6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   2005 Porsche Carrera Engine Failure (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/235366-2005-porsche-carrera-engine-failure.html)

rawdocraw 01-30-2011 10:53 PM

2005 Porsche Carrera Engine Failure

I just replaced the engine in my 2005 Porsche 911 due to the failure of the INTERMEDIATE SHAFT.

I would like to know just how widespread the problem is with 911's and other Porsche models too.

I am considering filing a lawsuit against Porsche to recover the costs associated with replacing the engine.

If you have had an INTERMEDIATE SHAFT failure and have an interest in joining in my lawsuit or simply sharing your experience please contact me.

s/ Robert Winters: westsidetravelmedicine@gmail.com

axhoaxho 01-30-2011 11:11 PM

Interesting first post.

Can you share more details of your story? Did you try an effort to contacting the dealers or PCNA prior to replacing the engine at your cost (I assume from your post) and what did they say?

Regards,

eatbreathdrive 01-31-2011 01:58 AM

Hasn't the service provided you with information about extended warranty? If I'm not mistaken, once the warranty is gone, you could extend it for another full year etc. Not to be a downer, but assuming the car has no warranty since its an '05, even if you filed a claim to Porsche, they would surely claim a drivers fault for engine failure. Or they would want to inspect the car and check where exactly the problem occured and when etc. But good luck with everything! Seriously!

djantlive 01-31-2011 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive (Post 3109717)
Hasn't the service provided you with information about extended warranty? If I'm not mistaken, once the warranty is gone, you could extend it for another full year etc. Not to be a downer, but assuming the car has no warranty since its an '05, even if you filed a claim to Porsche, they would surely claim a drivers fault for engine failure. Or they would want to inspect the car and check where exactly the problem occured and when etc. But good luck with everything! Seriously!

porsche does not offer extended warranty. CPO process requires the car to be purchased by dealer and then resold to get the CPO warranty.

djantlive 01-31-2011 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by rawdocraw (Post 3109652)
I just replaced the engine in my 2005 Porsche 911 due to the failure of the INTERMEDIATE SHAFT.

I would like to know just how widespread the problem is with 911's and other Porsche models too.

I am considering filing a lawsuit against Porsche to recover the costs associated with replacing the engine.

If you have had an INTERMEDIATE SHAFT failure and have an interest in joining in my lawsuit or simply sharing your experience please contact me.

s/ Robert Winters: westsidetravelmedicine@gmail.com

have u talked to a lawyer? are there other channels such as consumer protection? by law, i am not sure if protect failure after warranty would be covered, unless it's a safety concern. ims failure is less common compared to rms but still plagued some 997 mk1.

eatbreathdrive 01-31-2011 02:50 AM

Good luck with the lawsuit! I hope everything will be sorted out in good manners. I mean it!

chance6 01-31-2011 07:37 AM

Hmmm, questions...how many miles on the engine and how often did you drive it? How many miles per year ? And did you let it warm up properly before heavier engine loading ?

Zookie 01-31-2011 07:51 AM

its a common problem since 1999... More Often and More the car is driven less likely they Fail... this topic has been covered thousands of times

JohnM 01-31-2011 08:50 AM

porsche should just do a recall and place a revised set of parts, rather than watch one fail at a time.
Sheesh, even BMW called my M3 in to replace the main bearings "just in case" and then extended the warranty to 100K miles on "any part that is lubricated with engine oil".

Sharkys 01-31-2011 09:02 AM

Sorry to hear that. But, for every first posts like this, there are hundreds more 2005 owners that are driving perfectly fine everyday. Please provide more details on your service history. This is a known issues however.

I have a 2005. If the engine goes, it goes.

Fahrer 01-31-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zookie (Post 3109811)
its a common problem since 1999... More Often and More the car is driven less likely they Fail... this topic has been covered thousands of times

I have heard this a number of times but I have not yet seen any concrete scientific or meaningful statistical data behind the claim to drive it more often to prevent failure.

JohnM 01-31-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkys (Post 3109860)
Sorry to hear that. But, for every first posts like this, there are hundreds more 2005 owners that are driving perfectly fine everyday. Please provide more details on your service history. This is a known issues however.

I have a 2005. If the engine goes, it goes.

shark, just a quick advice, I was going to buy a friends C4S a few years back and it had an engine with the IMS design. I asked him to send an oil sample to blackstone, and they said that something was failing. He took it to protech in NJ and they found that the IMS was ready to fail. He got a stronger one put in for a few grand. It was the first time that the oil analysis ever prevented some catastrophe that I ever heard of! I was glad that I did not buy the car before he found out and got the fix.
So, give blackstone a try. It is no guarantee, but it worked for my friend and saved him a stack of cash.

Axxlrod 01-31-2011 11:37 AM

Lawsuit? Good luck with that.

J.Seven 02-01-2011 03:57 AM

Unbelieveble, ever since 1999 Iīve been hearing these sad stories and the worst part, is that it will continue to happend.
Porsche should assume their own error building these problamatic engines, and provide the parts needed for repair, even if it means a rebuild engine.

We had a Dyno day in September last year and there were three 996 there. We had also a 964, 997.2 S, 997.1 S, Boxster among others. One 996 blew the engine while making the Dyno, just in front of a bunch of 8 Porsche owners that were there. The 996 owner was devasted, and remaining crowd was shocked.

The problem with M96 engine is not internet hype, itīs for real, and the rate failure must be much higher than we think.
I wish you good luck.

J.Seven

jjc4scab 02-01-2011 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 3110015)
Lawsuit? Good luck with that.

j,
my thoughts exactly!

jim