6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Brake fluid flush (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/180375-brake-fluid-flush.html)

ryem3 07-29-2009 06:06 PM

Brake fluid flush

My dealer in CT told me they would charge $350 to flush the brakes! Have a local shop that would do it for one hour's labor. The dealer told me that there is a fifth channel in the brakes for the PSM - maybe for the ABS?? He said only the dealership has the machine to reset that part of the system. Sounds like total BS to me - has anyone ever heard of this? Seems to me that you can also do an effective brake flush by simply flushing the four brake calipers. I straight out told the dealer that I can have someone do it for an hour's labor and that's what they told me. Curious to hear any other stories. Anybody flush out the four calipers AND the ABS PSM thingy??

VTach 07-29-2009 08:23 PM

Just had this done earlier this year on my '06 997S by a local shop while upgrading to SS brake lines and Motul 600 BF. We flushed all calipers and clutch but did not address "fifth channel in the brakes for the PSM - maybe for the ABS". Immediately after flushing it took a few short trips in the car to get the firm brake pedal feel back. Not sure if this was from the ABS. Even a call to the dealer revealed that this temporary soft pedal after flushing has occurred but resolved after driving.

On my drive home from the shop the brake pedal feel returned to normal. I've been to the track several times since and love the brakes now. I say go for the local shop and upgrade to ATE Blue or Motul. Loren's got a decent DIY post on Renntech as well.

Keep us posted.

ryem3 07-29-2009 09:18 PM

I might go with the Motul 600. The indi down the street from me even told me I could bring my own fluid and he would put it in!

ryem3 07-29-2009 09:18 PM

Oh, is a typical flush 2 pints?

mdrums 07-29-2009 09:25 PM

I've been flushing brake fluid in 997's since 2006 without any issues. I use Motul RBF600.

NorthVan 07-29-2009 09:54 PM

Bring two litres, and it is likely you will get a full one back.

I asked about the 5th Channel, I beleive is the clutch, and my Indy said it isn't a big deal. I use a power bleeder and it takes me about 45 minutes to do all 4 corners when I am changing my wheels and pads.

ryem3 07-30-2009 11:42 AM

Thanks.
Might make sense to have something to do with the ABS, but I thought ABS was all electronic and nothing to do with the brake fluid. Seems like more dealer BS to me... I'll need to go back to the brake fluid threads to see what is the best to use. Don't really want to stain my pretty brake fluid reservoir with Super Blue, especially if Motul is better.

ryem3 09-16-2009 08:25 PM

Quick update. Finally got my brakes flushed and I was surprised that the pedal seems more solid. Anyway, went to my favorite indi shop and found out his pick is the 6speed favorite - Motul 600. Unbelievably, $89 plus tax including the fluid! I feel so bad I didn't spend $350 at the dealer for crappy OEM fluid:cool:. I know this is a really simple job - for a pro with a bleeder it shouldn't take more than half an hour. Great to see that I was actually charged for how much work it really took! And got the leftover half liter of Motul in case I need to top up!

buck986 09-17-2009 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ryem3 (Post 2543334)
Quick update. Finally got my brakes flushed and I was surprised that the pedal seems more solid. Anyway, went to my favorite indi shop and found out his pick is the 6speed favorite - Motul 600. Unbelievably, $89 plus tax including the fluid! I feel so bad I didn't spend $350 at the dealer for crappy OEM fluid:cool:. I know this is a really simple job - for a pro with a bleeder it shouldn't take more than half an hour. Great to see that I was actually charged for how much work it really took! And got the leftover half liter of Motul in case I need to top up!

FYI...exact same price at my indy shop.

motosport3 10-05-2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S (Post 2480930)
Bring two litres, and it is likely you will get a full one back.

Just wanted to confirm capacity...does it take 1.5 liters (3 bottles of RBF 600) to fill it all up?

About to get this done and I bought the RBF 600 myself as the indy uses Super Blue.

NorthVan 10-05-2009 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by motosport3 (Post 2567492)
Just wanted to confirm capacity...does it take 1.5 liters (3 bottles of RBF 600) to fill it all up?

About to get this done and I bought the RBF 600 myself as the indy uses Super Blue.

I use the blue as well, I usually just flush 1 litre in at a time. I would consult your indy.

997FL 10-05-2009 03:38 PM

We use Motul RBF660 and we have great things to say about the fluid.

NorthVan 10-05-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rennsport-1 (Post 2567714)
We use Motul RBF660 and we have great things to say about the fluid.

It seems that most feel the best is Castrol, followed by Motul, and the ATE Blue. I haven't had any issues with Blue, so I will keep using it.

gaspasser19 10-05-2009 04:30 PM

Actually, your dealer is partly correct. There is a separate "channel" for the ABS that can only be activated with the PIWIS tester but it really only needs to be done if the system has been opened to air(for example, if you changed a caliper). You got a good deal @$89. If you like the satisfaction of doing things yourself you can pick up a Motive Power Bleeder for about $50 and do it yourself in less than an hour. There are easy DIY instructions all over the net. Don't forget to bleed the clutch when you do the brakes(part of the same system).

obsessed 10-05-2009 05:05 PM

+1 for Motul RBF 600 - changed to that after getting soft pedal at track with OEM or ATE Super blue. Learned it is hard to eliminate Super Blue's dye from the system it just dilutes - but in a few bleeds it was gone (I bleed before every track event).

Bleeding the clutch is a PITA - very poor access and no room for normal wrenches. I get it "finger loose" with a socket, remove the socket, slip the drain tube on and loosen it to bleed with fingers, retighten with fingers, remove tube, tighten with socket. The designers obviously don't do service...