997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE headers+cats+PSE+sport shifter+Sport Chrono+EVOMSit = GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
AWE headers+cats+PSE+sport shifter+Sport Chrono+EVOMSit = GT3?

Fellas,

This may be complete heresy, and I kinda wish this question/thread could be posted in a smaller font so as not to draw undue attention from and potentially rile owners of the 997.1 GT3. but... do you think that the 9971.S with Sport chrono, factory PSE/sport shifter, + AWE headers and cats, and EVOMSit ECU tuning would even approach the 997.1 GT3 in day to day driving?

I've been considering moving up to a used '07 GT3 but the price differential between my 07 997S and the GT3 is probably close to $30K, which is pretty steep especially if I don't take advantage of it at the track. I'm looking for a more responsive ride than the stock 997S- prob similar to GT3 but don't need the GT3's ultimately ability on the track driven at 10/10ths-

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:45 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
In what regards do you want it to match up? They're completely different animals.

Put simply, if you only want raw street performance, put some forced induction on the 997s. It still won't touch a gt3 at the track unless you did a complete suspension though.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have a number of mods on my car, all the ones you have listed, and a number of other ones. A 997C2S will never be a GT3, as stated they are differnent animals! The C2S in stock for is an amazing street machine, if you are looking to improve your straight line performance, add some High Flow Cats and a LWFW, change your suspension to a set of Bilsteins Damptronics, and you should have a street machine that will be a lot more fun to drive.

If you are looking for track usage, don't spend a penny on the C2S (like I should have done) and buy a GT3, and start from that point. If you are on a budget, and the $30k is too much, buy a 996 GT3!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
If you are looking for track usage, don't spend a penny on the C2S (like I should have done) and buy a GT3, and start from that point. If you are on a budget, and the $30k is too much, buy a 996 GT3!
Agree completely. Phenomenal track car, pretty good price, and you'll learn to drive properly.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
+1. I've done many of the mods listed. Undone (so far) are the ECU change and (though note stated) an LSD and LWFW. That said, GT3's are just a different animal and no amount of mods of a 'standard' 997 will get you there. The higher red line, more horsepower and fast rev'ing engine, higher levels of camber and overall suspension adjustability, bigger brakes, wider tires and lowered weight all contribute to a different feeling car.
I also have a Cab rather than a coupe (though the differences between the two these days are not profound) and I love the top-down experience in the Bay Area. My goal has been to get 'closer' to a GT3 but retain the soft top and NA engine. I've done just that, but know it will never be very close to a GT3.
I'd say that if you want the feel of a GT3, like others, stop spending on the Carrera and just trade for the GT3. But the stock Carrera has more to give and you can extract more performance and enjoyment without taking that last step.
I'll close by saying that if I didn't love the Cab, I'd get my name on the 2010 RS list and sell my car. No brainer.

Originally Posted by bbywu
Agree completely. Phenomenal track car, pretty good price, and you'll learn to drive properly.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a lot of things on my car. I'll list a few of them that you mentioned:

-AWE 200 CEL Cats & Mufflers
-X51 Headers
-OEM Short Shifter
-Sport Chrono
-BMC Drop-In Filter

I am talking for street driving perspective, and it would never be the same. The engine is completely different... The 1k RPM changes the whole car, which I really wish I had 7200 RPM redline is not enough for me unfortunately... I should also mention the Torque and HP difference between the cars.

My car has gained a lot of power and became more alive and raw, but it is not even close to a GT3!

With all the mods you have listed you will probably be looking at around 370-375 HP.

I was never able to track my car with a GT3 at the same time so I can not comment on how my car will do against it. It also has a lot to do with the driver. But if a good driver had took a run with a GT3 and a modded C2S there will still be a couple of second difference...

In the end what ever you do to your car it will not be a GT3, and you will spend a lot of money to match it up to a GT3. In the end you will never receive the money you put into the car modding...

So as NorthVan suggested, just save the money and buy a GT3.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
997 and 997S vs. GT3 vs. TT are simply different animals, created for different purposes.

Stating only the positive:
997/ 997S: amazing semi-exotic DD, practical and fun, terrific track car.
GT3: track beast, suspension and rear-drive are nearly unmatched through curves, hi-revving engine, indestructible even at redline for hours.
TT: frighteningly impressive straight-line acceleration, luxurious, easy DD.

