997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What do you use for a trickle charger/battery maintainer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Question What do you use for a trickle charger/battery maintainer

When storing your cars, what do you guys use to maintain your battery? Trickle charge basically so the battery doesn't die. I do try to start the car at least once every weekend, but sometimes she sits for a few weeks at a time, so was thinking of picking this up from Suncoast but wanted to check and see what other folks use before I spend $110 + S/H. TIA 6speeders!

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95504490054.html

Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger
Code: 95504490054

MSRP: $126.24
Price:$109.95
You Save: 12.90%

Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger

This is Porsche's latest Battery Maintainer, it is a simple and safe way to charge your battery. This gives you the option of charging through your Porsche's cigerette lighter. You can select from a standard charging mode, or a pulse maintaining mode for while the car is in storage. This can be used to charge any battery, fron 2-120 amps. Plug it in, and forget about it!!
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Option: Adapter Clamps can be purchased also, they help when you are charging the battery outside the car. They can also be used to open your front trunk if you have a dead battery.
Note: This battery maintainer won't fix a defective battery. If you suspect that the battery is defective, or if a maintainer won't help, have your battery tested by a professional. For North American usage only, contact us if you're outside this area.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Atomic is on a distinguished road
I have the cheaper Porsche charger from (Suncoast Code: 98061198100) it's only like $55, does what I want it to. Got it from the dealership thou, they had the higher dollar one, but showed me the less expensive version.

Last edited by Atomic; 02-22-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
I use Porsche trickle charger. Had it for some time now. No issues and it's Porsche OEM... So no worries on compatibility or voltages.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
I have that exact one in your post.
Works great!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I have the Porsche trickle charger that's referenced in boochooks post and it has worked fine for several years. While it's labeled Porsche it's actually built by CTEK. For years CTEK had an identical model for a lower price. Looking at CTEK models on at ctek.com and smartcharter.com it seems they have upgraded their models which leads me to believe that the Suncoast Porsche model is an older design.

I'm not savvy enough to know whether the latest CTEK models are substantively better, but they are cheaper. Go figure, the Porsche logo adds at least 30% to the cost!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Aston Martin. Seriously, when I swapped out my battery a few weeks back, my friend lent me the one that came with his car and it worked fine. I'm sure it's something like the CTEK as mentioned above.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
No way Porsche makes a trickle charger, but YES way they profit from it, because that's what they do best.

The CTEK is the same thing for practically half the money. I love it.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
I have a Porsche battery tender. Plug it in to the lighter adapter and hit the car button.

Works great.

About $100 or so

Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Only use a battery maintainer if you absolutely need it. If you drive the car every week to 10 days and do so with a good drive (say 20 miles without stops) you do not need a maintainer. However good maintainers are, they all tend to dry up a battery.
I have an Porsche maintainer (dual mode made by CTek) but rarely use it, as my car is driven.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I had a battery maintainer that I purchased from that American floor mat company that advertises in all the car magazines (they're not a forum sponsor, so I probably can't mention their name, but you know who I mean).

Any way, the plastic case looks exactly like Porsche's maintainer, so I assume they are made by the same manufacturer with similar electronics inside, just different branding and different pricing.

I really liked the the battery connector it came with. Instead of a cigarette lighter plug, it had battery connectors and a special plug. I screwed the connectors into the battery and left the plug exposed under the hood. (The unit also came with an extra pair of alligator clamps, so I could use the charger on other vehicles if I wanted).

Whenever I wanted to connect the charger, I would simply plug the maintainer's corresponding plug and wire into this plug under my hood. I could even close the hood becaue the wire was not too thick. I appreciated not having to leave the window cracked open, just to use a cigarette lighter plug. The maintainer did a great job; it had bike, automobile, charge, and maintain functions. It could also support two different battery amperages.

Unfortunately, I accidentally drove over it one day, but I liked it so much, I plan on buying another one, instead of the Porsche version. It was only $60 -- a good price for the features and quality. And for that price, I consider it to have built-in insurance, in case you damage it .

Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I use a Battery Tender with lighter adapter. Cheap and very effective.

Matt

Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Home Depot sells a Black And Decker floating charger for $22.00. I have used it for more than a year and it works beautifully. Very rugged and comes with three adapters.

Yves

Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Atomic
I have the cheaper Porsche charger from (Suncoast Code: 98061198100) it's only like $55, does what I want it to.
Ditto.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What do you use for a trickle charger/battery maintainer