6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   and the RMS saga continues with the 997... (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/20904-rms-saga-continues-997-a.html)

AMG ETR 01-15-2005 10:41 PM

Re: Re: RMS?

Originally posted by Gary (Fl)
There is one in Palm Beach that was going to be for sale.. But the guy's boyfriend threatened to break up with the him if he sold it.
Rumor is it handles great off road too....
hilarious hilarious hilarious

Don't start Gary :D :D
Evan

Gary (Fl) 01-16-2005 04:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: RMS?

Originally posted by AMG ETR
Don't start Gary :D :D
Evan

:p

By the way if you guy's want to ship me anything else that I didn't order, please make sure it is for my model car... lol

Have a great weekend!!!

msindi 01-17-2005 02:12 PM

Not good

MadKipper 01-23-2005 10:03 AM

Porsche is crap

as I am only looking at the 997 as a potential second hand buy, all I can say is PORSCHE IS CRAP!

I was getting the impression over the last few years that the Germans make the best cars and that Porsche led them, but no, it is BMW who make the best engines - I will probably buy an air cooled 911 as they seem reliable and cheap to run.

shame. I was getting excited about the 997. now, everytime I will see one I will think it is too unreliable and expensive to run.

MK

Captain Tal 01-23-2005 10:37 AM

Re: Porsche is crap

Originally posted by MadKipper
as I am only looking at the 997 as a potential second hand buy, all I can say is PORSCHE IS CRAP!

I was getting the impression over the last few years that the Germans make the best cars and that Porsche led them, but no, it is BMW who make the best engines - I will probably buy an air cooled 911 as they seem reliable and cheap to run.

shame. I was getting excited about the 997. now, everytime I will see one I will think it is too unreliable and expensive to run.

MK

That is ridiculous. The RMS is not an engine killer. It is a nusiance that is easily fixed free under warranty. I just had my RMS changed on Wednesday. No big deal. A little disappointment of course but my resale value is not impacted. Even out of warranty, the repair is less than a $1000.

The Porsche flat six is an incredible machine capable of tremendous work. Like all machines it can develop problems. While the RMS issue is troublesome and one which they should address I don't think it is reason to dismiss this incredible automonbile. Air cooled 911's have their own set of problems.

If you can't live with the ocassional issues that ALL high performance cars have, go buy a BMW and enjoy your boring trouble free car as I pass you with a big grin on my face. :D

FineProperty 01-23-2005 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Porsche is crap

Originally posted by Captain Tal

If you can't live with the ocassional issues that ALL high performance cars have, go buy a BMW and enjoy your boring trouble free car as I pass you with a big grin on my face. :D

Ummm...
BMW Engine failures

MrBonus 01-23-2005 10:54 AM

Re: Porsche is crap

Originally posted by MadKipper

MK

Are you basing this on any surveys or studies of owners or just the complaints of some person on an Internet message forum?

Captain Tal 01-23-2005 10:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Porsche is crap

Originally posted by FineProperty
Ummm...
BMW Engine failures

Yeah, good point. I thought of that after I posted my sarcastic reply. The BMW engines have had more than their share of problems.

ben, lj 01-23-2005 11:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Porsche is crap

Originally posted by FineProperty
Ummm...
BMW Engine failures

that site is old in that it deals only with the 01 - 02 failures. we had a late 03 that also received the recall. i'm not sure which of the many "fixes" that site referred to though i know they've made several (unsuccessful) attempts to fix that crappy motor. guess they learned their lesson with the new m5 which will require you to push a button everytime you get in it to get the full 500 hp vs. the 400 hp pre-button. maybe they're hoping their crappy motor won't be stressed as often that way.

MadKipper 01-23-2005 03:19 PM

thanks for the replies - very interesting...

my opinion was slowly formed on the expressions of 996 and 997 owners in various forums.

I do not believe the RMS problem to be such a small issue because the second buyer of the car will have to pay for the repair or replacement of components that fail as a result of it.

I do not believe Porsche dealers will give warranties that cover the damage caused by the RMS leak because they would lose too much money on the repairs.

but..................... I could simply have read too much into this. maybe a leaky 997 will not have caused any damage at all. but if that is so, why do Porsche change the engine occasionally with regard to this matter? are we supposed to believe that the engine was not quite perfect from day of manufacture? hmmm.... why am I finding this so hard to swallow?

oh, and with regards to the BMW engines - fair point about the M engines - I accept it. I was talking about my non-M engine. I realise that the M engines should be compared with the Porsche engines.

the air cooled engines had their own problems - hmmm.... maybe they did - but why it that so many of the 3.2 units manage to get well over 200,000 miles without having to be opened up and re-conditiioned - likewise with their transaxles. maybe it was simply a case of decades of development with the air cooled units and we simply have to wait a bit longer for Porsche to get as bomb proof....

911 flyn 01-23-2005 04:38 PM

MK,

Nothing fails as a result of an RMS leak, it's a seal, some leak, it's not the end of the world. in some rare cases a crankshaft has been out of round and porsche replaced the engines. thats what warranties are for. If you are so worried buy an extended warranty. All new production cars are bound to have some bugs, thats life in the car world. Do some more research on the 996 3.6l motor and I think you'll find them to strong and reliable, but to make the statement "Porsches are crap" just shows your ignorance.

MadKipper 01-24-2005 02:54 AM

I did not say Porsches are crap - I said Porsche are crap - the company that is, for not fixing the RMS problem since the 996.
they are great apart this quality control failure and of course their cars are the best - I was only expressing my concern as a second owner.

if I can get an extended warranty for a second hand 997 that will cover the RMS leak - then would be great.

oh, and sorry - I can't help showing my ignorance! that will vanish ony when I have personally experienced a 997 ownership and an RMS problem and analysed it to the n'th degree!

97S 01-24-2005 04:35 PM

You can buy a Porsche Certified "pre-owned" car and obtain a very generous warranty.

FineProperty 01-25-2005 10:30 PM

Get a 996TT, no RMS issue, and even an unmodified one will scare your friends with the jump to light speed.

FlyingLow 02-01-2005 08:41 AM

Porsche not reliable? How many 24 Hour of LeMans has BMW won again?