6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Why does everyone want to race? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/221117-why-does-everyone-want-race.html)

AKC4S 08-22-2010 07:27 PM

Why does everyone want to race?

Hey guys, this is my first week with my C4S PDK, and it seems like every one including a Ford Ranger wants to race.... Does anyone get this? Also, for some odd reason, I am driving little slower that all of the traffic... I was enjoying the ride today, but for some reason, I felt obligated to..... then I slipped my finger to the sport plus mode and HIT IT!!!!! holy cow, hold on.... then I was like..... where is the nearest WC!!!!!! hilarious

maxzboy 08-23-2010 11:52 AM

This happens to me all the time, especially if you live in a place where there are alot of "rice rockets". haha. no offense! ( I used to have one too).

I'm a mellow person, so I usually just go about my ways. One time I did floored it, but cause the person next to me was driving a heavily modified VW Bug ('65 model), and his engine sounded mean. Lets say our P our not exactly built for 1/4' miles. That thing just launched. It was probably a 400hp engine on a 1200lb car.

tourbillon001 08-23-2010 08:02 PM

this never seems to happen to me

I live in the land of the old people LOL.

gravedgr 08-23-2010 08:40 PM

Dupe thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...want-race.html

JEllis 08-23-2010 09:08 PM

^ lol, I was having deja vu

neuroguru 08-23-2010 09:34 PM

No one even looked twice at my 997.1TT. It was incredibly stealth. Now, every turd in a WRX with a wing as big as the .2GT3's wants to race me.

I had one guy hear my engine as I rolled up to a light at 15 mph, and sneak over a few lanes at the light in order to challenge me. No go! I've been pulled over as I moved away from a stoplight by an officer. He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over? I told him, "No. I do not. I was not exceeding the speed limit." He said it was "exhibition of speed". He let me off kindly and said he just didn't want to catch me 'driving like that around him'. I only hit 40 mph in first gear as I pulled away from the light. No tire squeal. I was not racing. I rolled onto the throttle less than 1/2 WOT. It is ridiculous the effect that loud exhaust and the rear wing have on folks. The GMG center exhaust bypass doesn't help the situation.:rolleyes:

I love the car. Just not the attention. Turbo for the street. 3 for the track. Maybe one of these vinyl wrap guys will come out with a cloaking wrap? http://www.popsci.com/node/31078

AKC4S 08-23-2010 10:55 PM

I guess there is no reason why we need to feel obligated to show the world what we have, but it's hellavalotta fun! I was challenged by a girl in a 370 z, but I think she was more interested in what is under the hood!!!!! I am so glad my wife does not read, nor has interest in these forums!!!!! lol...

Jungwook 08-24-2010 08:52 PM

I think we are obliged to "floor it" sometimes...all the time!. Some have never seen a 911 on the road and if we can we should inspire those who may be inspired ... and to give youngsters hopes and dreams.

Not all may appreciate but I do feel that I "floor it" for the good of mankind!. LOL.

Driving a 911 slowly before people who want to see what a 911 is (not the driver) for me is simply showing off.

cmargosi 08-25-2010 10:10 AM

Sweet AP

Originally Posted by tourbillon001 (Post 2953393)
I live in the land of the old people LOL.

Sweet AP Tourbillion001...

Fastforwardwheels 08-25-2010 10:56 AM

its human nature! lol

ModBargains II 08-25-2010 11:21 AM

I always admire the 911s when I drive by in my M3, but in LA traffic - we don't get a chance to race much! :)

EJ-997 08-25-2010 12:40 PM

Don't be tempted to race on the streets. If you kill someone your life will be in ruin. Do your racing on the race track or drag strip.

PTParks 08-25-2010 02:17 PM

These guys usually possess very little situational awareness. They're so interested in trying to impress a Porsche driver they miss the highway patrolman in the unmarked Dodge Charger that you've been tailing for the last several miles. They figure out their mistake about 2 seconds after the blue lights mounted behind the grill start flashing. Sometimes I'll give them a little beep to acknowledge their stupidity as I drive by.

Ricers...cannon fodder for the road.

ModBargains II 08-25-2010 02:41 PM

I told you guys that I'm in LA where there's really no chance of racing. I wasn't trying to start an entire street racing debate.

Gpjli 08-25-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ModBargains II (Post 2955532)
I told you guys that I'm in LA where there's really no chance of racing. I wasn't trying to start an entire street racing debate.

Just looking for some free advertising? hilarious