997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

price sanity check on this '05 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
bitterazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
btw, is it a newer CPO (8/1/08 or later) or an older CPO? newer CPO is 100% coverage, older CPO is not.
it was CPO'd on 8/14/08, so I'm pretty sure it's the "newer" CPO.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Its up to you!

I don't think its a screaming deal.... you could get better or you could get worse.

FYI: In July I saw:
1 - 2005 997S with 10K sell for 58K (Private)
2 - 2005 997S with 8K sell for 61K (CPO)

Both those cars have a lot less miles than the one you are getting.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I wouldn't buy it- Especially since you can find one with lower miles for around that price, and in better shape. New motor may be a plus for some but makes me nervous. What if the car was built on "beer friday"? Wheel rash etc? no way. Just my humble opinion..
BTW silver and black cars are not commanding the strongest prices. Have you expanded your search across the entire US? I looked at about 25 cars both local and far away before I bought.
I've been searching pretty hard to find one w/ lower miles for around that price, and it was pretty tough. CPO'd C2S's in the 15-20k range seem to be going for $60-65k, particularly in the Northeast. I did look country-wide, but realistically the $1-2k savings from flying to the West Coast would be lost in time/money and would risk wasted dead-ends.

Wheel rash was pretty minor. All three cars i saw had it to some degree. I'm referring to some scraping near the lip of the wheel. Maybe I'm not using the right term? Scratches were limited to some rock chips on the front - that GT silver really hides imperfections well. Main comestic issues were actually on the interior, but supposedly most of that would come out in detailing (we'll see on that one . . .).

New motor doesn't make me nervous due to CPO for 2 years. I'm more concerned that could scare away a potential buyer when I try to resell it 2 years from now.

People here were thinking it'd be worth $56k w/ that mileage. Is that still right? If I ate $1.5k on this car, I'm okay w/ it, since time/hassle/impatience were beginning to reach unbearable levels!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 PM
The private sales are pretty rare in the NE, but 2005 997S w/ 8k at $61k - that's definitely a much better deal than what I got.

It sounds like you think it's roughly fair? Ultimately, I was looking to get lose $2k or less from "fair" (not screamer, but okay deal) just because w/ my new job starting, the time to take these jaunts to NY/NJ/CT where all these cars are located would be limited.

What would have been a screamer deal on a car w/ this many miles?

Originally Posted by mobonic
Its up to you!

I don't think its a screaming deal.... you could get better or you could get worse.

FYI: In July I saw:
1 - 2005 997S with 10K sell for 58K (Private)
2 - 2005 997S with 8K sell for 61K (CPO)

Both those cars have a lot less miles than the one you are getting.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I'm with these guys, bitterzn . I would not buy it . Too many miles , too high, and the car has a story . I's be more than happy to give you some phone numbers of sales folks in Florida . I have no idea what they have in stock because my car has been trouble free. Just PM me . I have bought my cars from two different dealerships and both are outstanding. It's too bad you aren't in Turbo territory because I know a great car in California . it belonged to a friend of mine who was meticulous with it . m

Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bitterazn
I've been searching pretty hard to find one w/ lower miles for around that price, and it was pretty tough. CPO'd C2S's in the 15-20k range seem to be going for $60-65k, particularly in the Northeast. I did look country-wide, but realistically the $1-2k savings from flying to the West Coast would be lost in time/money and would risk wasted dead-ends.

Wheel rash was pretty minor. All three cars i saw had it to some degree. I'm referring to some scraping near the lip of the wheel. Maybe I'm not using the right term? Scratches were limited to some rock chips on the front - that GT silver really hides imperfections well. Main comestic issues were actually on the interior, but supposedly most of that would come out in detailing (we'll see on that one . . .).

New motor doesn't make me nervous due to CPO for 2 years. I'm more concerned that could scare away a potential buyer when I try to resell it 2 years from now.

People here were thinking it'd be worth $56k w/ that mileage. Is that still right? If I ate $1.5k on this car, I'm okay w/ it, since time/hassle/impatience were beginning to reach unbearable levels!
I think you have s fair deal esp with the new CPO warranty...

i've been looking also and your price seems right in the middle of the ballpark....

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I'm with these guys, bitterzn . I would not buy it . Too many miles , too high, and the car has a story . I's be more than happy to give you some phone numbers of sales folks in Florida . I have no idea what they have in stock because my car has been trouble free. Just PM me . I have bought my cars from two different dealerships and both are outstanding. It's too bad you aren't in Turbo territory because I know a great car in California . it belonged to a friend of mine who was meticulous with it . m
Ihave been looking in the Northeast also, I hpoe your not buying it from Manhattan Motor Cars, they buy alot of the used from auctions, enough said.

Yrralis alway gives sound advice on this board from what I've seen.. best listen to him..and honestly, the car has a history, If your worried about resale, I would go with a different 05 ie,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

or go for an 06. There's a guy named Chris Montescelo? at Paul Miller in Parsippany NJ, good man he will find you a car.. be patient, I've been looking for 8 months, some good deals are starting to appear. Just buy before March hits..prices go up, IMHO< as summer approaches.

Good luck!!

Thump

Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by NYCPCAR
Ihave been looking in the Northeast also, I hpoe your not buying it from Manhattan Motor Cars, they buy alot of the used from auctions, enough said.

