6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now.. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/218471-porsche-junior-seat-not-available-what-now.html)

chobit 07-28-2010 04:55 PM

Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now..

So, here I have a 06 C4S Cab. I have a 3 years 2 months old boy, and a daughter coming this Nov.
Originally, I was going to just buy the Porsche child Seats regardless of the price for my son. However, it seems like these seats have been on back order or simply unavailable since 2009.

I have read everything I can on Google search regarding child seat on 997/996.. etc..! As far as I can see, the only other option is to use a Britax Roundabout which only go up to 40 lbs. A roundabout 55 is coming out in Aug to replace the roundabout 50, but I don't even know if the 50 would fit..!

Someone suggestes that the Recaro Probooster would fit, but not sure about the Proride convertible.

I am hoping someone else out there have a solution, but just haven't posted on here yet.

Thanks

Gator Skin 07-28-2010 05:08 PM

Was at Brumos in Jax, FL last week and they had a Porsche Junior seat on the floor for sale about $250. See if you can snatch it up.

chobit 07-28-2010 05:13 PM

Looks like they just closed 13mins ago..! I"ll call tomorrow. Thanks!!
I hope it's not the Junior Plus, since that's the one for about $2xx-, while the Junior is usually over $5xx

w00zie 07-28-2010 05:59 PM

My local mechanic has one for sales, looked fairly new
The guy who originally bought it for 993 and didn't fit

Anyways I know he was asking $250 for it

I used the britax roundabout and it fit great

yrralis1 07-28-2010 06:05 PM

Porsche Junior Seat not available... what now..
No car seat is only the beginning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUs_4...eature=related

chobit 07-28-2010 06:12 PM

You make this sounds scary..... isn't owing a Porsche suppose to be some good experience...

Originally Posted by yrralis1 (Post 2924908)

Hella-Buggin' 07-28-2010 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have two Recaro Vivo seats for my 4 year old girls in my 06 coupe.
They are kind of a hybrid booster with a back and head bolsters.
The requirements are 3yrs / 36 inches/ 30 lbs I think.

yrralis1 07-28-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by chobit (Post 2924918)
You make this sounds scary..... isn't owing a Porsche suppose to be some good experience...

It should be . If I had kids I would have to have some type of family car . Some of the practical cars are so inexpensive that it just makes sense to have it and it also saves miles and wear on the Porsche.

pinoy911tt 07-28-2010 07:53 PM

i have this for sale. used literally 3-4 times. oem porsche seat. pm me if interested.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...ap74/seat2.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...ap74/seat4.jpg

Hella-Buggin' 07-28-2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by yrralis1 (Post 2924966)
It should be . If I had kids I would have to have some type of family car . Some of the practical cars are so inexpensive that it just makes sense to have it and it also saves miles and wear on the Porsche.

We have another family car but love little jaunts in the porsche. The kids just know it's cooler than mom's car. They behave really well with it. The day I got it I told them there were three rules... know them... live them.

1) No touching the paint.
2) No food or drink
3) No shoes in the car. Their little dirty shoes scuff up the leather.

chobit 07-28-2010 11:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here is my current game plan. First for everyone who is offering their Porsche Junior Plus Seat, that's the seat that is widely available at the dealer, and I don't quite need it at this time.
I just installed the Recaro Como to the passenger back seat, which is very tight, but it may work for me for another few months, I'll then move on to the Recaro Vivo, since someones else here have it installed w/o any issues. It will go to the back of the driver side. When the infant comes, I'll get a Combi infant seat rear facing which I test fit today at Baby R U, I think it works ok.
Then once she out grown the Combi, I will move her to a Recaro Proride which I was told would fit better than my current Recaro Como.
If someone else have expereince with this or options please tell me.
Regarding family car..., I did trade in my STi which is far better for kids. However, I can only afford so much at a time, and I really don't want to wait another few years to get my Porsche. I do daily drive it, and I prefer driving it, then having it sitting.
While I'll try using my wife's RDX for any long trip. It's my job to take my son to the daycare every morning with a 3/4 miles drive which are essientially city driving w/o hwy. So, it's relatively safe..!

yrralis1 07-28-2010 11:38 PM

Chobit -
I was simply joking with the ad but I was serious with the second car only because your original post spoke of having three kids (after the baby is born) .

I don't know anything about car seats but I did see a very interesting local news report about car seats having expiration dates . I found the report for you and hope it adds some input to help http://www.wsvn.com/features/article...tions/MI87248/

tcouture 07-29-2010 08:47 AM

I feel your pain... Child seats and 911's are not easy to figure out... Here is the little experience I have.

Data: I have a 2 yr 3 mo and a 5 yr old boys (both tall for their age). I am 6'2" and ride the seats about 2-3 notches from completely back to be comfortable.

After a LOT of trial and error and buying/selling quite a few seats, I ended using a convertible (in front facing configuration) Britax Marathon (1 size up from the roundabout) with the base removed for the youngest, and a Recaro Vivo for the oldest. Both fit very well. I took out the base off the Britax because, with it, the angle was still so reclined that it would take up too much space leaving the kid with absolutely no leg room. I just put a flat towel under it to avoing marking the leather on the seat cushions. I have removed the porsche seat backs to give a little more legroom and the kids are reasonably comfortable for a couple of hours. I tried to remove the lower sections of the seat too but I could not get the seats super-wife-approved-stable with that setup so I put them back in.

I also used a Combi Dakota booster for a while that worked great but it doesn't have a back piece so you need the seatbacks so I stopped using that one except when I have only the oldest and I allow him to ride up front with me on short errand trips. It is a very good idea to have the child deactivation switch installed if you do that.

If I only had one kid, I would get the deactivation kit and the latch attachments installed up front and would put the kid there as it seems to be the absolute most stable place for a child seat in a 911. With the latch straps plus the rear tether tight you could do barrel rolls and it would not move. I find the rear seats can never seem to be tight enough to my taste, no matter how hard I try to tighten them (believe me, I can pull...) and I always end up with still a little bit of play. I tried everything: like rotating the belt attachments to crossing over with belt extensions but nothing is super tight - so do not forget tho attach that tether as it is your most solid connection to the car in the rear imho.

I have no experience with front facing infant configurations but I have a feeling it will be hard to fit that in the back...

Hope this helps,

T.

P.S.: Recaros do seem to be narrower than other brands but they are not readily available here in Canada so it was a hard solution for me to trial and error - so I think you are on the right path by starting with those. It is also interesting to note that I have a friend what came from Australia and the Britax models they have there are all different and all narrower than their NA equivalents and would fit great in P-Cars - but I guess we need bigger ones here to fill our big suburbans. But if you are planning a trip to AU, maybe you can bring back a couple of those...

mgf997 07-29-2010 11:09 AM

I think you have a valid excuse to get a Panamera. LOL.

mshanler 07-29-2010 11:38 AM

The Recaro vivos are working for my 6yr old twins.

I recently took the seat-backs off the Recaros. (The shoulder portions on the recaros seemed to interfere a bit with the belt tensioner.)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cabriolet.html