997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm Down to a couple of cars; your thoughts please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
SUAVEJ is on a distinguished road
I'm Down to a couple of cars; your thoughts please!

I'm looking at a 2008 911 4S Blk/Sand that HAS been punched (-14 months on warranty) 200 miles. Nav, Chrono,Heated Seats...here it is http://www.sudsmotors.com/peoria/newcars/newcarinv.html . Talked to salesman, stated that any deal that does not involve a lease or any monthly note not higher than $1000 a month or longer than six years I would consider. He emailed me with $1250-$1450 a month (not knowing exactly what my trade is worth). I asked (via email) what number did he put on car; his reply did not answer the question, but stated he would run this by his GM. After 2 days, nothing.

Had a deal set up for a 2009 911 4; Blk/Blk, Pwr Seats/mem, dim mirrors,heat seat,chrono,nav,bose, xm radio,univ audio,seat vent,blutooth. Total price (taxes,lic..everthing) $78500 with $3000 cash . Monthly note $1350. Canceled deal, didn't feel good about it. Hoping to do better.

I am in no hurry to buy. While my 2007 335ci BMW is no P-car it will do. But I WANT A PORSCHE!!! This purchase would most likely be my last before my retirement (7 yrs); want to ride off into the sunset in style.
After reading is forum for several months your wisdom is undisputed. Your thoughts!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Don't work deals from a monthly payment basis - there's just too many ways for things to get obscured.

If you haven't done this,

1 - figure out your price range - 2009's should be going for at least 10% off and more - some report deals of up to 18% - so figure 15% for budgeting
2 - use the Porsche WEB to figure out what car and options fit into that price range
3 - find a dealer or two and tell them what you want and work from there
4 - don't talk about lease or purchase until you have found a car and gotten the sales price for it - then look at lease or buy to determine the best way to do the deal - never get led into monthly payments 1st!

For an '08, it is basically a used car - to the tune of almost 2 years now - at least in terms of depreciation no matter what the miles. You walk out the door with it, and now you own a "used" 2008 with nearly half the warranty gone. So the deal should be a good bit better than an '09.

That's my thoughts on it.

Also, 12mo x $1000 x 6yr = $72K and no interest. So I don't think your parameters work for a new car loan unless you put a lot down. If your 335 is paid for, then that should work, but you'd be usually better off selling it yourself unless they give you a great trade-in and the tax difference makes up for the lower trade-in price.

Last edited by stevepow; 09-10-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM
RandyP will become famous soon enoughRandyP will become famous soon enough
I too have always been a lease guy myself but given the incredible 1.9% financing and swingin' discounts that can be had I passed on the idea. Porsche leases are not known to be very attractive anyway.

As "stevepow" mentioned, it's usually not a good idea to base your negotiations on a monthly price and if the salesperson won't provide the true sales price of the vehicle I would go the other way and not look back.

By financing I ended up with a very sweet deal last month and I must say there is an extra measure of satisfaction knowing I own this baby instead of "borrowing" it. And since Porsche's hold their value so well I'd advise anyone right now to purchase instead of lease.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
Agreed that the 1.9% finance rate is hard to beat. I would definitely go for an '09 over an '08 due to the facelift. You should be able to get some great deals, so shop around. You should be aiming for 10-15% off of MSRP.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 PM
lethalsleeper is on a distinguished road
go for an 09, i got my C2 for about 70k

Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
We still hear about deals on '09's of up to 20% off MSRP. The '08's have been the bane of many dealerships, which just didn't lower the prices enough to move them. I talked to someone around here that got an '08 S for $80k, but that was not a terribly good deal - even if it was over 20% off MSRP - it is nearly a 2 year old car.
As Steve nicely summarized, there are a lot of factors and the monthly payment is only one of them. In fact, from your thread it is tough to tell if you are talking about leasing or purchasing. You talk about a retirement car, but then it sounds more like a lease. The Bimmer cab is worth at least $25k, I guess. That's only $55k into the Porsche, so the 6 year loan payments should be well below $1k, but that is really ball parking numbers.
For leases, three factors - car price, money factor and residual. You want the first one low, the second low and the third high, to generate the lowest payment.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SUAVEJ
I'm looking at a 2008 911 4S Blk/Sand that HAS been punched (-14 months on warranty) 200 miles. Nav, Chrono,Heated Seats...here it is http://www.sudsmotors.com/peoria/newcars/newcarinv.html . Talked to salesman, stated that any deal that does not involve a lease or any monthly note not higher than $1000 a month or longer than six years I would consider. He emailed me with $1250-$1450 a month (not knowing exactly what my trade is worth). I asked (via email) what number did he put on car; his reply did not answer the question, but stated he would run this by his GM. After 2 days, nothing.

Had a deal set up for a 2009 911 4; Blk/Blk, Pwr Seats/mem, dim mirrors,heat seat,chrono,nav,bose, xm radio,univ audio,seat vent,blutooth. Total price (taxes,lic..everthing) $78500 with $3000 cash . Monthly note $1350. Canceled deal, didn't feel good about it. Hoping to do better.

I am in no hurry to buy. While my 2007 335ci BMW is no P-car it will do. But I WANT A PORSCHE!!! This purchase would most likely be my last before my retirement (7 yrs); want to ride off into the sunset in style.
After reading is forum for several months your wisdom is undisputed. Your thoughts!
The 08 leftover is too new to really save and not discounted enough to make it worth getting over an 09 .

BMW leasing is leaps and bounds above Porsche leasing. although in recent times Porsches have leased more resonably than in the past I feel it's the car to buy . Plus an 08 woild be an awful lease as it's already depreciated .

I keep saying this is the time to buy . If Porsche pulls these incentives and production is cut the great deals will be a thing of the past .

I am still trying to figure out how Porsche is going to expect buyers to swallow going from 12-20 percent off to near MSRP in 2010 . But less cars often mean higher pricing . look at Gt3's , Turbo, and other Porsches which are more rare and the pricing is not the same as these 997S cars .