6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   C4S flooded (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/220264-c4s-flooded.html)

jester76 08-15-2010 09:54 AM

C4S flooded

The other day during a huge rainstorm, water from the street flooded my condo's garage with ~ 2 feet of water for 2 hrs. I found my car with a soaked floor board and damp seats. My neighbors noticed that the lights and horn were going crazy as she was submerged in water. I learned a few things.

1) Getting a flooded 911 out of a garage is a pain.
2) Unlocking the steering wheel is impossible
3) Jumping the car to get into the trunk to get the tow hook is easier said then done
4) Watching your 911 get towed is sad

Based on the dealer's assessment, the car is not worth fixing. Sight unseen, the adjuster agrees with them. So, I'm waiting for GEICO to decide how much my 2008, 911 C4S w/ 7500 miles on it is worth.

Luckily, the dealer my car was towed to had 1) 2008 C4S w/x51 engine 2) 2007 TT.... interesting opportunities.

justatoy 08-15-2010 10:21 AM

Do your fellow 6 speeders a favor IF/WHEN you get paid out on that car......list the serial number so some poor unexpecting soul doesn't get stung by buying a flooded car.They can be FULL of gremlins once they have taken this much water!

GL and hope all works out for you!

mdrums 08-15-2010 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by justatoy (Post 2943737)
Do your fellow 6 speeders a favor IF/WHEN you get paid out on that car......list the serial number so some poor unexpecting soul doesn't get stung by buying a flooded car.They can be FULL of gremlins once they have taken this much water!

GL and hope all works out for you!

+1 excellent idea!

henrysko 08-15-2010 10:41 AM

Sorry for the loss and I hope your insurance makes you whole.

As far as replacements....I'm sure the TT is very tempting. :D

Best of luck on your next one!

PT Doc 08-15-2010 11:11 AM

Hope all works out for you. Hope you don't take a bath on the depreciation but I know I wouldn't want my car back if it was flooded and supposedly restored. In the end, adjusters look at the bottom line and this includes paying out on a total loss if the risk for bodily injury could be high if the repairs are not done properly and you get into a wreck in the future. Their liability could be phenomenal if someone died driving a car that was flooded, repaired but somehow the safety systems malfunctioned in the event of a MVA or them causing an accident.

So what would you replace it with if they pay you out on it? Another C4S?

Good luck.

lucas997 08-15-2010 11:23 AM

Sorry!

cbzzoom 08-15-2010 10:02 PM

Total loss is a good result for you, it would've sucked if they wanted to repair it.

I can't help thinking it would be sweet to buy a car like that on the scrap market and strip it down for a track-only beast!

robfxlr 08-15-2010 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
best of luck, pick one of these- Insurance Companies are known for being so generous in totalling out low mileage vehicles..................not minimizing your pain, just adding some levity-good luck and let us know...........

Doc GTO 08-16-2010 06:07 AM

Bad news for sure . . . Good luck on the hunt for a new one!

jakesdad 08-16-2010 06:42 PM

Can you let us know what the final resolution is?

Interesting to see what they consider "making you whole" will be?????

jester76 08-18-2010 06:43 AM

I'm happy to report that GEICO has decided to total the car. It was pretty interesting to read their report (how much car would cost to repair, how they determined value of the car etc) I have been very impressed with how they have conducted business and would highly recommend them to anyone. Each person I spoke with was professional, courteous and helpful... even the tow truck guys.

value to repair car: ~60k
value of car as determined by market: ~79k
value given to me after tax: ~84k

pretty fair.
So, I'm taking delivery of an 07 turbo this Friday as a replacement. Maybe Mother Nature and God wanted me to upgrade? haha.

caveatesq 08-18-2010 06:51 AM

Congrats on the new Turbo. Looks like Geico treated you pretty well.

henrysko 08-18-2010 07:48 AM

Turbo!

Glad it worked out for you and don't forget to post those pics.

ryem3 08-18-2010 12:19 PM

Very nice for you! We've read about others battling with insurance companies to get cars totalled, so that is a very good vote for Geico - almost a bit surprising. Did you really get the turbo right off the lot your car was towed to? That's cool! Plus it seems you really got a pretty fair replacement value.
Only 2 feet of water for 2 hours. I guess that is plenty of water no matter how long it was.
Enjoy that turbo and add the pics to this thread!

atr911 08-18-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PT Doc (Post 2943773)
...Hope you don't take a bath on the depreciation...

Thats bad! LOL hilarious