997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I finally bought a Porsche!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:22 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
congrats.....good luck...

Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
congrats.....good luck...

Ron,
Tell me that is u wife on u avatar........

Jim

Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Nope...., I did a pool party, and took advantage of a nice admirer of my car, and just starting shooting with my brand new Leica Camera, by your reaction it seems like I did a good job.....lol

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Cabinetman will become famous soon enoughCabinetman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PRS 7
There she is! Try and come back and toss a few impressions on the car if you would.

Not the same but still..
You snagged a car I had my eye on. I should have had both on apparently. I had a white e46 M3 and the 4th 350Z in the state when my order arrived. It was white.

My truck is white and the one before it was silver. Don't tell me your Ford is white or silver.

ps. I would like to hear your impression of the ventilated seats. 91 degree heat index as I type this. Argh.
As a matter of fact my truck is white. My last two have been. Before that I had a silver Chevy. I've also had a silver Lexus IS-F and my wife's SUV is white.

The ventilated seats work decent. I can tell they are working, but the blowers aren't nearly as strong as the ones in my pickup. Also, the a/c in the 997 is not quite as good as the one in the GT-R. The GT-R would get too cold for my taste if I set the thermostat at anything below 74 degrees.

I would love to tell you that the car drives like crap and you are lucky I got stuck with it, but I would be lying. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but so far I'm not missing the GT-R. Well, I do kind of miss knowing that pretty much any car I'm next to at a stop light I can take from 0-60, but the Porsche is more engaging to drive.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:16 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Nope...., I did a pool party, and took advantage of a nice admirer of my car, and just starting shooting with my brand new Leica Camera, by your reaction it seems like I did a good job.....lol

U may want to put some of that in the photography forum

Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 AM
PRS 7 is on a distinguished road
How are you liking it so far?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations on the new addition. I would be interested in a comparison between the GTR and the C2S from an owner of both. Enjoy.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TooSixy
It could be sitting around for 2+ yrs, depending on when it was built. If it was built in June-July 2008, you're looking at 2+ yrs.
Easy enough to deturmine: Check the date code on the tag on the door jam. The date code is a **/** formate ie: 03/08

Congats on the car. You will enjoy the car all the more by spending time on this forum!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Cabinetman will become famous soon enoughCabinetman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PRS 7
How are you liking it so far?
So far I'm loving it.

The driving experience is different from anything I have experienced in the past. The feel of the weight transfer with the rear engine is taking some getting used to, but I like the way the back end digs in under power.

I am really enjoying shifting my own gears again. My previous three sporty cars all had paddle shift transmissions and, while very quick, got a bit boring after some time.

Originally Posted by PT Doc
Congratulations on the new addition. I would be interested in a comparison between the GTR and the C2S from an owner of both. Enjoy.
I'm still working on the comparison in my mind, but here are a few initial impressions.

interior: The Porsche feels a little better screwed together than the GT-R. With that said the interior of the Nissan never felt low rent to me. I much prefer the 997's comfort seats as the seats in the GT-R were a bit narrow for my 6'1" 200lbs frame. I think the Nissan has a better nav and audio system if you get the latest version that is available in the 2011.

exterior: I'm not going to comment on styling because that is personal preference. What I will say is the GT-R is a big car. After some time I got used to it, but I am much happier in the smaller Porsche. I also like having more front end ground clearance.

Driving: This is where things get complicated. I'm still getting used to the driving characteristics of the Carrera so I haven't fully got my thoughts together. Both cars have very good steering and brake feel, but I think the Porsche has a slight advantage in both areas. The GT-R feels more stable to me at highway speeds and a little less darty. The visibility out of the 997 is better than the GT-R especially when backing. Power delivery goes to the Nissan hands down. There is always plenty of power on tap and the AWD systems puts it down to the road beautifully. I'm not sure there is another car with this much performance that is so easy to drive fast.

Overall: If you want to drive one of the fastest cars on the road and actually be able to enjoy the power on the street the GT-R is a very good choice. I'm sure the 911 Turbo is similar, but the price of admission is a lot higher. The 997S is just a more unique and special car to drive. You feel a little more involved in every aspect of the driving experience. This is especially apparent because my car is a 6 speed. Also, the 997 feels like a car that will last forever if well maintained while the GT-R seemed a little more fragile. With that said, I didn't hear about too many GT-R issues except for early abused transmissions.

Once I have more seat time in the 997 I will try to better sort out my thoughts.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by jurnes
Easy enough to deturmine: Check the date code on the tag on the door jam. The date code is a **/** formate ie: 03/08

Congats on the car. You will enjoy the car all the more by spending time on this forum!
My car was built April 2009 according to the sticker on the driver door.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
PRS 7 is on a distinguished road
Nice.

I admit I like to know how fast a car is to 60mph and what it does the quarter in etc..

At this time in life what I really care about is the feeling I have when I turn the key on and the feeling I have when I turn it off.

You now seem to have that feeling you have been craving since you were probably a young lad.

Happy for you.

How many coats of wax have you put on her so far?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM
itspol is on a distinguished road
N-joy your new toy.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 PM
ChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud of
Congrats and post more pics!

Last edited by ChrisC-AZ; 08-18-2010 at 10:01 PM.