Yrralis alway gives sound advice on this board from what I've seen.. best listen to him..and honestly, the car has a history, If your worried about resale, I would go with a different 05 ie,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

or go for an 06. There's a guy named Chris Montescelo? at Paul Miller in Parsippany NJ, good man he will find you a car.. be patient, I've been looking for 8 months, some good deals are starting to appear. Just buy before March hits..prices go up, IMHO< as summer approaches.

Good luck!!

Thump
Naw, it's Legend Porsche in Long Island. I've found Manhattan/Greenwich/etc. dealerships to be really obnoxious since they're used to pretty uneducated/price-insensitive buyers.

I always appreciate everyone's advice, I'm just not sure it's always "realistic." Not to say these prices aren't attainable, just that they're not necessarily easy for those who can't dedicate a substantial amount of time to the search (e.g. it's one thing to say "I saw this car go for X," but it kind of ignores the scores of transactions that occur for way higher).

Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I think you have s fair deal esp with the new CPO warranty...

i've been looking also and your price seems right in the middle of the ballpark....
Yeah I would agree that for what I'm seeing right now, this looks pretty average.

I mean just looking at the Porsche website, an '05 C2 w/ CPO @ 15-20k miles is offered at $59-65k. The lowest I've been able to get one at is $54k, but that's for one that was pretty stripped out (and at 21k miles).

'05 C2S's w/ CPO are at a minimum $60k offer, and any near the $60k number are 25k+ miles.

Maybe inventory right now is just particularly weak?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Based on your statements I have some questions and comments :

First --the facts that you shared
1) The car has 35K miles
2) Engine rebuild Feb 08
3) CPO August 08

You stated the dealership so I looked up their website (to see if they had other cars which might sound more appealing) and saw yoir potential car listed as the only C2S on the list .

So here's my questions -
The mileage on the website is 32900 . If it now has 35K where did the 2K miles come from?

Do you think it's from a lot of test drives OR some sort of issue?
Do you think that the recent CPO is in itself odd ?

I don't like high mileage cars . I don't know anything about this car outside of what you shared and what's on their website and when I place it all together it raises questions and doubts .

Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Based on your statements I have some questions and comments :

First --the facts that you shared
1) The car has 35K miles
2) Engine rebuild Feb 08
3) CPO August 08

You stated the dealership so I looked up their website (to see if they had other cars which might sound more appealing) and saw yoir potential car listed as the only C2S on the list .

So here's my questions -
The mileage on the website is 32900 . If it now has 35K where did the 2K miles come from?

Do you think it's from a lot of test drives OR some sort of issue?
Do you think that the recent CPO is in itself odd ?

I don't like high mileage cars . I don't know anything about this car outside of what you shared and what's on their website and when I place it all together it raises questions and doubts .
You raise an interesting point. There was definitely some confusion in their online postings (mixing up the C2 and the C2S they have). That being said, looking through their AutoCheck and the service reports, it had 32k miles when it was CPO'd on 8/14/08, so I'm not sure how it got so many miles in two weeks. I'll definitely ask that.

I'm not sure why a recent CPO would be odd. It would imply the car was traded in a few weeks ago, no?

I agree that there seem to be some questions on this car. If they don't have a good answer to the mileage disparity, I think that may be the last straw.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by bitterazn
You raise an interesting point. There was definitely some confusion in their online postings (mixing up the C2 and the C2S they have). That being said, looking through their AutoCheck and the service reports, it had 32k miles when it was CPO'd on 8/14/08, so I'm not sure how it got so many miles in two weeks. I'll definitely ask that.

I'm not sure why a recent CPO would be odd. It would imply the car was traded in a few weeks ago, no?

I agree that there seem to be some questions on this car. If they don't have a good answer to the mileage disparity, I think that may be the last straw.
1) How would you verify their answer when an apparent contradiction is pointed out to them ? Don;t you think they would say anything to appease you ?
2K miles is a lot of miles from the day they wrote it until present time.

2) A CPO on an engine rebuild is like a bandage over a wound . In order to get the rebuild some previous owner faced an emotional negative with the car .

Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks a ton for pointing this out. They didn't have an answer at all so I walked away from the deal.

Though I'm still not sure I understand how cpo's a bandaid? Original owner had the engine go in february, got it rebuilt. Traded in the car in august (supposedly to get a 09 c2s with pdk, but who knows) and the dealer cpo'd it. Why does that in itself seem odd?

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I was okay with overpaying for the car, but I was not okay with unquantifiable unknowns like not being able to trust the maintenance reports.

Guess I'll keep looking!

1) How would you verify their answer when an apparent contradiction is pointed out to them ? Don;t you think they would say anything to appease you ?
2K miles is a lot of miles from the day they wrote it until present time.

2) A CPO on an engine rebuild is like a bandage over a wound . In order to get the rebuild some previous owner faced an emotional negative with the car .

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
ehh.. I've found that dealers / salesmen are never completely honest or forthcoming when it comes to answering history questions on a car. Always do your own homework such as running a carfax. When I was pcar shopping, I came across two dealership cars that looked like good deals. I ran carfaxes on the cars, and both had been involved in a major accident (airbag deployed, frond end replaced, drivers door replaced etc etc). -Of course when I inquired about the cars the salesman and sales manager did not disclose this.

Keep looking, be patient. Maybe expand your search across all USA. You'll fnd the right one and you'll just "know it" when you come across it. Your present shopping experiences will help make the right one obvious.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Blackdog is on a distinguished road
Bitterazn,
I have one for sale on ebay. I am the original owner of a 2006 911 Carrera S Black/Black 6 speed 10,500 miles. Beautiful condition. I am from NJ. Email me if you are interested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: price sanity check on this '05 997