997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
jason is on a distinguished road
I read something a few months back about a study that demonstrated that the kids who were willing to delay their gratification were also smarter, more intelligent, more successful, and better socially adjusted, and continued the trend into young adulthood. I can only presume it also continued into adulthood.

Think about that for a bit.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
alicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond reputealicata has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scott10s
I don't think you should buy a P-car until you can pay cash and not have a car payment. You should have all your other obligations met first.
Both kids college tuition is paid for.
Wife has a 15 year service award ring.
Retirement in line for age 59.5, if I want to(or BHO makes me want to.)
Took on an extra responsibility at work, completely voluntary, with extra pay, that I can give up whenever I want.
Then I got the porsche.
On the other hand, if you are single, and you want one because YOU like the car - not to impress anyone else (it won't), and you think you can work hard enough to afford it (not to get political, but don't count on it in this "new economy") - Do It!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 PM
RyanJ is on a distinguished road
Please...Take more B vitamins.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I must be the dumbest adult going then

Originally Posted by jason
I read something a few months back about a study that demonstrated that the kids who were willing to delay their gratification were also smarter, more intelligent, more successful, and better socially adjusted, and continued the trend into young adulthood. I can only presume it also continued into adulthood.

Think about that for a bit.
Because when I want something I normally just work my *** off to get it NOW LOL

Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
It's all about balance. There's lots of folks who worked their asses off to be able to retire at 50 or maybe 60, and then finally travel, etc... only to die earlier than expected.
Delayed gratification can be overdone also.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
a lot of folks "worked their asses off to retire at 50 or 60?"...........wow, is retiring at 50 really considered working your *** off? To me, sounds like a successful retirement!!! Working into ones 70's is more appropriately considered working your *** off..........

Big 5-0 here, taking it year by year, have a 7 and 13 year old. No credit card debts, NO MORTGAGE, bought my P car.........only debt is the wife's leased 2010 Lexus RX350.

I guess I could have gone for "more car".I am old school, sleep well, conservatively invested retirement account, bought my house against most of my successful friends' advice, and wrote a check for my P car. Plan on keeping it, enjoying it and enjoying life. Tough economic times across the US as you know, getting a good nights sleep is the best feeling in the world.

Never over extend yourself for a disposable item like a luxury car.......there are way more important things in life......just my 2 cents.................

Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
It's all about balance. There's lots of folks who worked their asses off to be able to retire at 50 or maybe 60, and then finally travel, etc... only to die earlier than expected.

well, you have a point when looking at it over such a long term, I was actually just thinking moving out of his parents house first would be a good delay of gratification. If that takes him till he's 50, there are other problems.

Last edited by jason; 08-08-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
With modern science and health habits one might just live to be 100 and a healthy 80 year old still has to pay his bills.

A 100K car bought at 25 could grow significantly if invested properly .

A car is a necessity . Expense and debt to own the car are not.

In the OP's example --he's not just spending money that he doesn't have .... but he's sacrificing his independence (which is priceless).

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-07-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
Because when I want something I normally just work my *** off to get it NOW LOL

Sure, I worked my *** off for 15 years to get the Porsche, it took a while to get through all the school, residency, fellowship, etc... to the point I could buy one.

I did not wake up one day and decide to buy a porsche, that day, and then go make 100K, that day.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 AM
rickwjenn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jherbias
Mom says it's up to me, but she said if I got another car only a 911 would make me happy.

Dad doesn't say anything
The following come to my mind: "apron strings", "mommies' boy", and "wimp"...

With comments about your maxed out 401k and a CD that is about to mature with lots MORE money, this is sounding really disgusting. NO ONE is making lots of money on a CD unless they locked it five years ago....

How old are you?

The only thing that would make this more disgusting is if you have an older brother still at home as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Ridleyguy is on a distinguished road
Not a lot of sympathy here ... but if I were you I would begin researching the San Diego condo market for an opportunity there, rather than looking at a depreciating asset (P-car) or financial markets investments. The U.S. is arguably in the worst financial shape it has been in since the 30's and there is a reasonable probability that the worst is not over for the residential real estate market. You can always buy a Porsche 911 down the road.

