997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY: 997 OEM Trunk Mounted Collapsible Spare Tire – C4S

Old 05-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stilljester
Please excuse the crudeness of the sketch but I think this should help.
Cool. What is the location of those rivet holes?
I've got a 997.2 Targa4 I'm going to be adding the frunk spare to.

Did the washer and nut for that threaded rod come from a spare tire kit?

I noticed in the photos you linked to that you
1) had to trim the styrofoam insert ... why was that necessary?
2) you got some new carpet - why? Was that to facilitate that plastic housing along the left edge? Whats in that housing?

Last edited by Minok; 05-08-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 AM
stilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Minok
Cool. What is the location of those rivet holes?
I've got a 997.2 Targa4 I'm going to be adding the frunk spare to.

Did the washer and nut for that threaded rod come from a spare tire kit?

I noticed in the photos you linked to that you
1) had to trim the styrofoam insert ... why was that necessary?
2) you got some new carpet - why? Was that to facilitate that plastic housing along the left edge? Whats in that housing?
-The location of the stud is centered as high as possible over the dimple shown in the picture. Once you remove your trunk liner it a bit easier to understand.

-The collar which holds the spare tire came with the 996 spare / tool kit I purchased. The wing nut came from McMasterCarr.

-The styrofoam insert needs to be trimmed to allow the wheel to sit flush against the back wall.

-The old carpet had a larger cutout to accommodate the NavDrive which was to the right side of the amp. (It was almost impossible to tell when the spare was installed but I knew it wasn't correct so I replaced it.)

Last edited by stilljester; 05-09-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 PM
boxthehawk is on a distinguished road
How Much Room Is Left?

I am buying a 2007 997 C2 and will be driving the entire Pacific Coast Highway this summer. I'd like to get a spare but am curious how much room is left after putting the spare in?

Also, I can't find anywhere to buy these... any ideas?

Thank!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by boxthehawk
I am buying a 2007 997 C2 and will be driving the entire Pacific Coast Highway this summer. I'd like to get a spare but am curious how much room is left after putting the spare in?

Thank!

The spare can be purchased from Suncoast, or ordered through any dealer given the right part number.. If you want the full kit with insert, jack, tool, etc. Suncoast sells a kit. You still have to buy the other hardware (from the first post) from separate sources if you want to properly secure/mount the thing in the frunk. You should have more room in the C2 than I'll have in my T4, but for luggage you would need to use the back seats and deck for most of it.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
boxthehawk is on a distinguished road
The spare can be purchased from Suncoast, or ordered through any dealer given the right part number.. If you want the full kit with insert, jack, tool, etc. Suncoast sells a kit. You still have to buy the other hardware (from the first post) from separate sources if you want to properly secure/mount the thing in the frunk. You should have more room in the C2 than I'll have in my T4, but for luggage you would need to use the back seats and deck for most of it.
I have searched Suncoast high and low and can't track it down. Would you be able to post a link to the full kit?

Also, how do you inflate it in the middle of nowhere? Does the kit have a pump?

Thanks! I'm picking up my C2 on Thursday and I can't wait!

Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I have searched Suncoast high and low and can't track it down. Would you be able to post a link to the full kit?

Also, how do you inflate it in the middle of nowhere? Does the kit have a pump?

Thanks! I'm picking up my C2 on Thursday and I can't wait!
Its not easy to find by drilling down, you just have to search for "spare tire" and end up here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997STK.html

Priced at $1000, its not cheap.

You inflate it with the electric inflation pump that comes standard with your car (just plug it into the right 12v lighter outlet... otherwise it blows a fuse I'm told... see manual)

For some reason not clear to my, you pick your body style (coupe/cab/targa)... though there is nothing in the kit that should vary as a result of the body of your car.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 AM
stilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud of

Thank!
I can fit a standard airline carryon in the trunk still without any hassle.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 PM
fusion85 is on a distinguished road
Altho not as elegant, an alternate means of securing the spare in an all wheel drive car is to thread a nylon strap from the clip in the alcove under the compressor up thru the center of the rim of the spare. No drilling required.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Question: what does that rod assembly due to the issues in a high speed front end impact?

