997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

pccb's squealing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
skyytek is on a distinguished road
pccb's squealing.

Just started recently - 3500 miles. Sometimes when I am driving on back roads and lightly touching the brakes - they squeal. I have stock PCCB's - anyone else get this ?. I am curious - coz its just started happening.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
it's normal.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
almost 15,000 miles, never a peep but it's not uncommon

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Take it out somewhere safe, punch the gas and slam on your breaks hard a few times. You just need to plow the dust out. Lots of "girlie" breaking can cause this I was told - break hard (but make sure nobody is behind you). I have 3500 miles on mine and no squeals.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by gretapass
Take it out somewhere safe, punch the gas and slam on your breaks hard a few times. You just need to plow the dust out. Lots of "girlie" breaking can cause this I was told - break hard (but make sure nobody is behind you). I have 3500 miles on mine and no squeals.
thanks greta. good idea. I will try over this weekend.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:21 AM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Its not "girlie" braking. My TT PCCBs squeal like a bunch of pigs in heat almost every day. Even at Pocono Raceway under EXTREMELY HARD braking slowing my ***** down from 155 (to maybe 50) into the first infield turn (under wet conditions no less) you could hear some squealing. As I am a novice driver, I inquired of the real club racers who told me that ALL PCCBs squeak - its just a matter of how loud and how often. Like spanking the monkey - once a day or once a year ..... well you get the point (sorry for the corny analogy).

Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The holes in your rotors get filled w brake dust, yes even pccbs, use some brake cleaner or go to and old school diy car wash and really blow 'em out.
Tortesq, you going to LRP on the 3rd?
c

Old 08-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Chris,

Unfortunately I simply do not have the ability to simply "take-off" unless I plan everything months in advance. I'm just dying to go back to the track after the Pocono long track experience, but my court calendar/trial schedule is just crazy. Its so bad that I'm forgoing my annual "guys" trip in Oct./Nov. to the DR which is a whole week of fun !!!

I thought I would hit Lime Rock, but, once again, I got hit with a trial. Trials on 9/2, 9/18, 10/30 and 11/10. My best shot for track time will be a NY Metro PCA DRE either between 11/17-11/28 for 1 day (maybe) or I should simply book 2009 now. Does NY Metro PCA have a 2009 schedule yet ? Probably too early. Maybe if these sons of ***** insurance companies would actually settle some cases I could get some more track time. Don't they understand the need for speed ? Freaking insurance carriers have no heart (LOL).

Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
crd
crd is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine squeal a little from time to time. Impossible to predict, impossible to prevent. Never persists for more than a few days. Probably due to vibration of the pads rather than dust in the dics holes. I had a touch of squeal yesterday with very light pedal, and the discs are fine after 2 days at Summit Pt.

Use the brakes normally, it'll most likely go away.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Chris,

Unfortunately I simply do not have the ability to simply "take-off" unless I plan everything months in advance. I'm just dying to go back to the track after the Pocono long track experience, but my court calendar/trial schedule is just crazy. Its so bad that I'm forgoing my annual "guys" trip in Oct./Nov. to the DR which is a whole week of fun !!!

I thought I would hit Lime Rock, but, once again, I got hit with a trial. Trials on 9/2, 9/18, 10/30 and 11/10. My best shot for track time will be a NY Metro PCA DRE either between 11/17-11/28 for 1 day (maybe) or I should simply book 2009 now. Does NY Metro PCA have a 2009 schedule yet ? Probably too early. Maybe if these sons of ***** insurance companies would actually settle some cases I could get some more track time. Don't they understand the need for speed ? Freaking insurance carriers have no heart (LOL).
I'd check out PDA they have a lot of track days, www.pdadrivingschool.com.
Don't tell me you're a malpractice lawyer!
Mortal enemies..
jk

Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Chris,

PDA looks interesting, particularly the open track days. Although I only did the PCA thing once I was, IMHO in the wrong class. I could have easily run in the yellow class with the instructor. I think I'd be biased against the PCA DRE based on the instructors wanting to arbitrarily hold me back. They would rather have me drive slow perfect lines than drive fast, but thats no fun. I would rather be extremely fast and a "little sloppy", so long as I pose no danger to myself and others drivers. I really wouldn't want to do 3 or 5 more DRE's before going to the yellow group. I know it sounds obscenely arrogant for a true novice, but I really was faster than the others in the green group - I'm sure the yellow group would kick my ***, or at a minimum, hold my feet to the fire. For the record - I'm a 100% plaintiff side negligence atty. (I'm the black sheep in a family of MDs and DDSs). I have 1 wrongful death med mal case where we rep the wife and 3 children against a hospital and a couple of surgeons who all but admitted that they killed this guy. Sorry for the OT statement. Hey what does ANY of this have to do with squealing PCCBs ?

Old 08-23-2008, 06:36 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Well maybe that is why my pccb's don't squeal - I wash them well and carefully at least once every week. ???

Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Just to add a data point here: my PCCB brake has never squealed. I don't take the car to the track but do drive (and brake) hard occasionallly. I have not had to do the brake break-in procedure.
For washing, I don't do anything out of the ordinary. Soap, spray water, leaf blower.
That said, I've been told that squealing with Porsche brakes, both iron and PCCB, is "normal."

Last edited by cannga; 08-26-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
my pccb's were perfectly quiet till about 8-9k miles.. now they make a lil noise from time to time, under light pressure. It's annoying yes.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
my pccb's were perfectly quiet till about 8-9k miles.. now they make a lil noise from time to time, under light pressure. It's annoying yes.
Mine came on about the 3-4K mark.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pccb's squealing.