997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Track Video: Sebring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Track Video: Sebring

For a while now I've been thinking, for a driver to further develop his skills, he needs to drive in various tracks. So for the last month I've been trying to go on different tracks, and this weekend I drove in Sebring for the first time. It certainly is a long and hard track, there are a lot of "S" shaped back to back turns. As some people have told me before, it is a little bumpy in the cement part (turn 1& 17). The rest is pretty smooth.

On Saturday, as it was my first time driving in Sebring, it took me the first session to learn the track. The second session, I was feeling pretty confident about the track and the correct line. My best lap for the 2nd session was 2:39; I decided to push it a little more and in 3rd session I knocked off another second, and got it to 2:38. On the 4th session I was trying to follow an instructor with a highly modded Cayman S and I pushed myself as much as possible. I knocked another 2 seconds and got 1 lap of 2:36. I finished the day with 2:36 being the fastest lap.

On Sunday, I was feeling much more confident and I believed I could do better! So guess what? I pushed myself even more! I was able to secure 2:36, and get it multiple times. I was having some problems with the G forces as I have standard seats... I was sliding all over the place, I was using my elbow to keep myself planted and I couldn't shift smooth because I was moving so much. On the last session I was able to knock off another second again and get it down to 2:35. I ended the weekend with it being fastest.

Like I said, I have standard seats. I need to get me some bucket seats and harness. I still am running street tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE-11) and I need to upgrade to some r-compound tires to get my times down. I think I am slowly getting better as I drive more and in more tracks. We'll see what happens in time

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oTUqBTMT3Y

Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Great video. Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Very nice!

Which track did you race? 3.77 mile track, 1.7 mile Johnson Course, or 2.0 mile temporary course?

Last edited by adias; 06-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Great video. Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting!
It was a lot of fun! Thanks

Originally Posted by adias
Very nice!

Which track did you race? 3.77 mile track, 1.7 mile Johnson Course, or 2.0 mile temporary course?
Thanks, it was the 3.77 mile track. It was the longest track I ran so far...

Old 06-21-2010, 12:34 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
looks great . Really enjoyed the video.
That long straight which ends in the tight corner (turning right) would be one heck of challenge for the Turbo.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 AM
tri
tri is on a distinguished road
Awesome vid! Thank you for making and sharing.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
looks great . Really enjoyed the video.
That long straight which ends in the tight corner (turning right) would be one heck of challenge for the Turbo.
Thanks, that last corner is a little hard... Even at the end of the second day I was trying to figure out which line to take and where to brake etc.

The AWD traction of Turbo may actually come in handy in that turn.

Originally Posted by tri
Awesome vid! Thank you for making and sharing.
Thanks, and you're certainly welcome! I post it so I can get some feedback from the experienced drivers on the forum

Old 06-21-2010, 05:02 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the excellent video...what a course!

For a first there I would say your driving is very good. Smooth and decisive in some difficult turns.

Were you with an instructor? No other cars on the track?

Last edited by buck986; 06-21-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Thanks for the excellent video...what a course!

For a first there I would say your driving is very good. Smooth and decisive in some difficult turns.

Were you with an instructor? No other cars on the track?
The video was from the 3rd session of the second day, so I was used to the track already.

No, I am in Level 3 so I drive Solo. I went first to the pits and waited under the sun so I can run alone for the first few laps After the 3rd lap, I started running into traffic... The video is from the 2nd and 3rd laps.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice looking track, nice driving.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
For some reason the video is not loading on my Mac...hummm...loaded fine on the old PC lap top in the kitchen...anyone???

Sin....nice that you experienced Sebring, my home track! Those are great time on street tires....is you car otherwise stock?

You picked up the track really fast....excellent job. You are pushing the car through 7 (hairpin). You can turn inadn kiss the rumble strips on the inside and this will allow you to get the steering straight sooner and allow you to get on the throttle sooner at the apex. Be carefull with cutting Bishops as tight as you did on the 1st lap and mising the apex and going full throttle at 16 is dangerous, 2nd lap 16 was perfect also 17 line was to tight. Next time as you turn into 17 toward the wall on your right side, brake in a straight line at the wall and there are 2 white lines that intersect, that is your turn in mark..BUT do not turn into to the right all the way to the yellow line, stay around a car width off that line to avoid the bumps. You are sticking to the yellow line all the way around 17 and not getting on the throttle until way past the bridge. Doing the line I mentioned (race line) you will be able to get on the throttle a lot sooner and carry more speed all the way through the turn. You should be at full throttle right under the 1st bridge in 17 and track all the way out.

