997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 to the Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
cmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of light
997 to the Track

Hey All,

I recently had an 08 M3 Conv. totaled and I'm considering moving to the 997 Cabriolet with a PDK.

I always like to track a new car once to see what it can do. What are the "must dos" (i.e. brake pads, lines, fluid) before putting a 997 on track. Or will it survive 1 day at the track stock?

As a barometer, I am an intermediate / advanced driver. I do about 10 - 15 track days a year and I do normally drive a dedicated track car (but it's broken).

Thoughts are appreciated.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Your first time on the track with 997 cab I would run bonestock. I dont know your driving ability but after a few laps you should be able to feel what you need to upgrade to improve lap times and handling etc or you may be satisified with the vehicle just stock. I must say if you havent purchased this vehicle yet and you will be tracking her I would consider getting the S coupe instead of a cab. More power better handling and brakes etc. The frame is just not as rigid on the cab of course.

GL keep us updated !

Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
westloop is on a distinguished road
I'd change brake fluid to ATE, Motul or something along those lines. Other than that, you are set to go.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
For one day, leave it stock. These cars will feel at home on the track.

Enjoy.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by westloop
I'd change brake fluid to ATE, Motul or something along those lines. Other than that, you are set to go.

A friend got the same advice from a dealer? Porsche's fluid is DOT 4 I'm almost certain. So what is the advantage of ATE or Motul fluid?

Thanks
DRP

Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
westloop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drspeed
A friend got the same advice from a dealer? Porsche's fluid is DOT 4 I'm almost certain. So what is the advantage of ATE or Motul fluid?

Thanks
DRP
My understanding was always that the boiling point (wet and dry) of ATE/Motul/Etc. is higher than that of the OEM fluid. And to be honest, unless that is 100% inaccurate, fresh upgraded brake fluid is cheap insurance.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Wheel'$ForLe$$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock my friend keep it that way

Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Running full out at TGPR, I managed to boil my (stock) brake fluid (I guess) on the 4th run. Its a small track without a lot of heavy braking, but I was ***** out on the back straight which meant braking from 110+ into 40-50 mph esses. I was running with an 350/370/Evo group. After a hard brake on the rear straight, the pedal went to the floor on the next braking turn (luckily a slower, flat turn) and I was able to coast into the pits.

Very disconcerting, but after cooling off pressure was back and I was able to run the 5th run at about 50-75% just to work on my line with no problems.

EDIT: just realized my sig has a picture from TGPR. This is 100% pedal pressure braking at ~115 mph.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
I just recently comleted PSDS at Barber Motorsports. We had a variety of 997s, some with as little as 70 miles on the odo. I specifically asked the instructor if they've done anything to the cars and his answer was: "Not a thing". All factory settings and no break-in period either. We were hammering the hell out of these cars and in two days of continuous driving there was not a single problem on any of the 25+ Carreras. These cars are definitely built for the track!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
The PSDS at Barber is great, but you really don't push the cars hard at all (follow the leader). Your car will be pushed much harder at a track day.

I echo the above and initially, would only change the brake fluid. An easy DIY job.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
1 day at the track will be fine. Maybe flush the stock brake fluid out for some Motul RBF660....but you really don't need to.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Your car will not be your limitation.

A stock 997 will be more at home on the track than you will be- it grew up there, metaphorically speaking. But seriously, even half a 997 is more than enough for most on the track.
CATTMAN

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with others on the Brake Fluid. Higher boiling point means you will have a trouble free track day. If your OEM fluid starts boiling you will have to stop at the middle of each session and let it cool down. It will ruin your whole day...

If you're planning to track more than once, you might want more aggressive pads. After a couple track days the OEM pads will melt like butter

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
hate to say it, but i agree with northvan. damn.

for whomever is interested, here's some [old] data on brake fluids to help with any choices.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brake fluids.png
Views:	100
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	131266  
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 AM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
I disagree with Seattle Sun that you don't push your car that hard at PSDS. Could you, please, explain why following a pro driver in 997tt isn't pushing car very hard? I was redlining in every gear and worked hard to keep up on the straight. I've done many track days and and I'd agree that it is more difficult than PSDS but not necessarily harder on the car. Plus, at PSDS you drive someone else's car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 to the Track