997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

my oil pressure is at 5 all the time???

Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
my oil pressure is at 5 all the time???

its reading 5 all the time. is that normal?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
If you have been for a long enough drive to fully heat up the oil, and then you stop and sit at idle it will probably drop a bit, but when cold and/or when anywhere above idle it is normal to be pinned to the top of the guage (at 5).

Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Once warmed up I would say it hovers around 2 or 3 at idle and then once I accelerate it goes up to 5. While cruising it again drops down a little.

Jason

Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
thanks guys so is it normal. every time i have driven the car i have seen it pinned at 5.

in the Z06, it only went to the top at WOT and remained less than half in normal driving.

the manuel says it should be at 3.5 bar in normal driving

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Per the other two replies, when my oil is fully warmed up, it drops to about 2.5/3 at idle but rises to 5 the instant I start to accelerate...

So I think what you're seeing is normal.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bara
the manuel says it should be at 3.5 bar in normal driving
That's as in a MINIMUM of 3.5 Bar whilst driving.

The healthier an engine, generally the better oil pressure it will hold for a given number of rpms at a given temperature. Typically the 3.8 when warm (i.e. oil temp at 200+ Farenheit) will run around 2.5-3 Bar at tickover and max out once the rpms are much above that.

Much less than the above and you're looking at appreciable engine wear.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
5 bar all the time is not normal and you may have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Sometimes my oil pressure jumps too high at idle (2.5-3 bar at FOT) which is due to a faulty sensor...just never had it replaced yet.

My normal oil pressure at idle and at FOT is about 1.25 -1.5 bar...this is with an outside temp of 70-90 F.

FOT (full operating temp) with an oil temp of about 220

Last edited by 500; 02-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by 500
5 bar all the time is not normal and you may have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Sometimes my oil pressure jumps too high at idle (2.5-3 bar at FOT) which is due to a faulty sensor...just never had it replaced yet.

My normal oil pressure at idle and at FOT is about 1.25 -1.5 bar...this is with an outside temp of 70-90 F.

FOT (full operating temp) with an oil temp of about 220
i checked it again today. fully warmed up, most of the time, anything more than idle and its at 5.

i had not noticed it before but once at idle, it comes down by 1 to 3 points.

i drove for a long while today and it finally came down to 3.5 in 6th gear in steady cruise speed. when you try to speed up, it shoots right back to 5.

so basically, until today, i thought it was always at 5. but driving around and constantly checking it i noticed that though it spends a large portion of its time in 5, it does come down to as low as 2 - 2.5 under some circumstances.

thanks again guys. looks like the guage is working

Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Just checking - any oil change recently. I've heard if the wrong oil (if thicker than recommended) is used, it will peg the oil pressure all the time. After warm-up my TT is around 1-2 at idle and then stays at 5 when RPMs are over 2k.

Last edited by summoboy; 02-23-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bara
i checked it again today. fully warmed up, most of the time, anything more than idle and its at 5.

i had not noticed it before but once at idle, it comes down by 1 to 3 points.

i drove for a long while today and it finally came down to 3.5 in 6th gear in steady cruise speed. when you try to speed up, it shoots right back to 5.

so basically, until today, i thought it was always at 5. but driving around and constantly checking it i noticed that though it spends a large portion of its time in 5, it does come down to as low as 2 - 2.5 under some circumstances.

thanks again guys. looks like the guage is working
The normal oil pressure for both 997S's I've had at idle with the oil temp around 220 F is between 1-1.8 bar...

Old 02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
hmmm. well, its a CPO car that i just picked up last week with 10k miles and yes, they did a fresh oil change and everything else they do to certify the car.

they are the largest porsche dealer in dallas. you'd think they would know what oil to put in ...

the owner's manuel says "normal" reading is 3.5 bar whatever normal is

Last edited by Bara; 02-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Hey Bara. I started really looking at mine this past week. Mine will peg at 4.5 to 5 at 3-5k rpm then settles down to 3.5-4 when idling and seems to settle as the car warms up.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by nucjd
Hey Bara. I started really looking at mine this past week. Mine will peg at 4.5 to 5 at 3-5k rpm then settles down to 3.5-4 when idling and seems to settle as the car warms up.
well, i just drove some more just for the guage. it seems to come down the more i drive it and i do see it all over the place so nevermind.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
Mine seems to do the same.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
It will drop when warm at idle. Porsche spec for that 997 is that at 5k rpms, pressure should be 5 bar.

If it never moves off the very top, it is usually due to the wiring getting knocked off the pressure sender, which does not sound like it is the case in this situation.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my oil pressure is at 5 all the time???