997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Isnt PDK just another way of saying "automatic"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Isnt PDK just another way of saying "automatic"?

Hi all,

Seems like a total waste of a great sports car to outfit it with an automatic transmission with floppy paddle shifting.

Has nothing to do with the cost.

Be honest, how many actually just leave the thing in "D" and drive? I am sure the % is quite high.

A sports car needs to be a stick shift, anything else is just BORING! You want an automatic car, buy a 7 series BMW.

That's all I have to say on the matter. I am sure I will get flamed to death. Nothing will change my mind about a sports car needing to have the third pedal.

Its the way its supposed to be.

Nuff said,

Steve

PS: Yes, I have driven a PDK car and have used the floppy paddles. Guess what, its still an automatic and boring car. I cant be too wrong, the guys on "Top Gear" certainly agree with me.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Hi all,

PS: Yes, I have driven a PDK car and have used the floppy paddles. Guess what, its still an automatic and boring car. I cant be too wrong, the guys on "Top Gear" certainly agree with me.
if you have no need for it - it is boring. if you need to shift gears better than any human being can - it is not boring.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
socalsteve, why are you so angry? My car is a 6 speed but I would buy a pdk. It's a great technology. So is a Ferrari not a real sports car to you? oh i c....

Old 04-03-2010, 01:36 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Yawn. This discussion is what is boring.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
PDK is an automated manual, its not an automatic.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
mxs508porsche is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scott997
socalsteve, why are you so angry? My car is a 6 speed but I would buy a pdk. It's a great technology. So is a Ferrari not a real sports car to you? oh i c....
+1 agree

Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
ZoSo_DXB is on a distinguished road
Hmm i dunno why people hate these new transmissions with flappy paddles n all

Sure they are not as fun as a manual transmission but they do the job and quite well i might add.
I have the pdk and its wonderful, never do i drive it in "D" however...
Plus, the transmission alone cant be the sole factor in determining whether a car is fun or not...
Finally people are different so who cares what others think To each his own!!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
I use to think that way until I picked up a Stradale years back....from there it was the paddles in my M5 daily, which now is my M3 dct daily...which will again switch to PDK now....I absolutely Love it....I do have a stick in an old classic Ferrari though....

Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I find these discussions quite funny, wether controlled by paddles, Klingon mind signals or sign language these transmissions are manual transmissions. I think maybe the turn should be 6 speed manual or true manual.

Dual clutch gearboxes are here to stay guys, in fact there may be a point where it will be very hard to find any car with a true manual.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !

"...Essentially, the PDK is a conventional, seven-speed manual gearbox with two electrohydraulically controlled, oil-bathed multiplate clutch packs. One clutch pack controls the odd-numbered gears and Reverse; the other controls the even-numbered gears...
"

Makes the decision a lot easier

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-03-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
To the OP: no the PDK is not a regular auto. I drive my PDK 90% of the time in sequential manual mode.

Do you really have so much time to burn in your hands to come here and pontificate on something you know nothing about? PAG offers 2 trannies - 6-speed manual and PDK. Pick your choice. I picked PDK and I do not deride yours. FYI, I could get a 6-speed as I know I shift as well as the best (I drive spiritedly and my 6-speed clutches were good for 100k miles).

Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM
amag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to behold
Having owned both. I prefer a 6-speed. But you can't ignore the fact that it is fast off the line and consistently fast shifting, but never the less is still an automatic and boring.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Its not an automatic....arrrrghhh forget it.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
I was quite surprised to find out today from a Porsche insider that 2/3 of 997.2 purchasers are opting for the stick. I thought it might be the other way around, given the posts here.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Alan
I was quite surprised to find out today from a Porsche insider that 2/3 of 997.2 purchasers are opting for the stick. I thought it might be the other way around, given the posts here.
Hmmm, interesting...Every dealer I have been to in the last month has mostly stick cars sitting on their lots...09 'sand 10's. My friend works for a dealer in the area and said he wished he had more PDK cars..he said people now don't think of PDK cars as "automatics" and want the new technology in their car. The PDK cars in this area that are still in the showrooms don't have Spoets Chrono and dealers are going to have to discount them to move them..

Anyway...drove a F430 for the first time last week..Love the paddles, heck when you floor that monster it's best to have both hands on the wheel..buy what works for you and drive!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Isnt PDK just another way of saying "automatic"?