseize the one that's intact.

Last edited by Skwerl; 07-05-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:10 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
That was my thought as well, recondition the one. Actuators are $800 new turbos are $2400,

Ed

Old 07-06-2019, 04:58 AM
turbofan997 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes they can be removed and change

Old 07-06-2019, 05:31 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Old 07-06-2019, 06:26 AM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the actuators can be replaced on their own. I have had this same problem except both my turbos were corroded as well so I couldnt just replace the actuators.
Actuators over here are about $650 each side. good luck

Old 07-06-2019, 08:52 AM
pterwilliger is an unknown quantity at this point
Although mine is a 997.2, i had a similar situation after my first track event - exhaust sounded much different and responsiveness was way off. i was convinced I was looking at a major repair. Issue turned out to be a disconnected turbo actuator rod on the left side turbo. $50 in parts for a new turbo actuator rod + $160 labor. I got off easy this time.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Black Betty is on a distinguished road
I know that feeling, it hits you like a brick and you wanna puke.

There is a lot of great advice here and good folks always willing to help.

Take a deep breath and do some research. Maybe take a look here for a reliable Indy shop in your area.

It's going to be OK! Everyone has your back....

Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
Yup not as big of a problem as it sounds! In fact you very easily could do it yourself!

Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 AM
The shop hasn't been able to source a replacement actuator arm/rod. Anyone happen to know where I can try and buy just the actuator arm in the US?

Thanks for everyone's input and support!

Old 07-08-2019, 12:13 PM
I see it listed at a couple of P-Car dealers, Sonnen being one, but you would want to call to see what they say. They also list just the rod. Same thing you would want to call. Suncoast is another online vendor and AutoAtlanta is another one I have seen. You also have ECS and Pelican for non Porsche providers.

Ed

Old 07-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by lliejk
I see it listed at a couple of P-Car dealers, Sonnen being one, but you would want to call to see what they say. They also list just the rod. Same thing you would want to call. Suncoast is another online vendor and AutoAtlanta is another one I have seen. You also have ECS and Pelican for non Porsche providers.

Ed
Thanks again, Ed. The shop found the parts needed for the passenger side in Atlanta and they shipping them up. Now just have to hope they can get the driver's side arm unseized.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about your bad luck- if it makes you feel any better, my luck was actually worse! I bought a 997.1tt 6MT for fair to upper market value about 18 months ago. Shortly after I bought it, it broke a timing chain and trashed the whole motor. The engine case was OK but valves bent as well as several connecting rods. Metal was found in the oil sump. So I ended up having the entire motor rebuilt....and to a higher standard than stock. It was the full monty- case split, everything apart and replaced or machined. I went with 3.8L forged Mahle p/c, gt3 oil pump, 68mm turbos, carillo rods, EVOMS studs, etc, etc. I also had the cams pinned while it was all apart. It was a huge bill and was quite unpleasant! It left a very unpleasant taste. That being said, the car completely rocks now and is quite fast and is built to last.

If you need to replace the actuators themselves: I have replaced the actuators without dropping the motor or pulling the turbos- so it is indeed feasible. And the actuators are available, although they are expensive- around $900 as I recall.

Once your car is up and running well, you'll forget about all the hassle and money....especially when the turbos spool on a cool traffic free morning. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sick to my stomach, need help/input