For your ref I am doing 2:28-29's in winter and spring and 2:30 in summer on Toyo RA1...stock car other than GT3 lowers for more front camber. I need better seats too but I use a CG Lock and then lean the seat back and pull the shoulder strap fast to lock it and then move the seat back up and tight with the shoulder strap. Stock GT3 on R- Comp with a good driver do 2:27-30's. Feel with better seats and some other minor suspension bits I can turn a 2:25. Friend of mine who has a 2005 Carrera S gutted out, Moton coil overs, lowered and corner balenced, GT3 Cup brakes, Hoosier slicks, ECU upgrade, headers, no cats or mufflers...turned the car into a race car is doing 2:22-24's.

I need to come do the new PBIR and Homestead...so...I look for you to give me some pointers! ;-)

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Nice looking track, nice driving.
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by mdrums
For some reason the video is not loading on my Mac...hummm...loaded fine on the old PC lap top in the kitchen...anyone???

Sin....nice that you experienced Sebring, my home track! Those are great time on street tires....is you car otherwise stock?

You picked up the track really fast....excellent job. You are pushing the car through 7 (hairpin). You can turn inadn kiss the rumble strips on the inside and this will allow you to get the steering straight sooner and allow you to get on the throttle sooner at the apex. Be carefull with cutting Bishops as tight as you did on the 1st lap and mising the apex and going full throttle at 16 is dangerous, 2nd lap 16 was perfect also 17 line was to tight. Next time as you turn into 17 toward the wall on your right side, brake in a straight line at the wall and there are 2 white lines that intersect, that is your turn in mark..BUT do not turn into to the right all the way to the yellow line, stay around a car width off that line to avoid the bumps. You are sticking to the yellow line all the way around 17 and not getting on the throttle until way past the bridge. Doing the line I mentioned (race line) you will be able to get on the throttle a lot sooner and carry more speed all the way through the turn. You should be at full throttle right under the 1st bridge in 17 and track all the way out.

For your ref I am doing 2:28-29's in winter and spring and 2:30 in summer on Toyo RA1...stock car other than GT3 lowers for more front camber. I need better seats too but I use a CG Lock and then lean the seat back and pull the shoulder strap fast to lock it and then move the seat back up and tight with the shoulder strap. Stock GT3 on R- Comp with a good driver do 2:27-30's. Feel with better seats and some other minor suspension bits I can turn a 2:25. Friend of mine who has a 2005 Carrera S gutted out, Moton coil overs, lowered and corner balenced, GT3 Cup brakes, Hoosier slicks, ECU upgrade, headers, no cats or mufflers...turned the car into a race car is doing 2:22-24's.

I need to come do the new PBIR and Homestead...so...I look for you to give me some pointers! ;-)
Mdrums, I have a lot on the car! I'll send you a list. So I may knock off another second or two when the weather cools down...

I was tryin to turn in further on the hairpin, but the tires did not allow me turn in any further. I was also pushing the brakes so hard, I was waiting until the last second to use the brakes to lower my time. The ABS was going nuts!

I also need buckets and harness to keep my butt in place. I was literally using my elbow to keep myself in place!

Thanks for all the pointers! I'll go over the video again.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM
CupsRule is on a distinguished road
Lookin good out there sin ... thanks for posting. I hope to get down to Sebring the fall/winter as our season up here ends.

Originally Posted by sin911
... it is a little bumpy in the cement part (turn 1& 17). The rest is pretty smooth.

OK ... can't help myself ... it's "concrete" not "cement" ... you can't drive on cement ... cement to concrete is kinda like flour to a cake. Sorry, was in the business and I'm here to educate the world

Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by CupsRule
Lookin good out there sin ... thanks for posting. I hope to get down to Sebring the fall/winter as our season up here ends.

OK ... can't help myself ... it's "concrete" not "cement" ... you can't drive on cement ... cement to concrete is kinda like flour to a cake. Sorry, was in the business and I'm here to educate the world
LOL! Sorry, I only know how to drive

You should send me a PM when you plan to come, I would love to drive with you guys!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Mike,

Worked fine on my Mac

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Video: Sebring