997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Center Lock Wheel Change: Tips and Tools

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Mugwhump is on a distinguished road
The wrench is a Proto. Was well used but seemed to be well looked after and seller said calibration was good. Afterwards I went to a truck tire store and they were kind enough to check for me with their wrench (big assed fancy one with all the horns missiles and flashers) and they said the torque was correct. I used 440 as the torque. As to antilock compound I didn't out any on as the nut is tapered. Wrong move? Thanks for the offer to share. That is what the forum is about. I will send you an e-mail.

Mug

Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
AJ997S will become famous soon enough
We will be making a custom set from PUR wheels design 4OUR for a 2012 GTS. All this info. should come in handy!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
amoahkuc is on a distinguished road
One question I have for you guys is that with center locking wheels they are self tightening as you drive so if you have a pair for daily driving because you like the looks, will you ever get into a situation where it becomes a PITA to take the wheel off?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by amoahkuc
One question I have for you guys is that with center locking wheels they are self tightening as you drive so if you have a pair for daily driving because you like the looks, will you ever get into a situation where it becomes a PITA to take the wheel off?
Oh it's a PITA, all right. It takes 444 lb-ft of torque on the bolt. That means a 4 foot long breaker bar. It's about all a person can do to break that bolt without a second person on the bar. To add to the fun, the car's weight and parking brake are NOT enough to hold the wheel. You need to have a person in the driver's seat with a foot on the brake pedal while breaking the bolt loose.

Other than that - no problem!

DMoore
'11 Carrera GTS (with CL's)
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
+1, With my car in the air, engine running, helper with a foot on the brake and me bouncing on the end of a 42" breaker gave my neighbor a good laugh.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 PM
1analguy is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried one of these? I believe they work in both directions, too...

http://www1.snapon.com/25537/TorqueMultipliers.nws

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...130514224859:s

This is the one problem that keeps me from considering a GTS...

Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 AM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
You can buy a used 3/4 torque wrench as a cheaper alternative off eBay.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM
1analguy is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't buy a used torque wrench from anyone, even a friend, unless I still had access to NIST-traceable calibration equipment...which I no longer do.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Much less headache to just convert to 5-lug wheels!

Seriously, the whole center lock experiment was a massive fail.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM
iandiman is on a distinguished road
nice

can i fit CWL to A 997 C2S

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iandiman
can i fit CWL to A 997 C2S

Maybe - but why?

Not to sound too negative, but I had a 997.2 GTS with center lock wheels. What a pain! I loved everything about the car except those center locks. I now have a 991S with conventional wheels and I'm much happier.

My next car might be a GT3. If it is, I'm afraid it'll have center locks as well. I'm willing to put up with them in order to have a GT3, but I'd be much happier with conventional 5-bolt wheels. The positives are minimal (looks? Maybe a tiny bit lighter?) but the negatives are overwhelming (special tools and grease, special techniques, can't change a wheel without another person helping, tire shops that are clueless).

Really. I've been there. Don't do it. don't give it another thought.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'13 Panamera GTS

Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM
iandiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DMoore
Maybe - but why?

Not to sound too negative, but I had a 997.2 GTS The positives are minimal (looks? Maybe a tiny bit lighter?) but the negatives are overwhelming (special tools and grease, special techniques, can't change a wheel without another person helping, tire shops that are clueless).

Really. I've been there. Don't do it. don't give it another thought.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'13 Panamera GTS

Hahahah I just love the look of them, for me, they are just the cool, sets the car off just right ,,, I love working on my car, and i love cool tools so a little grease monkeying around from time to time, I would look forward to that ... And to be one of the only 997 C2S with them on would make my car so Unique

My only concern is Rumour that the Central locking wheel hub are locking up the back wheels in motion Causing a catastrophic skid out ....

There is a guy in the UK, had just took Delivery of a 991 GT3 And lost the back end in a straight line at 50 miles an hour,,, he is not talking about it , For legal reasons ,,, but it makes you wonder ...... Here the link ... http://thesupercarkids.com/porsche-9...-on-the-clock/

Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
Hahahah I just love the look of them, for me, they are just the cool, sets the car off just right ,,, I love working on my car, and i love cool tools so a little grease monkeying around from time to time, I would look forward to that ... And to be one of the only 997 C2S with them on would make my car so Unique

My only concern is Rumour that the Central locking wheel hub are locking up the back wheels in motion Causing a catastrophic skid out ....

There is a guy in the UK, had just took Delivery of a 991 GT3 And lost the back end in a straight line at 50 miles an hour,,, he is not talking about it , For legal reasons ,,, but it makes you wonder ...... Here the link ... http://thesupercarkids.com/porsche-9...-on-the-clock/
If it were a systemic problem it would be widely known. Centerlocks are fine.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about

The problem you're refering to has nothing to do with CL wheels. It's pesky lil problem on the 991 GT3 with the conrod bolts failing, causing the engine to throw a rod and puke all its oil.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM
slammp is on a distinguished road
just a question/suggestion on the requirement to have someone stand on the brake pedal. Can you strap the wheel to the frame with a conventional ratcheting tie down strap to prevent it spinning? I used to do this on my MV Agusta (same center lock). The strap did not damage anything and kept the wheel from spinning. Without it three gorillas on the breaker bar and a 400lb guy on the bike were not effective.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center Lock Wheel Change: Tips and Tools