I see the potential for that rod to be pushed back through the fuel tank, puncturing it, creating a significant fire risk if:
  1. No spare is fitted to the car (ie its just sticking out like that) .. so I'd want that rod to be easily removable for when I'm not hauling my spare
  2. If the rod is not the right length such that the spare itself sticks out more than the rod (so any body collapse could cause backward movement of the rod without equal movement of the entire spare assembly)

Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Question

Excellent write up. If I may ask a few questions on your install.

I also have the collapsible spare with I purchased less than 6-9 months ago from suncoast. The park number on mine if different from yours, my spare part number is 996.362.120.03 (total width is 21.5")...

I also have a C4S (2007 997.1) with Bose , Nav & CD Changer but the measured depth of my frunk is 21.5" which is the exact height of my collapsible spare. Somehow your spare sits what seems an inch lower against the back wall in the frunk??

Would you let me know what your frunk depth measurement is along with the total (tread to tread) width measurement for your collapsible spare is?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
I think I figured out the difference...
After looking at this photo you posted ( http://public.fotki.com/stilljester/...-pn.html#media ) I see yours is a 5.5 x16" wheel where are mine is 5.5 x 17" wheel....hence the 1" height difference.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Question: what does that rod assembly due to the issues in a high speed front end impact?

I see the potential for that rod to be pushed back through the fuel tank, puncturing it, creating a significant fire risk if:
  1. No spare is fitted to the car (ie its just sticking out like that) .. so I'd want that rod to be easily removable for when I'm not hauling my spare
  2. If the rod is not the right length such that the spare itself sticks out more than the rod (so any body collapse could cause backward movement of the rod without equal movement of the entire spare assembly)
A lot of things can happen in a high speed impact so I personally don't feel comfortable speculating on the "what ifs." However I will say this style mount is not unique and I was conformable with the results of my own risk/benefit analysis. I would say with any modification you need to make your own decision regarding the risks caused the modification itself...

RE(1): Agree and the rod is threaded so you can remove it when no spare is present

RE(2): Agree and it is not longer then the depth of the spare for that reason.

Thanks for your interest / comments.
Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
I think I figured out the difference...
After looking at this photo you posted ( http://public.fotki.com/stilljester/...-pn.html#media ) I see yours is a 5.5 x16" wheel where are mine is 5.5 x 17" wheel....hence the 1" height difference.
Ok; let me know if I can help with anything else.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Exclamation

Its not easy to find by drilling down, you just have to search for "spare tire" and end up here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997STK.html

Priced at $1000, its not cheap.

You inflate it with the electric inflation pump that comes standard with your car (just plug it into the right 12v lighter outlet... otherwise it blows a fuse I'm told... see manual)

For some reason not clear to my, you pick your body style (coupe/cab/targa)... though there is nothing in the kit that should vary as a result of the body of your car.

Heads up, the kit Suncoast sells contains a 17" wheel NOT the 16" posted here so you WILL have frunk lid clearance issues as I mentioned in previous posts..

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice clean work

Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Heads up, the kit Suncoast sells contains a 17" wheel NOT the 16" posted here so you WILL have frunk lid clearance issues as I mentioned in previous posts..
Pics below are of a 17" spare in the trunk of an '07 997 C4S. With the spare tilted as shown there are no clearance issues. Pic of the boot lid is fully closed with the spare inside. Last pic is with the top 2.5 inches from being fully closed as that was as far as I could get the boot closed and still take a picture.
I also suspect that with nav unit removed the wheel will sit upright against the bulkhead without and clearance issues but I am basing that on my own observations and those of the OP. I can not absolutely confirm it as I did not remove the nav unit when I test fit the spare. However, as I will only be using the spare on road trips out of town, tilting it works fine for my purposes. I plan to secure the spare to wind screen tie down point to limit the chances of it rolling/moving while the car is in motion.

Attached Images    

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 997 OEM Trunk Mounted Collapsible Spare Tire – C4S