997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by See-ya
The MPSS went on my Porsche today. It is actually a bit noisy and it is weird because it is not a constant sound like the one you get when the tires wear out. I don't know if it is because they are brand new or what...I am hoping. thanks
That is odd- I have a number of friends with 996/997's, and another with a new vette, and everyone says they are smooth and quiet as butter. I'm having that same smooth / quiet experience as well on my 997 cab- and I run with the top down a lot. Have not found a fault with these tires yet. Of course, tires always react differently on different cars, yours is a Boxster correct? How is your alignment, when was the last time you had it done?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
My MSS are much better than stocks in every way and are more quiet.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
My MSS are much better than stocks in every way and are more quiet.
Agreed- Actually, Tom at Lucent turned me on to these tires, he runs them on his own pcar.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 AM
See-ya is on a distinguished road
Well, that is why I bought them - rave reviews like yours. Mine is an 01 911 Cabriolet. The Dealer said they checked it (alignment). I only drove it from the dealer to my house to store it again for another month or until I can't stand it anymore. Maybe it was the highway I was on. I will take another highway and see what it does. Thanks for confirming it shouldn't be that way. I didn't look, but assume that the stickers are not on the tires too. That would be funny -duh.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by See-ya
Well, that is why I bought them - rave reviews like yours. Mine is an 01 911 Cabriolet. The Dealer said they checked it (alignment). I only drove it from the dealer to my house to store it again for another month or until I can't stand it anymore. Maybe it was the highway I was on. I will take another highway and see what it does. Thanks for confirming it shouldn't be that way. I didn't look, but assume that the stickers are not on the tires too. That would be funny -duh.
Ya that is odd- it should be awesome on your 996. when was the last time you actually had your pcar aligned? Don't trust the dealer to "check it". What does that mean, exactly... lol. Did they actually put your pcar on a 4wheel laser aligner and "check"? Or did some yahoo just "eyeball it" by standing in front of your car and saying "looks straight to me". Typically, with normal town / city driving you need to properly check alignment on all four wheels once every 2yrs.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I will check that out.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
have to concur with having your alignment checked. I put on a couple of MSS just a week ago and believe me, the tires are much, quieter. So quiet in the non sport mode a passenger would wonder if they are in a sports car or a regular sedan

Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
op was asking about weight difference between ps2 and pss.. I am definitely gonna try these out on my next set for the 997 C4S which have 305's on the rear. It is about a $400 difference between ps2 and pss.

What I did notice when comparing the tires was that the:
ps2 tread depth is 8.5 vs pss tread depth of 10
ps2 rating of 220 vs pss 300 AA (slightly harder compound)

I am thinking the tread depth may be the factor that gives the tire a quieter character and the harder rubber compound for the added 1-2 lbs weight difference.

Can anyone tell me if the PSS has the nice pronounced lip bead like the PS2. This gives the tire a wider look as the bead comes out from the rim, but more importantly the angled side wall, especially on the rears, that really add to the handling and less sidewall flex characteristics that give ps2 a nice turn in characteristic.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I can't call it. All I can say is that I feel very good on my PS2s. I don't take mine on the track, but what I have done with it was impressive compared to what I had on before. Sooo quiet too.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by qikqbn
Can anyone tell me if the PSS has the nice pronounced lip bead like the PS2.
Yes they do.

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
excellent, good to know and thanks for the pic too!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by qikqbn
excellent, good to know and thanks for the pic too!
You're welcome!

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
jimny is on a distinguished road
Would you only go to a dealer for alignment or any trusted car shop is ok?

Is alignment more applicable to fronts vs rears?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 AM
DrScientist is on a distinguished road
hate to revive an old thread, but is anyone running the super sports on the standard 18x10 rears? oem sizing is 285/30, but tirerack doesn't seem to stock that size in the super sports.

has anyone tried to run a 285/35/18?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
sorry, I can not really comment on your tire size, but I will say that I got super sports installed a few months ago and they are a great and cheaper alternative to Pilot sports.
They look great and have the same pronounced bead lip and sidewall angle that give the pilot sports a wider look, less side wall flex, and sharper bite on turn in. I am really hoping they last longer then my PS2's. I went through 2 sets of PS2's and got less then 10,000 miles from each set. If I can reach 10-12k miles I will be very happy and impressed. Plus, they cost about $500 less for the set of 4 tires.

Only noticeable difference I felt... besides that they are much quiter, which could be due to the new tread depth of new tires, is that I noticed a little bit of wandering on our crappy freeways here in Los Angeles. Wider tires tend to do that, but Also during some quick transitions you may feel a little wiggle, as if the tire pressure is low. My tire installer did not fill them up to Porsche spec, so they were a bit under inflated and felt soft. So make sure you run the proper tire pressure when you get them. Over all I am very happy with them and will purchase Super sports from now on. No more PS2's for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier