997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

price sanity check on this '05 997

Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
bitterazn is on a distinguished road
Ahh the hunt continues.

How does this car sound to people? Sorry for the bajillion posts, I'm just hoping to get this wrapped up by Friday so I can enjoy it over the holiday! Also I think I know the answer to this but just to make sure - how do I drive this car off the lot w/o insurance?

'05 997 C2S
$58k w/ CPO through 12/10
35k miles
GT silver / black

bose
heated/power seats
chrono package

A whole lot more miles, but $6k off the front end which sounds more than reasonable. I lose the clear bra + k40 but I gain GT silver . . .

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
i would get the lower milage car.......BUT with the new CPO... and coverage until 100K i think is does not really matter.

try to get if for at least 56K

Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
KeyserSoze is on a distinguished road
I would go with the S but the price seems steep for a '05 with limited options.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
i would get the lower milage car.......BUT with the new CPO... and coverage until 100K i think is does not really matter.

try to get if for at least 56K
I'm not sure I'm going to get it for $56k. Maybe $57 or 57.5k, but it's really been like pulling teeth to get more than $2k off of the ask (which was $60k).

The mileage is somewhat worrisome for me on the back end (in that it will resell for less), but I think the ~$6k discount sounds reasonable, no? (I guess $4-5k if you discount the lack of clear bra / radar detector).

Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 PM
phil_m is on a distinguished road
See if you can get it for 56 and start driving it Hey that GT Silver is a sweet color.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
I would go with the S but the price seems steep for a '05 with limited options.
Are you referring to the price for the S in GT silver or black?

They both feel moderately optioned to me given that xenons/19" wheels are standard (chrono, bose, heated/power seats, wheel caps). What else would I be looking for besides leather? The black one is nice in that it has clear bra and k40, but my understanding is that the nav is not worthwhile . . .

Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
I would hold firm at 56k, they might call your bluff and sell to someone else, but unless you are dying to get it it today and you must have it, I would wait. At 57-58k you can get one with lower miles. Anyone who says it isn't a buyer's market is in denial. Stand firm and hold out!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
I would hold firm at 56k, they might call your bluff and sell to someone else, but unless you are dying to get it it today and you must have it, I would wait. At 57-58k you can get one with lower miles. Anyone who says it isn't a buyer's market is in denial. Stand firm and hold out!!!
I've unfortunately been standing firm/holding out for 4 months now!

My main realization was that w/ my new job starting up, I won't have time to go to CA or FL where there's a lot of volume (plus a few trips would eat up a lot of the savings unless I found a private sale).

I know everyone says there's a big drop in value at 10k and 50k. But how big is that? $4-5k each milestone?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
10K is a huge psychological drop . It effects mostly those who trade in the car but if buying it's great leverage point to negotiate 3K less .

50K is huge in every aspect . In fact a car with 48K miles vs a 52K mile car might list the same on auto trader but don't kid yourself --I would knock 10K off before even driving to look at it . (ie -- an 05 S selling in the low 60's ought to sell in the low 50's over the 50K mi mark) .

Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
10K is a huge psychological drop . It effects mostly those who trade in the car but if buying it's great leverage point to negotiate 3K less .

50K is huge in every aspect . In fact a car with 48K miles vs a 52K mile car might list the same on auto trader but don't kid yourself --I would knock 10K off before even driving to look at it . (ie -- an 05 S selling in the low 60's ought to sell in the low 50's over the 50K mi mark) .
I would agree that '05 997's near the 50k mile mark sell for much less than their 15-30k counterparts ($10k may be true after bargaining, and they certainly list for $6-7k less).

However, I'm thinking of how much the price disparity between an '05 997S should be now, assuming a 17k car and a 35k car in similar condition and both w/ "factory warranty-esque" CPO.

That is to say, 2-3 years from now, one will resell w/ 37k miles and the other with 55k. But at the same time, I'm assuming they'll be worth more $40k at that point, so a $10k drop-off sounds a touch high as a %. A superficial search makes it look more like a $5k difference for a car w/ ~40k miles vs. one w/ 55-60k.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bitterazn
I would agree that '05 997's near the 50k mile mark sell for much less than their 15-30k counterparts ($10k may be true after bargaining, and they certainly list for $6-7k less).

However, I'm thinking of how much the price disparity between an '05 997S should be now, assuming a 17k car and a 35k car in similar condition and both w/ "factory warranty-esque" CPO.

That is to say, 2-3 years from now, one will resell w/ 37k miles and the other with 55k. But at the same time, I'm assuming they'll be worth more $40k at that point, so a $10k drop-off sounds a touch high as a %. A superficial search makes it look more like a $5k difference for a car w/ ~40k miles vs. one w/ 55-60k.
The 50K mile mark on any car is a big hit but on a Porsche it's huge . BTW --if you think Porsche is bad Ferrari and Lambo are even more mileage priced challenged .

I can't say wherther a well cared for 55K mile car won't find a buyer but don't count on it being a dealership trade in or a buyer who is very picky about miles . In fact buyers looking for a 50K mi Porsche might even run into financing dilemas with a high mileage out of warranty car.

I know that many tout the CPO --but my advice would be to look very closely at what is or isn;t covered .

I have never owned a 50+ K mi car so I am not a good person to nit pic the service dilemas .

Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Done!

Final decision time! Please give any input you have! I greatly appreciate it.

So after 9 hours of driving around the tri-state area and seeing 3 cars, I think I made a decision. I would love people's opinions, since tomorrow's the deadline for getting my deposit back.

'05 997 C2S
$57.5k
35k miles
CPO through 10/29/10
I would classify it as "good" condition (no substantial outer damage besides a few rock chips + wheel rash, some inner wear but nothing unusual)

GT silver / black leather
chrono, bose, power/heated seats, caps, rear wiper + standard S goodies
brand new P-zeros on front and back

For better or worse, it's engine was entirely rebuilt under factory warranty in February '08 due to the bearing problem common in '05 997s. I honestly am not sure how much of a minus that is.

Thoughts?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't buy it- Especially since you can find one with lower miles for around that price, and in better shape. New motor may be a plus for some but makes me nervous. What if the car was built on "beer friday"? Wheel rash etc? no way. Just my humble opinion..
BTW silver and black cars are not commanding the strongest prices. Have you expanded your search across the entire US? I looked at about 25 cars both local and far away before I bought.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
phil_m is on a distinguished road
I would go for it, and drive the heck out of it Figure it still has 2 years left on the warranty if anything happens. Can't wait to pick mine up on Saturday

Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
btw, is it a newer CPO (8/1/08 or later) or an older CPO? newer CPO is 100% coverage, older CPO is not.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: price sanity check on this '05 997