997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

price sanity check on this '05 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:40 PM
bitterazn is on a distinguished road
price sanity check on this '05 997

Aite guys, getting pretty close to pulling the trigger and want to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself. For context, I've been looking for about 4 or 5 months now, hoping to get into a ~25k mileage '05 997 for about $50k. However, I was willing to pay a slight premium for a better condition car that had been a garage queen of a fellow 6speeder or Rennlister just for peace of mind.

I've been getting antsy since I hoped to buy before my new job started (Sept) and since I moved into a new place where I'm paying an extra $350/month for parking that is currently unused.

Here are my three options that are in the immediate area:

'05 997
$52k, $54k CPO
22k miles
silver/black
under warranty until 03/09
xenon, nav, heated seats, sport shifter, 3m bra

'05 997 (fastlane's old car)
$53.5k, $57k CPO (hoping to get them down to $55.5k w/ CPO)
14k miles
silver/black
under warranty until 12/08
xenon, bose, 19" wheels, heated seats, power seats, chrono package, fabspeed intake/exhaust/cats, h&r springs, ultimate pedals

'05 997 S
$61k CPO
15k miles
silver/black
under warranty until 12/08
bose, heated front seats

I'm leaning towards fastlane's car since it's got some nice aftermarket mods and should pull as hard as an S. Assuming I can get it at $55.5k, does it sound reasonable (particularly vs. an S at just $4.5k more)?

Thanks for all the help in advance guys. I'm paranoid I'm getting trigger happy.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Also, any reason why they're insisting that the CPO will cost $3500? Previous dealers I've encountered have said it was a $2k option, but this one insists it will cost more. At $3500 I'm tempted to just let get an aftermarket one and save some $$$ . . .

Old 08-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
I would say fastlane's car is more attractive, PLUS you can be sure he took good care of that car.

I do not know fastlane so I have no bias here.

It is obvious to me that one who put the extars into his car has a greater love for the vehicle than one who just bought a Porsche if this makes sense.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
If the S is in great condition, I'd probably go for that one. At 61K CPO'd (with full warranty after August 1, 2008) it seems like a good deal. The S has more standard options, and you'll enjoy the extra bump in power.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
get the S. It will have a better resale value if you decide to sell it.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:48 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
I would definitely go for the S for all the above reasons others have stated and if you choose to mod it, you'll have a better engine to start with.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Tough choice but I'd go with the S . With Fastlanes car you get the peace of mind knowing the previous owner can discuss the history and even point to any quirks . BUT you can get the S checked throughly right down to an engine over rev scan and bodywork analysis . In short it takes a bit of homework.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, to be honest the biggest attraction to the S is resale value. This will be my very first car (unless you count my parents' Nissan Sentra which I learned to drive on) so the bump in performance is nice but not going to necessarily be fully utilized.

In terms of non-performance options, the only differences are the xenon and the red calipers I thought?

So w/ that in mind, do you think I'd get more than $5.5k in resale for the S than the base?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Get the S, see if you can chip off another grand or two (was $61k the asking?). W/ CPO, it's almost a no-brainer. - but you posted the warranty is up 12/08? Doesn't sound like CPO to me- The S has a lot of nice extra options like larger brakes and active suspension (PASM), plus it sits lower than the standard model.

G/L with your buy, post pics!!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Get the S, see if you can chip off another grand or two (was $61k the asking?). W/ CPO, it's almost a no-brainer. - but you posted the warranty is up 12/08? Doesn't sound like CPO to me- The S has a lot of nice extra options like larger brakes and active suspension (PASM), plus it sits lower than the standard model.

G/L with your buy, post pics!!
$64k was the ask, I've actually not negotiated w/ them yet, just assuming I can get them down to $61k since most dealers have knocked $2-3k off the price after a little negotiation.

I meant the factory warranty comes due in December. w/ CPO my understanding is it will be extended to 12/10 or 100k miles.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Tough choice but I'd go with the S . With Fastlanes car you get the peace of mind knowing the previous owner can discuss the history and even point to any quirks . BUT you can get the S checked throughly right down to an engine over rev scan and bodywork analysis . In short it takes a bit of homework.
Hey yrralis1 -

Thanks, I always appreciate your advice.

How close do you think it is given that I'll be a novice driver? It makes me worried that 1.) I won't fully enjoy the options and 2.) I won't be able to do the right "homeworK" to catch any problems.

In my mind if the S will fetch exactly $4.5k extra in resale, then I'd probably just take baby-steps into the C2. At $6k I'd probably get my pen/paper out to start figuring out the right questions to ask at PPI!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
One thing to remember on the CPO's - As of August 1, 2008 all newly applied CPO's on pre-owned pcars will give 100% bumper-to-bumper coverage extension, same as the original warranty. All previously CPO'd cars only get about 60% coverage. This would be something important to ask the dealer when talking CPO. I got the word on this straight from PNA corp office last week. I doubt that dealers will offer this information voluntarily.

I'd still shoot for the S at $61k, not bad at all. -and don't worry, you'll be more than able to enjoy the extras on the S.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
As I have mentioned and others on this board. The C2 is definitely a great car, but for an extra 4K more you're in an the S. The power difference is noticeable in my opinion. The PASM suspension, xenons, and the bigger wheels/tires along with the extra boost in power is well worth the 4K difference from a pre-owned car. Think of it as getting mods on a C2 that's already there from the factory. The price difference between a C2 and S is reasonable compared to an x51 power package in terms of bang for the buck.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bitterazn
Hey yrralis1 -

Thanks, I always appreciate your advice.

How close do you think it is given that I'll be a novice driver? It makes me worried that 1.) I won't fully enjoy the options and 2.) I won't be able to do the right "homeworK" to catch any problems.

In my mind if the S will fetch exactly $4.5k extra in resale, then I'd probably just take baby-steps into the C2. At $6k I'd probably get my pen/paper out to start figuring out the right questions to ask at PPI!

I would pick the "S" because the most important aspect of a car purchase is to get the right car right out of the gate . In fact Fastlane posted that he bought a 996 turbo = more Hp.

There are those car buyers who simply want a Porsche 911. A C2 would be fine but this is 6speedonline and merely typing in the website address hints at a car buyer who wants more . Once the novelty erodes the wrong car choice makes a huge difference.

You can have the car's DME scanned for engine over revs .
You can take the car to a body shop to inspect it.
You can have the routine wear parts checked and test drive for hidden problems like water damage (ie flooding --2005 was a big hurricane or flood year) .

Resale -- The difference is so marginal .

Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Some snags have arisen at the last moment, would love more input:

1.) The dealership told me they can't CPO fastlane's C2 due to his performance mods (notably the fabspeed exhaust). Is this correct? Assuming I buy a $2k aftermarket warranty, how different is it from the CPO?

2.) I'm tempted to go for the S, but it's lacking power seats, which I assume means it's manual for forward/back/recline, etc. Is that accurate?

Thanks again everyone!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: price sanity check on this '05 997