997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Muffler bypass pipes

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Muffler bypass pipes

Considering muffler bypass pipes, how easy is this apparent DIY installation? Anyone here done one?

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-...-bypass-pipes/

Old 05-19-2014, 05:24 AM
colombiano is on a distinguished road
Much easier on a hoist and penetrating oil used on all the bolts prior too. It's loud but I truly enjoy it.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
I've done it several times. Not hard at all. You can install them on set of ramps very easily. That said, make sure to put some penetrating oil on all bolts the day before the job - will make your life much easier.

I will say though, the bypass pipes are SUPER loud. I used mine to set off car alarms in the parking garage at my office. You will most likely get tired of the loudness.

Also, they definitely reduce low end torque. With less backpressure, the motor suffers down low, and you'll certainly feel it.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:10 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Gundo
I've done it several times. Not hard at all. You can install them on set of ramps very easily. That said, make sure to put some penetrating oil on all bolts the day before the job - will make your life much easier.

I will say though, the bypass pipes are SUPER loud. I used mine to set off car alarms in the parking garage at my office. You will most likely get tired of the loudness.

Also, they definitely reduce low end torque. With less backpressure, the motor suffers down low, and you'll certainly feel it.
Really? Ok.. thanks for the info!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
you'll hate the drone even if you don't daily drive it...

Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
I have a Sharkwerks bypass and have no issues with drone. Love the sound, not loud to me at all. Had my side cans Fistered and the sound is just perfect at WOT, below 3000rpm quiet as a sheep..

Sorry just noticed your model is a 997, not sure about the experience in one as mine is on a 997.2

Old 05-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I will give this mod a miss.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by vg247
I have a Sharkwerks bypass and have no issues with drone. Love the sound, not loud to me at all. Had my side cans Fistered and the sound is just perfect at WOT, below 3000rpm quiet as a sheep..

Sorry just noticed your model is a 997, not sure about the experience in one as mine is on a 997.2
You've got a CENTER MUFFLER bypass (like I do). OP is referring to bypassing the side mufflers...MUCH louder.

I am wondering though, you guys that did the side muffler bypass, you kept the center muffler correct?? This the way the GT3 guys do it, but they obviously have a different center muffler. Saves a ton of weight back there for sure.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Wheeler
You've got a CENTER MUFFLER bypass (like I do). OP is referring to bypassing the side mufflers...MUCH louder.

I am wondering though, you guys that did the side muffler bypass, you kept the center muffler correct?? This the way the GT3 guys do it, but they obviously have a different center muffler. Saves a ton of weight back there for sure.
My side cans are bypassed as well (Fister mod). In addition, I have the center bypass from Sharkwerks. This combination has been great for me as to sound (NOT loud) and zero issues (drone).

Old 05-20-2014, 07:23 PM
My side cans are bypassed as well (Fister mod). In addition, I have the center bypass from Sharkwerks. This combination has been great for me as to sound (NOT loud) and zero issues (drone).
He's talking about removing the mufflers COMPLETELY and putting in those straight pipes...no mufflers...nada...only the center muffler.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM
He's talking about removing the mufflers COMPLETELY and putting in those straight pipes...no mufflers...nada...only the center muffler.
Roger that, my bad for not reading the link..

Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Roger that, my bad for not reading the link..
Lot's of double meanings and confusion with P cars...many different bypasses, PSM and PASM, Lobster Forks and Lobster Claws, Carrera and Carrera GT (my wife was convinced my car killed Paul Walker) and then all the stupid wheel names...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Lot's of double meanings and confusion with P cars...many different bypasses, PSM and PASM, Lobster Forks and Lobster Claws, Carrera and Carrera GT (my wife was convinced my car killed Paul Walker) and then all the stupid wheel names...

I wish I owned the car that killed Paul Walker, as tragic as that was, and it was very tragic, the Carrera GT is my fav car.. it was also Paul Walker's - in an interview for one of his movies he was asked what was his fav car and he said Carrera GT, very surreal to watch now. Anyway I've never even seen one, they don't have them in Oz sadly... best sounding car though IMO.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
If you really want to give it a try, the NHP pipes are half the price of fabspeed and essentially the same thing

Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
I have the side bypass pipes on my 997.2...love them. Car feels a tiny bit stronger on the top end, but I haven't noticed any loss in low down power TBH.

Car is pretty damn loud though

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler bypass pipes