997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why does everyone want to race?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold
What am I advertising? I didn't mention any parts. I thought we were talking about why everyone wants to race you guys! lol

Old 11-20-2018, 01:50 PM
TsaiCo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EJ-997
Don't be tempted to race on the streets. If you kill someone your life will be in ruin. Do your racing on the race track or drag strip.

agreed^^^^

TITTT

Old 11-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Greg2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGreg2010 has a spectacular aura about
Looks like this thread is being resurrected! I just moved to LA and it seems like there are several "unwritten rules of the road" that one must follow while driving in LA (my top-10):

1) it's a competition on who can jump off the line first once the signal light changes-- only to brake hard 30 seconds later because the next signal light ahead is still red!

2) You must drive 25% faster and 50% closer behind the car in front of you so another car can't move over to change lanes!

3) You "roll through" the stop signs...never stop.

4) At all times, there will either be a Tesla, Mustang or Prius driving along side of you.

5) if you are on the freeway and their is open space between you and the car in front of you... speed up to close the gap.

6) when lanes are about to merge...ignore drivers trying to merge by pretending you don't see them (and they too will pretend not to see you) -- until the weaker submits.

7) it's okay to block intersections (just another variation of "closing the gap")

8) bicyclist are just as crazy as motorcyclist.

9) a 25 mph speed limits means 35-40 mph....40 mph speed limit means 55 mph, and 55 mph speed limit means -- if gridlock ever eases, speed up to pass as many cars as possible!

10) double the time that it "normally" takes for making the trip...and you'll arrive on-time more often than not!

I'm sure that there are many more of these unwritten rules...but it's only been 6 months or so since moving to LA, so I'm still taking notes and pretty much of a rookie.

Last edited by Greg2010; 11-24-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:41 PM
sleepy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Greg2010
1) it's a competition on who can jump off the line first once the signal light changes-- only to brake hard 30 seconds later because the next signal light ahead is still red!
Still better than NorCal where honking 3 seconds after green is a daily necessity. People driving mind-numbing crossovers doze off at the light on regular basis.

Also, don't forget turn signals. BMW turn signals jokes don't apply in NorCal or SoCal. NOBODY uses turn signals, EVER.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Astur will become famous soon enough
Recently and while waiting for a traffic light change, a young (I'm 70) gentlemen in the car next to me signaled for me to lower my window. When I did he made mention of how nice my car looked and "how fast will it run"... to which I answered "a lot faster than I have the ***** for!"

Here's a picture of my daily driver pride and joy... 2009 997.2 C2, PDK, Sports Chrono, 19" wheels, Billy Boat cross pipes, 2" GUNDO hack...

Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sleepy
Still better than NorCal where honking 3 seconds after green is a daily necessity. People driving mind-numbing crossovers doze off at the light on regular basis.

Also, don't forget turn signals. BMW turn signals jokes don't apply in NorCal or SoCal. NOBODY uses turn signals, EVER.
Southwest Florida is just the opposite. Almost every driver on the road use turn signals everywhere whenever they move the steering wheel. Seems especially needless and redundant to sit in a designated turn lane with your turn signals blinking and clicking. My understanding is that the whole idea with turn signals is to let other drivers know what your intentions are.....where you plan on going. When sitting in a turn lane you have by default told every driver around you that you are turning in the direction the turn lane specifies since there's no other place you can go. On top of that, traffic in the opposite direction will have a red light anyway once the arrow in the turn lane turns green.

Last edited by sandwedge; 11-26-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:50 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
There is always going to be some fool who thinks the streets were made for showing off and racing every other car on the road. This morning I watched as a young kid, high schooler headed to the school up the street, in a brand new Subaru BRZ, no plates yet, thought he was a road racer and lost control trying to go way too fast around a right hand turn. He hit an older lady in Toyota Camry and then he landed on the island with major damage to his BRZ. The sheriff's deputy was there within 1 minute, station about 2 blocks away. Sadly these kids have no idea how to drive or control a car yet their parents buy them sports cars and they proceed to race everyone and anyone and wreck the cars, hurt themselves and others and occasionally kill someone.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:46 AM
voidopolis is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jungwook
I think we are obliged to "floor it" sometimes...all the time!. Some have never seen a 911 on the road and if we can we should inspire those who may be inspired ... and to give youngsters hopes and dreams.

Not all may appreciate but I do feel that I "floor it" for the good of mankind!. LOL.

Driving a 911 slowly before people who want to see what a 911 is (not the driver) for me is simply showing off.
1989. Driving from college to my job in my red Pontiac Fiero GT with my best friend we drive up on a beautiful red 930. We look over, gawking - he gives us a little nod and just floors it and is GONE. It was right then when I told myself that I would get a 911 some day. Luckily now, I'm shopping for my first 911. So, thanks to the guy in the suit in the red 930 heading North on Route 8 in Akron Ohio for inspiring me and starting my lust for these cars.