6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Resale Value - Cabriolet vs. Coupe (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/172801-resale-value-cabriolet-vs-coupe.html)

neil.schneider 05-21-2009 06:05 AM

I always thought that cabs hold their value better in %, but I guess I am wrong according to this thread.

ryem3 05-21-2009 07:18 AM

Cabs are for showing up at the country club and driving the mistress to the beach. Coupes are just for driving. Of course the real drivers order their cars with the sunroof delete for more headroom to clear the helmet...

xXxGhotimanxXx 05-21-2009 08:13 AM

^and weight savings...on both counts.
J

Dadio 05-23-2009 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by JoeShark (Post 2391849)
Everything else being completely equal (same year, same equipment, same everything other than one being a Cab and one a Coupe), which car would hold it's value better after a few years. Obviously I'm talking about percentage drop in price and not actual dollars as the Cab starts off at a higher price.

If there was more of one type produced than another, than I would assume the one with lower production would hold a higher percentage resale. However, I believe I saw somewhere that Porsche produces almost the same number of Cab's as they do Coupes.

So that being the case, does one hold their value (again, % based and not $$$ based) better than the other?

I think this is one of those questions, that in the end, doesn't matter much. Buy any new Porsche and it will be worth a lot less when you sell it. For my money, a difference of a couple a grand doesn't make the depreciation factor any easier to take. As for which car to buy, I prefer a Cab with a spare hard top. Gives me the options I want. I do think the Coupe is a much better looking car due in part to the hump effect of the Cab when seen from the side. Get the one you prefer. You can always trade it in later for a different one. Either way, I wouldn't buy a Pcar based on what it might be worth someday. Buy Gold instead.
As for the thread about cabs and white cars and masculinity ?? (Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "hump" when describing the Cab..) That's a new one on me but there must be a forum for Pcar owners having an identity crisis.

xXxGhotimanxXx 05-23-2009 07:42 AM

As for the thread about cabs and white cars and masculinity ??
Maybe it's a California thing...

That's a new one on me but there must be a forum for Pcar owners having an identity crisis.
If you find one, let me know :).

J

porschefreak04 05-26-2009 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 2393608)
depreciation is about the same i'd think. however, recent times has deepened depreciation on cabs more i think. it also depends on your location. california sells a ton of cabs.

Yeah I agree it also depends on location. I live in So Cal and there are many more cabs than coupes.

drkbrent 05-28-2009 10:46 PM

Coupes always hold value better than convertibles...nature of the beast.

Skylar's Dad 05-29-2009 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by porschefreak04 (Post 2399058)
Yeah I agree it also depends on location. I live in So Cal and there are many more cabs than coupes.

I agree- cruising down Pacific Coast Highway from Newport Beach to Laguna Beach (nice little stretch by the ocean) in a Coupe v. Cab is a no-brainer to me- but hey- I would not be the one who deleted the sunroof for more room for the "helmet" either...

ps...as far as the Cab not being as masculine? Thats a little bit of a reach for me....:eek:

Cheers-
SD

Edgy01 06-07-2009 01:14 PM

Today, it really all comes down to location, location, location. When I lived in a crappy part of the world you couldn't GIVE me a cabriolet. Now that I'm back in California, I literally have 365 days of cabriolet weather. I ordered mine with a hardtop as well for those days when the ash is heavy from the latest fire.

xXxGhotimanxXx 06-07-2009 03:53 PM

^I guess "crappy" is relative. The weather's nice, but most everything else is crappy, IMO :).

J

NYCPCAR 06-08-2009 07:08 AM

It really depends on what YOU want the car for. I bought the car as a "shuttle" to my beach house in the summer so a Cab was my(and wife) first choice.

If I were to track the car then I wouldn't have gone the Cab route..I will say though..I love hearing the engine with the top down...it's nirvana.

The market for Cab resales in this area, even in the current economy is very strong from April ..peaking in July. All the dealers I go to have pretty much sold their cab inventory, as long as they were priced right. We only get 5 good months of Cab worthy weather a year so I guess we make the most of it:)