997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
jason is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scott10s
I don't think you should buy a P-car until you can pay cash and not have a car payment. You should have all your other obligations met first.

I agree.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
Get the financial situation sorted out first, and then indulge. It would be terrible for you to get your dream car and then be unable to take care of it.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by marcnv
Would you have thought this "law" to be a good idea when you were <30 years old, looking to purchase a 'quick' car?

Ignorant statement if you ask me.
Agreed....but probably because I'm 17 -_-

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 PM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
I have worked hard and paid for everything in my life.
I hope someday to afford to have a kid as spoiled as you.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by winkingchef
I have worked hard and paid for everything in my life.
I hope someday to afford to have a kid as spoiled as you.

Hahaha....Well atleast I take care of my car! Unlike most teenagers :P

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
My 20 year old son is driving around in my old commuter car, a 98 Contour SVT. He takes care of it cause he knows that if he doesn't, he will be walking.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM
reewrd has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This is crazy and is exactly what's wrong w our country

To the OP here was my path to a 997:

Work my *** off at two jobs through college
Drove an old beater toyota, saved money
Bought first house, got married by 24
My wife and I worked our butts off, had two kids
Bought bigger house
Saved more money
Made sure there was enough in the bank for two college educations and one wedding
Paid off house
Bought my 997 in 2006 still own it and love it....

I humbly suggest you take stock of your priorities and the fact mortgage rates are at an all time low - maybe you should think about buying a real asset...

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
When i was 20 I had

a 93 honda accord and I rocked it because it was better than walking. The AC was broken, someone ripped my door handle off trying to break into it, the rear windows would go down but not up and the radio had a mind of its own, but i loved that car because it never broke down on me and before I bought it I had rode the bus for 6 months because I could not afford a car.

I actually had an emotional bond with that car because it was my freedom. I really wish I had never sold it, and if i could find the exact car I would buy it back

Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by reewrd
This is crazy and is exactly what's wrong w our country

To the OP here was my path to a 997:

Work my *** off at two jobs through college
Drove an old beater toyota, saved money
Bought first house, got married by 24
My wife and I worked our butts off, had two kids
Bought bigger house
Saved more money
Made sure there was enough in the bank for two college educations and one wedding
Paid off house
Bought my 997 in 2006 still own it and love it....

I humbly suggest you take stock of your priorities and the fact mortgage rates are at an all time low - maybe you should think about buying a real asset...
Your priorities may not be the same as his priorities. He may not want a house. He may not want to get married. He may not want to have kids. What is important or valued in your life may not be the same as the OP's.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
alan000 is on a distinguished road
This thread reminds me of my cousin's friend who HAD to have a 911 so he ended up working 2-3 jobs to buy one and own one, then goes home to an EMPTY apartment where he sits on the floor eating off of a cardboard box (oops, I mean his coffee table). I agree with everyone on here... if you're going to live semi-dependently off your parents (even if paying them rent for their house), stay with a reasonable car. Otherwise, if you choose to ignore everyone's sound advice, then GO BIG! Get a Ferrari or Lambo! That'll get you lotsa girls to take back to your parents' house.

Tourbillon: My first car ('81 320i) also had no AC, a leaking sunroof sealed with bathroom caulk, rust, crank windows, and overheated frequently. But boy I was so grateful for having a car, period. Still have fond memories of it.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
When I was in college I was friends with two families. The first, were very well off, they bought there four children anything they wanted. When one of them totaled his new Audi after a month of ownership, they bought him a new one. The second ones had so much money they made the first family seem like paupers. The family patriarch came from Italy with nothing, worked hard and build a business empire that still thrives to this day. I worked with two of his grandsons. He could have bought them ANY car they wanted and would never had felt it. Well he made those boys SHARE a early 70's Ford Country Squire. They had to work full time jobs and then work as bus boys in a restaurant he owned as a hobby. They lived in a beautiful estate on Long Island's North Shore. When I was visiting one day he took me aside and told me that he makes his grandsons work so hard for everything they have so they learn the value of hard work and the pride in owning something that you paid for yourself. Guess which family is still successful today?

OP, my point in relaying this story is to illustrate to you the importance of working for what you have and not to rely on the generosity of Mommy and Daddy! Living in another one of their properties isn't the same has paying your own way.

Last edited by lacrosse; 08-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM
JJG
JJG is on a distinguished road
Whatever you decide, don't take your situation for granted. You are very fortunate with an opportunity to a bright future that anyone would envy at your age. If you buy the Porsche, appreciate why you bought it, the curves, the engineering, the handling, the power, the pedigree, whatever. Own up to the payments, insurance, maintenance, fuel, modification and depreciation costs. Enjoy it and don't look back it's a great car. However don't default or run to mommy when you can't get that new iPhone. Don't get mad at Daddy if he pisses you off or doesn't let you do what you want because you live in his house. Don't get mad at your date for dumping her drink on your head after she has to pick up the bill. Don't get mad at your buddies and your girlfriend for going on that Australia vacation without you. Don't get mad because you didn't have enough to take advantage of that investement opportunity. Don't get mad that your living paycheck to paycheck. Don't get mad that you could of had that much more in the bank if it weren't for that Porsche. If you can still have a smile on your face and appreciate what you have after all that, then there is no substitute.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
I kill myself with my payments but I'm a Porsche nut and simply couldn't survive without one. I understand the sacrifices I make to afford my car and usually accept them happily. My cost of ownership includes track time and mods.

Just figure out what you really want and why you feel you need it. Make good decisions to ensure your long term survival. A true measurement of wealth is the length of time you could continue to live the life you've become accustomed to if you stopped working.

Living with parents is kinda weak, but it's your perogative. I agree with Larrys post but who am I to impose my beliefs on you.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:46 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
P.S. I own a home that supports it's self with renters and I'm looking at purchasing another rental property by 2011. That's how I afford the car.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 PM
rickwjenn is on a distinguished road
Move out on your own and become an adult first.

Agree with previous comment, that your situation and you thinking it is "OK" is a big problem in this country. Your Dad should show you the door and say "I have done what I can son, good luck...."

BTW - once you are an adult, you will look back and see that this was the best thing your Dad did for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?