6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Porsche Driving Experience Cars? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/179336-porsche-driving-experience-cars.html)

155mph 07-20-2009 12:48 PM

Porsche Driving Experience Cars?

Guys, need you help. Has any here ever purchased a PDE car? I have an opportunity to buy one (2007 C2S) and it won't last long so I need to make a decision ASAP. Two were already sold before I could even get to look at them. I need to know if anyone has purchased one and or if you would worry about them having been on the track.

The pros are they are really loaded (including Carbon Ceramic Brakes). and at a great price. They come with the Porsche certified extended warranty so balance of the warranty will be through Feb 2013 or 100K. It is refurbished by Porsche with new tires, etc.

What do you think?

ske 07-20-2009 01:12 PM

with options and a warranty like that, i think the only factor you need worry about is what colors are available ; ). If the price is not offensive, any issues will surely arise within the 100k mile mark. I say take it!

155mph 07-20-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ske (Post 2469100)
with options and a warranty like that, i think the only factor you need worry about is what colors are available ; ). If the price is not offensive, any issues will surely arise within the 100k mile mark. I say take it!

59,900...I think the same thing...I am going tonight to look at it.

westloop 07-20-2009 01:21 PM

unless the price was very very low, I wouldn't buy that car. 60,000 track miles (driven by people who didn't own the car) in 2.5 years of duty sounds like a lot to me. Yes the extended warranty is a plus, but then again the car would be untouchable without it. But then again, for the right price, it might be worthwhile.

155mph 07-20-2009 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by westloop (Post 2469116)
unless the price was very very low, I wouldn't buy that car. 60,000 track miles (driven by people who didn't own the car) in 2.5 years of duty sounds like a lot to me. Yes the extended warranty is a plus, but then again the car would be untouchable without it. But then again, for the right price, it might be worthwhile.

Not 60K mile, 11K miles, asking price $59.9K

westloop 07-20-2009 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 155mph (Post 2469131)
Not 60K mile, 11K miles, asking price $59.9K

Whoops... hilarious

I take it back. That's a sweet deal. Jump on it!

Gundo 07-20-2009 02:06 PM

First question that comes to mind, how do you imagine the car was treated during the factory recommended break-in period?

I would only buy a used PDE car if it had a new motor, gearbox, brake pads and rotors.

Too many other good deals out there right now to buy a car that has been completely abused it's entire short life.

Put another way, the entire time your are with your new girl, you'll wonder just who she dated, how she was treated and what tricks she was forced to perform.

westloop 07-20-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gundo (Post 2469170)
Put another way, the entire time your are with your new girl, you'll wonder just who she dated, how she was treated and what tricks she was forced to perform.

hilarious wow.

You make a good point.

155mph 07-20-2009 02:20 PM

They are good thoughts to consider. However, many people buy used Porches and never know they have been on the track. People trade them in or return them from lease and don't tell the dealer. So, buyer beware. This is a car that Porsche owned and maintained during that time, and are willing to stand behind it completely for 6 years or 100K miles. If it needs a new engine, transmission, etc....in the next 89K miles, it is on their dime.

EDIT: I have elected to not pursue this car. Just got the DME report and there are level 4 ignitions...... I guess that is kinda like having herpes. Guess the girl played around a little too much with too many strangers!

afridi 07-20-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 155mph (Post 2469188)
They are good thoughts to consider. However, many people buy used Porches and never know they have been on the track. People trade them in or return them from lease and don't tell the dealer. So, buyer beware. This is a car that Porsche owned and maintained during that time, and are willing to stand behind it completely for 6 years or 100K miles. If it needs a new engine, transmission, etc....in the next 89K miles, it is on their dime.

EDIT: I have elected to not pursue this car. Just got the DME report and there are level 4 ignitions...... I guess that is kinda like having herpes. Guess the girl played around a little too much with too many strangers!

Whats a level 4 ignition?

155mph 07-20-2009 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by afridi (Post 2469326)
Whats a level 4 ignition?

There are threads on here that explain it - DME printout will tell you how many over revs the engine has had. Level 4 is a mechanical over rev...very bad....it means you down shifted, probably missed the 5th to 4th downshift and went 5th to 2nd...OUCH!

strife_wy 07-20-2009 04:26 PM

If you only plan on owning the car during the warranty period, and if the price is right, I would jump on it.

If you plan on long term ownership, I would run far far away the abuse the car took during the early months of its life and the impact that might have on long-term reliability.

Gundo 07-20-2009 06:00 PM

Sounds like you made the right decision A "Level 4" overrev is bad, but not the worst. Great idea getting that checked out!

Here's more detail on over-revs

There are 3 ignitions per revolution in a 6 cylinder four stroke engine,

Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM
Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM
Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM
Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM
Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM
Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

ryem3 07-20-2009 08:40 PM

That's funny. There is the long thread on the board about someone considering a car with Range 5 ignitions! Level 4 is bad too, but not tragic, I guess. My prior owner confessed to one track day, which probably means at least 2. But the scan had only range 1 and 2 ignitions. So what if it was on a track.
If you were still considering the only way I would buy is with a new clutch. Guaranteed that someone along the line didn't know how to shift and a clutch wouldn't be covered under warranty. And it is almost impossible (as far as I know) to tell if it is almost worn out.

JoeShark 07-20-2009 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by strife_wy (Post 2469366)
If you only plan on owning the car during the warranty period, and if the price is right, I would jump on it.

If you plan on long term ownership, I would run far far away the abuse the car took during the early months of its life and the impact that might have on long-term reliability.

The key is "if the price is right" as it's a very good probability that when you come to sell the car, the new buyer will run a DME and see the overrev.