997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is a clear bra a must?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
borderless is on a distinguished road
Is a clear bra a must?

Just curious.. got my silver C4S last week.. put 800 miles on it this week. Had it detailed at work. Drove home and the front bumper is covered with dead bugs.

In the "top 5 mods under $1000" I have seen the clear bra mentioned a few times.

Other than the obvious (preventing chips from rocks, etc) does the bra reduce the bug road-kill? What other benefits?

Also.. any recommendations on the kind to get. These guys are local: http://www.autosupershield.com/ and seem pretty reputable. They want $370 for the clear one-piece film and another $100 to install.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Many threads on this if you use the search function. Any of these bras are paint protection, won't do anything to stop bugs or anything else from sticking - try Rejex for this.

Price you cited is actually pretty good, but I have no knowledge of the specific film they are using; do know that 3M has several different grades and varying warranties.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
It was a "must" for me. The clear bra will protect it against most (though sadly, not all) damage. At the risk of sounding like a biology professor (which I'm not ) insects have what is called an exoskeleton. In layman's terms, this means their bones are on their outside. Depending on where and how you drive they can do some serious damage. I'm sure some of our members in Florida can chime in on this but I imagine if you hit a Palmetto bug at 80 or 90 mph it's not much different than hitting stone. In case you are unfamiliar with Palmetto bugs they are as big as a New York City c_ockroach but they fly.

Anyway, the clear bra film was not actually designed for the automotive industry. It was originally developed to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades which are relatively easy to damage and can ground the aircraft making it unsafe to fly. Depending on the model a new set of helicopter blades can cost as much or more than a new 997 Turbo.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
For a black car, nearly a must if you drive on the highway or track - unless you like the dandruff on the face look. It is a hassle, doesn't look as nice as paint (although doesn't "swirl"), can scuff and cannot be polished, etc, etc. Falls into the necessary evil category for me.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
"Bugs" ? -- It's 65 degree high and in the 40's at night . Not many bugs in this cold.

I have not clear bra'd my cars . If i tracked them I would . If i drive daily on the highway .. I would.

They will prevent a pebble chip but won't protect a dent from a larger object and to wrap an entire car is thousands. Also no matter how much anyone say it --one will always see "the line" . On a white car it can yellow.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
full hood/fenders = no line - still...a compromise.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 PM
techart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of lighttechart gt st is a glorious beacon of light
I PUT THEM on all my cars. after it is installed wait a day and then put a wax on it to seal it. on white cars sometimes they turn a little yellow from the adhesive, but it sure does save the front end and behind the tires, hell its a porsche and its better than having to repaint the front end.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by borderless
Just curious.. got my silver C4S last week.. put 800 miles on it this week. Had it detailed at work. Drove home and the front bumper is covered with dead bugs.

In the "top 5 mods under $1000" I have seen the clear bra mentioned a few times.

Other than the obvious (preventing chips from rocks, etc) does the bra reduce the bug road-kill? What other benefits?

Also.. any recommendations on the kind to get. These guys are local: http://www.autosupershield.com/ and seem pretty reputable. They want $370 for the clear one-piece film and another $100 to install.

Any suggestions?
When I've made my trips between GA to Fla, especially what I call "love bug season", the clear-bra was without-a-doubt worth it. Now, it will not stop them from sticking but, keeping if cleaned/protected with something like Plexus......you can easilly get them off with a nice warm rag (without any fear of scratching the stuff unlike painted surface), then just do a final clean/protect with the Plexus.

One thing I will add. You really need to be prompt about cleaning them off, as you can get little orange spots as-it-seems, depending on what type of but it was. I also need to say that the $370 seems low if that is the whole front-end........most places are getting $750-$1100 for the install complete.

Last edited by KaamaCat; 03-05-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM
PHDX2 will become famous soon enoughPHDX2 will become famous soon enough
Highly recommended. I have protection film on the bumper, hood, fenders, and headlights of my Porsche. Very satisfied with its performance.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
... keeping if cleaned/protected with something like Plexus......you can easilly get them off with a nice warm rag (without any fear of scratching the stuff unlike painted surface), then just do a final clean/protect with the Plexus....
What's so special about Plexus? 303 Aerospace Protectant is excellent for all kinds of plastic. I wonder if Plexus is a private label of 303 (at a much higher price).

Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Although VentureShield and other "clear bra" products have advocated Plexus, many have noted that it tends to accelerate the yellowing of the material on lighter colored cars.

I use Crystalline and Film Cleanse developed by one of our sponsors, Premiere. Although pricey, it does work very well. There are good reviews in the detailing section.

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/pf1_products.shtml

- bob

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
full hood/fenders = no line - still...a compromise.
Yep, Full hood and full fenders and you cant see it.. I will NEVER EVER own a high end car or car i care about without the clear bra.. Especially a porsche which is a magnet for chips with the low sloped hood.. A customer of mine literally drive from the dealership to my shop in his 997.2 GT3 and got a nice chip right on the hood 1st drive.. On a black car it looks like SNOW on the hood after a several months if highway driven..

I just noticed your in South FL.. The place you linked i have never heard of but before you decide where to take it find some customer cars to look at it.. Not the cars they own that they spent 5 extra hours on but what a customer job that is 470.00 looks like.. Thats very cheap IMO.. PM me if you need further advice.. I have a guy who does all the high end cars for a dealer who does my cars..

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; 03-05-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
EAMGC4S is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

My car came with a clear bra from the dealership. I actually took it off. Use the car as a weekend/fun/day-off car. I found that the bra was a hassle for detailing and overall polish/shine of the car. Another simple thing that works to remove bugs after a long drive is turtle wax spray, bug & tar remover. Works great. Have used it on my daily drivers for years.....

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
raspritz will become famous soon enoughraspritz will become famous soon enough
A must. Unless you like paint chips and dings from gravel and road debris.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
I consider it a near must. HOWEVER, I would only have the full hood done and not the half-hood job (I hate that line across the hood and I've actually seen a lot of rock chips on the upper half of the hood). Along with the full hood, include the front bumper, front fenders, and side view mirrors.

The most important thing is the quality of the installer. Having no bra is a thousand times better than a mediocre job (and a bad job is not even something I'd want to even imagine with the cutting into the paint with razors, etc). My car was done at Premier in No. Cal. and I think they are the best in the business.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a clear bra a must?