And to the other point made ...I too don't understand why a young person with any drive and ambition would not want to become independent asap after college - no matter how well they get along with their parents!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
i think i have figured out why this thread is so annoying to me.

the bottom line is you are not mature enough for a nice car, whether you bought it or your mommy and daddy did. how do i know that?

simple-because you have not yet developed the social knowledge to know it is obnoxious to come on a message board and drop the details that you have. it shows me you are a 'show-off' and have a sense of entitlement that will rub everyone you meet in the wrong way. the only people that will want to hang out with someone like that are people that are equally shallow and 'entitled'.

so, in conclusion, if you are going to leach off mommy and daddy, please know that no one will respect that or look up to you for it, so keep it a secret and act like you did something to earn it (and know inside you are a mommy's boy)

and yes, my earlier lambo comment meant that if you are going to leach, go big and get the 'show-offiest' car you can.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
So your not knocking lambo guys right LOL

Originally Posted by 911nojoke
i think i have figured out why this thread is so annoying to me.

the bottom line is you are not mature enough for a nice car, whether you bought it or your mommy and daddy did. how do i know that?

simple-because you have not yet developed the social knowledge to know it is obnoxious to come on a message board and drop the details that you have. it shows me you are a 'show-off' and have a sense of entitlement that will rub everyone you meet in the wrong way. the only people that will want to hang out with someone like that are people that are equally shallow and 'entitled'.

so, in conclusion, if you are going to leach off mommy and daddy, please know that no one will respect that or look up to you for it, so keep it a secret and act like you did something to earn it (and know inside you are a mommy's boy)

and yes, my earlier lambo comment meant that if you are going to leach, go big and get the 'show-offiest' car you can.
Not that my feelings would be hurt anyway but I bought it just because I liked it more than the Ferrari. Showing off did not go into my decision at all. I'm not claiming the car does not get noticed but so would a Ferrari and most other exotic cars. I honestly don't think you can tell anything about a person just by the car they drive.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jherbias
I am wondering if anybody else has had this predicament.

I currently drive a BMW 335i coupe and am getting tired of my high monthly car payment (I put almost nothing down)... hence I want to switch to a different car. I am nowhere near strapped for cash but with my current monthly payment I figured I cannot sustain something that high and move out (I live at home and yes I know I'm spoiled).

I am thinking of trading in my car for an econocar (VW GTI or Golf TDI) and start saving now for the future... or wait until the end of the year and try to find myself a relatively cheap Cayman S or 997.1 after my CD matures (a LOT more money).

I know the brain says get the VW but obviously the heart does not agree. Especially since almost everybody, except a few coworkers and my close friend, says I will just be unhappy if I go down the VW route, which isn't a knock on the car. I am probably overthinking this situation, or just being very stupid about it.

If I end up w/ a Porsche I'd probably be driving it until it explodes... I don't what can you drive after that besides a newer one.
You were a standup guy at E90Post. So I'll give it to you straight; save the money to move out and get the car later.

The sense of accomplishment and independence when you're living alone trumps any giggles you will get from a 997.

Back when I first got out of college, I got a job making about $35,000 a year (which was somewhat decent back then), and I drove an absolute bucket. Less than 7 years from that point (actually about 6.5) I owned my own home, a C6 Z06, and an M3. So it may take time, but the money you save now, and the time you spend developing your career will pay dividends down the road.

You don't want to be the 30 year old poser who lives with the 'rents and drives a hot car. No one wants to be that guy. That's pretty much 70% the population of E90Post.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
The more I think about living with my parents

Originally Posted by NewSong
You were a standup guy at E90Post. So I'll give it to you straight; save the money to move out and get the car later.

The sense of accomplishment and independence when you're living alone trumps any giggles you will get from a 997.

Back when I first got out of college, I got a job making about $35,000 a year (which was somewhat decent back then), and I drove an absolute bucket. Less than 7 years from that point (actually about 6.5) I owned my own home, a C6 Z06, and an M3. So it may take time, but the money you save now, and the time you spend developing your career will pay dividends down the road.

You don't want to be the 30 year old poser who lives with the 'rents and drives a hot car. No one wants to be that guy. That's pretty much 70% the population of E90Post.
The more I think this would be just great LOL. My Parents live in a huge house that is unoccupied most of the time and I would save a huge amount of money per year. Some how I doubt my lady and our son would be down with this plan

I guess I'll have to continue to be a grown up and pay my own bills. BTW this is not directed at the OP. As far as I'm concerned if he is lucky enough to be part of the lucky sperm club where his parents want to take care of him and give him a house then i don't think I can blame him. BTW did he ever say how old he was.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?