997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY: V1 Hardwire 997 with auto dimming mirror (NO SOLDERING!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
DIY: V1 Hardwire 997 with auto dimming mirror (NO SOLDERING!)

Thanks to member skeeter for walking me through this. This is his mod, I just took the pics while I did it

There was a very elegant hardwire thread on Renntech that involved a lot of cutting and soldering....
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...-installation/

Yeah....wasn't too comfortable with that. Couldn't believe that no one posted a V1 hardwire using the V1 kit. To my knowledge, one doesn't exist. Well, here it is:

Tools needed:
Small flathead screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Pliers
V1 Hardwire kit

1) Remove the dome light cluster
I used a small flathead screwdriver up by the windshield to gently release the clips and remove the lights.

2) Remove the homelink buttons
There is a small tab along side each button cluster (indicated by red arrow). Use a small flathead to pop these out. They come out with very little effort.

3) Remove the Phillips head screws
After removing the buttons, you will see a Phillips head screw under each button cluster. Remove these.

Screw hole with screw already removed

4) Remove plastic dome cover
Sorry, no pic of this. Get a flathead screwdriver or your fingers under the dome cover back by the sunroof and gently (but firmly) pull down. It is held by two clips a few inches from the back and hooks in the front by the windshield. I was afraid of breaking the thing, but it eventually came loose

5) Find the ORANGE/BLACK hot wire
This wire is located in the cluster of wires coming out of the headliner on the driver's side. Cut or push the black tape aside to find it and get enough slack to attach the T-tap connector.

Hot wire with T-tap connected

6) Attach the ground
This is PITA Using the metal clip on the passenger side where you removed the Phillips head screw, slowly slide the clip part way towards the passenger side. To prevent it from flying under the headliner if you accidentally remove it completely, stuff a small microfiber or paper towel in the space just to the right of the clip.
Now, using the flathead, pry open a space between the clip and the chassis. Then slide the spade connector from the hardwire kit into this space. Push the clip back to the left to line up the screw hole with the hole in the clip.

7) Test it
Without putting all the lights and panels back just yet, put the Phillips head screw back into the passenger side hole to hold and compress the ground to get a good connection.
Fire up the car and VOILA! Just remember to remove the screw again before you replace the plastic dome cover.

Mine didn't work at first. Had to pinch the T-tap with pliers to adequately cut through the insulation of the hot wire. Other than that, just make sure the ground screw is in tight and it should work.

8) Route phone power cord out the front and STUFF the wires under the headliner
Route a short length of the straight cord out through the front hole by the mirror stalk.
Now to get the wires tucked...Ok, this is PITA too. If you haven't already noticed, there isn't a lot of room up there. But if you look under the headliner under the passenger side vanity mirror, there is some room to stuff all the wires. This took some doing with a VERY tight fit, but it works.

9) Reverse the removal steps.
Clip the plastic dome piece into place, replace Phillips head screws, replace buttons and dome light.

Now you can enjoy V1 hardwired goodness

Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting. I haven't had a V1 in a while, but maybe it's time to buy another one. I think I'd prefer to hardwire it out of the way and then mount that remote thing on the dash or up by the mirror. I need to start some research...

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Nice job. Thanks for the post.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I checked the V1 site and they seem to think that you're mount location is the best way to go. I think I'll be putting one on order. I have an old one laying around and can get $170 off of a new one thanks to their upgrade program!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
WHITE997GT3 is on a distinguished road
Will definitely have to consider this option now. Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Jalbrah is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing - I am going to try to do this over the weekend. So the black little box where the phone jack fits and that is supplied with the V1 Hardwire fits is supposed to fit under the headliner by the passenger side?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jalbrah
Thanks for sharing - I am going to try to do this over the weekend. So the black little box where the phone jack fits and that is supplied with the V1 Hardwire fits is supposed to fit under the headliner by the passenger side?
That's correct. It won't go completely under the headliner, but enough that you can get the plastic dome piece cover back on.