997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why Does the Carrera S "Rattle" When Starting Cold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
THinthedesert is on a distinguished road
Why Does the Carrera S "Rattle" When Starting Cold?

I've noticed when I start my car & the engine is cold from sitting overnight, it gives sort of a "rattle" sound when it first starts up. I've even noticed a similar sound when I leave a light and may be lugging it a little, or in second gear just crawling around a corner such as I'd di in a residential neighborhood. The sound is not always there, but it does always seem to be there when the engine is cold.

I seem to recall the dealer salesperson telling me that the "S" model does that when it first starts up.

Any comments from those of you that know a lot more than I do would be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
I wondered the same thing. I almost sounds as if a portion of the exhaust system is loose. It goes away after a few minutes and I've never noticed it outside of first starting it up.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
My 05 C2S cab did the same at startup. At times I thought it sounded as if it had PSE when first starting. I kind of liked it. My 07 Targa doesn't seem to do it, or at least not as much.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
MartinJF is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same - the noise goes away after a few minutes, I just don't worry about it, just part of the car's personality.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
I believe it is due to an emissions device...perhaps an airpump which could cause the rattling/burbling sound.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 AM
CBnAT is on a distinguished road
It's just warning everyone to get out of our way.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CBnAT
It's just warning everyone to get out of our way.
hahhaaha.

except one person asked me what's wrong with your engine?
lol.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Mine sounds like a giant popcorn maker from a cold start.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lig
Mine sounds like a giant popcorn maker from a cold start.
mines too

Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Cloak&Dagger is on a distinguished road
All the 3.8's do it MOST noticably. It's part of emissions; but no worries. She has her own sound.

I love seeing peoples reaction to it when it starts up. Especially the stuffy-up nosed- types. (aka Lexus owners)(snooore!!)

Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Andre5 will become famous soon enoughAndre5 will become famous soon enough
Just switched to aftermarket mufflers (Remus) - no more rattle on start up.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM
GraSox is on a distinguished road
Rattle

I took mine to the dealer twice with the same issue. He said it is normal and I forget exactly the reason but it sounded iffy at best. They told me it was just the "throaty sound of the car"
I then read an article in the PCA mag that a guy wrote on all the little issues he had with his 997 S. The rattle on start up was one of them. He too took it to the dealer 3 times and finally he had them listen to the driver side muffler at start up. It goes away after a minute or two. They replaced the muffler and the sound went away. They said some baffles in the muffler were loose.
I wonder if its a flaw in the muffler some how?
I plan to go back with a copy of the article and see if I can get it resolved......but sounds like it will be a lot of effort to get them to deal with it.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
My Boxster S does the same thing.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
Same thing with my TT plus an added bonuses of a puff of black smoke from the turbos...hehehe :-)

Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Nugget is on a distinguished road
My 3.8 (with PSE) didn't used to do this, but it started a few weeks ago. It definitely sounds like a loose piece in the exhaust. Goes away once the car has warmed up, but it sure sounds cheap and broken until then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Does the Carrera S "Rattle" When Starting Cold?