CATTMAN

Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
No matter what you do .. the only way to make this is to buy one. Sigh.. I know you said 07 but if you decide to do it .. this is the machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVR11IPQlPI

Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Wow that video is awesome. Good thing it's 5 AM here in Chicago and the dealers are closed... otherwise would be all over the '07 GT3 at our local dealer down the street right now

Thanks for all the input. Will take a look at the used GT3 Monday... I'm not looking for a track car or pure straight line speed, just something that's just a little more raw/tactile/responsive than the stock 997. This craving came about after test driving an Elise S/Exige S240 recently and will hopefully pass soon. Of course, overall the 997S is a much more cohesive, refined package and I would never trade it in on a Lotus but the extended test drive did leave an impression...

Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fang911
Wow that video is awesome. Good thing it's 5 AM here in Chicago and the dealers are closed... otherwise would be all over the '07 GT3 at our local dealer down the street right now

Thanks for all the input. Will take a look at the used GT3 Monday... I'm not looking for a track car or pure straight line speed, just something that's just a little more raw/tactile/responsive than the stock 997. This craving came about after test driving an Elise S/Exige S240 recently and will hopefully pass soon. Of course, overall the 997S is a much more cohesive, refined package and I would never trade it in on a Lotus but the extended test drive did leave an impression...
If you just want a more responsive car, get these following parts:

-Headers
-Cats
-Evo MS CAI
-ECU

It will change the whole feeling of the car. It will be much more responsive and fun to drive. The car will become alive and what it was supposed to be in the first place.

The short shifter is not a must, but it's fun

Old 12-27-2009, 08:46 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fang911

Think twice prior to jumping on GT3. Despite what people like to say (especially people who do not own GT3) - GT3 is a track car. It is not intended for street use. It does not mean you cannot drive it on street, but, again, it was not and is not intended to be your daily driver. So if you look for a GT3 - keep in mind that you will need to buy some nice truck and a trailer as well for your GT3, that`s how it goes around.

If you do plan to use your 911 car on a street on regular basis - buy C2S.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Think twice prior to jumping on GT3. Despite what people like to say (especially people who do not own GT3) - GT3 is a track car. It is not intended for street use. It does not mean you cannot drive it on street, but, again, it was not and is not intended to be your daily driver. So if you look for a GT3 - keep in mind that you will need to buy some nice truck and a trailer as well for your GT3, that`s how it goes around.

If you do plan to use your 911 car on a street on regular basis - buy C2S.
Why can't the GT3 be driven daily? I have heard of people driving it as a street car.

I know the suspension, brakes and clutch is stiffer, which could be a problem for some people. Also the front is really low as well, which will result in having problems going through the driveways...

I have Bilstein Damptronics, and a GT3 front on my car. It is not something I can not live with. I rather enjoy it because I can feel the car better with the stiffer suspension.

I can not comment on the brakes and the clutch...

I honestly don't know why it can't be driven daily?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sin911
I honestly don't know why it can't be driven daily?
As I was a passenger in it several times this year at events - it is very stiff, seats are not what I could live with, there are no rear seats at all so I cannot pick up my kid, overall this car is not convenient at all to my taste and I cannot see myself sitting in bad traffic in this car every day.

Also despite reading such claims here all GT3s I saw so far were arriving to events in trailers.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
As I was a passenger in it several times this year at events - it is very stiff, seats are not what I could live with, there are no rear seats at all so I cannot pick up my kid, overall this car is not convenient at all to my taste and I cannot see myself sitting in bad traffic in this car every day.

Also despite reading such claims here all GT3s I saw so far were arriving to events in trailers.
It all depends on the personal priorities I can live with the seats since the GT3s come with Sport Seats in US, not buckets. I also have stiff suspension and no kids

I have seen most of the GT3s arriving in trailers as well actually But I would love to live with one still

Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by sin911
It all depends on the personal priorities I can live with the seats since the GT3s come with Sport Seats in US, not buckets. I also have stiff suspension and no kids

I have seen most of the GT3s arriving in trailers as well actually But I would love to live with one still
I think my perception may be shifted as most cars i`ve seen were race prepped - with no rubber elements in suspension, all race parts, most stripped, so, ride quality in those cars was substantially different and IMHO not bearable for everyday life at all.

May be stock GT3 is not that bad. Who knows. I like what I have for now, will add X51 oil pan to it and GT3 upper mounts for better camber and will stop on that for next season. Then, who knows, if budget allows, may be FI, may be PSS10s+GT3 LCAs+links. Maybe in reversed order. I got almost everything done what I wanted to have done on my 911 car by now, so, all what is left to do now is to drive it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE headers+cats+PSE+sport shifter+Sport Chrono+EVOMSit = GT3?