997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport Chrono Package Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 AM
spyderandrew is on a distinguished road
Sport Chrono Package Plus

what does Sport Chrono Package Plus do to the car compare with the car without this package?? and can this be add on ??? thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Check the 500 threads on this subject for more detail - but in general there are two camps. Those that understand SC does nothing for the performance of the car, and those that like the features (wart on the dash, hard-to-use timing function, and some sort of memory functions for power seats). No, it can't be added (not that anyone without it would want to anyway).

Old 12-29-2007, 08:26 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget it's also how I turn my PSE on and off.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't there a PSE button for that? I've read here so many times that people have to press all sorts of buttons when they have such options - Sport for SC, then Un-sport to put PASM back to normal... Very confusing.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RonCT
Check the 500 threads on this subject for more detail - but in general there are two camps. Those that understand SC does nothing for the performance of the car, and those that like the features (wart on the dash, hard-to-use timing function, and some sort of memory functions for power seats). No, it can't be added (not that anyone without it would want to anyway).
^^^^ +1.

Recently during Walter Rohl's latest interviews regarding his Nurburgring laptimes with the GT2 and Turbo, he mentioned that he had Sport Chrono and PASM turned off, in order to achieve his best times.

When Porsche first released the Carrera and Carrera S, they mentioned that the Sport Chrono/PASM button would cut seconds off the clock during their laps. They then never validated, and neither did Sport Auto (although there are several lap times for the Carrera S ranging from 7:59 to 8:05).

The best thing you could do is test it out and see if you like it. I like mine because it does give the car the appearance that it's more eager to rev, and is a nice gimick to show to passengers in the car Either way, if you are in the US, you will get PASM standard since Porsche doesn't offer us the -20mm suspension with Limited slip diff like in other parts of the world.

If you get it, you won't regret it since you can always ignore the button. The only regret I have with ordering my car was that I didn't order the adaptive sport seats! Those really make a difference, IMHO.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spyder997s
^^^^ +1.

Recently during Walter Rohl's latest interviews regarding his Nurburgring laptimes with the GT2 and Turbo, he mentioned that he had Sport Chrono and PASM turned off, in order to achieve his best times.

When Porsche first released the Carrera and Carrera S, they mentioned that the Sport Chrono/PASM button would cut seconds off the clock during their laps. They then never validated, and neither did Sport Auto (although there are several lap times for the Carrera S ranging from 7:59 to 8:05).

The best thing you could do is test it out and see if you like it. I like mine because it does give the car the appearance that it's more eager to rev, and is a nice gimick to show to passengers in the car Either way, if you are in the US, you will get PASM standard since Porsche doesn't offer us the -20mm suspension with Limited slip diff like in other parts of the world.

If you get it, you won't regret it since you can always ignore the button. The only regret I have with ordering my car was that I didn't order the adaptive sport seats! Those really make a difference, IMHO.
Walter had Sport mode off not Sport Chrono off. You can order the car with Sport Chrono, don't believe it can be added after that.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Nugget is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Walter had Sport mode off not Sport Chrono off.
Isn't that the same thing?

Originally Posted by spyder997s
If you get it, you won't regret it since you can always ignore the button.
Not entirely true. If you have PSE and Sport Chrono there is no way to operate the two independently. You can't "turn on" the PSE exhaust sound without also turning on the the "sport mode" throttle map. I don't care for the twitchy throttle map and I had to hack my PSE to be always on, otherwise I'd never get to hear it. A PSE car without Sport Chrono will have a button just for the PSE so that it can be controlled by itself.

I have SC in my car and I certainly wouldn't buy it again. Total waste, imho. The money spent on on the SC would have paid for three or four track days.

Last edited by Nugget; 12-29-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
[quote=Nugget;1563489]Isn't that the same thing? No - it's called Sport mode. Sport Chono is the option package that includes the "wart", sport mode, individual memory options and other stuff.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
rah79 is on a distinguished road
[quote=jhbrennan;1563514]
Originally Posted by Nugget
Isn't that the same thing? No - it's called Sport mode. Sport Chono is the option package that includes the "wart", sport mode, individual memory options and other stuff.

Agree....I love the sports chrono package....best part is the Sport mode where it changes the throttle reponse time and feel. I see we have a few people who don't care for it but I use it with it ON and I notice a big difference in driving experience.

Just my .03 cents

Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 AM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
i personally like my sports chrono plus .........i know it only feels faster but i like, and as for the wart on the dash i think it looks pretty cool.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Rivan is on a distinguished road
You also get a sport mode for PSM in the Sport Chrono Package Plus which could be useful for some people. Other than program the auto lock feature by myself, I don't use all other features much. I use the wart and PSM lap diagram display only when my passenger ask me about the wart. I personally like the wart display on the console. I agree with Nugget the downside is no separate button for PSE.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Vegasguy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by spyderandrew
what does Sport Chrono Package Plus do to the car compare with the car without this package?? and can this be add on ??? thanks.
As I see it, the only real use for the Sport Chrono Package is the "Individual Memory" of the keys, and thats only if you have more than one driver. Each person's key (up to three keys) stores that persons preferences: air conditioning, seat position, DRL's, etc. The other technical stuff is useless (IMO) most of the time. Besides, the car has a Sport mode without the $960 option. I wouldn't buy it again (my wife rarely drives the car).

Last edited by Vegasguy; 12-29-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
As I see it, the only real use for the Sport Chrono Package is the "Individual Memory" of the keys, and thats only if you have more than one driver. Each person's key (up to three keys) stores that persons preferences: air conditioning, seat position, DRL's, etc. The other technical stuff is useless (IMO) most of the time. Besides, the car has a Sport mode without the $960 option. I wouldn't buy it again (my wife rarely drives the car).
With individual memory you can also set some other features using the PCM - can't remember them all but you can turn on DRL and change the time on how long the headlamps stay on after exiting, etc.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM
C4S
C4S is on a distinguished road
Sport Chrono Plus is Great

For 920 bucks You get

1. Better throttle response...check the sales brochure. It is remapped to give more aggressive feel to pedal. You really notice it.

2. You can set a lot of features like daytime running lights, auto locking doors, about 5-6 in all.

3. PASM goes on when you hit the sport button at the same time. So you get remapped thottle with PSAM together. Car feels even better on a smooth twisty road!!!

4. Ugly lap timer.

I love the feature!!!!

You can't add it later.

My three cents.

2007 C4S

Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
ak996TT is on a distinguished road
yes, I concur

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package Plus