997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 PM
MarkusB1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sprtan
I ended up deciding on a 2012 911 Cabriolet (I am picking up this weekend) to be used as a weekend car which I will occasionally drive to office on a Friday.
Nice choice... lemme know if you want someone to drive on weekdays. Can't imagine driving anything more exotic either, maybe you have to work your way up to it. 2 or 3 Porsches -> Aston Martin -> Lambo

Originally Posted by sprtan
Whereas I have wanted this car since seeing Annie Becker in it on LA Law
i didn't know Arnie had a sister, is it a twin? Ever watch Californiacation??

Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 PM
taddyangle is on a distinguished road
Good for you on buying the Porsche. I bought a 2005 Porsche Cayenne S 3 months ago. First time 45 year old Porsche owner and have been wanting a 911 ever since 6th grade. In any case, with two kids and a wife as well as a 4 seater convertible the 911 was not realistic.

Anyway, I had been driving a Honda Fit, so this was a huge change. I can say that the perception is that these cars are expensive and that I must make huge amounts of money. I am fine with that perception. But honestly the CS was less expensive than most new cars, and it is such a thrill to drive that I don't even care what people think.

I look forward to driving it every day. I paid $23.250.00 and it had 39,000 miles. I had to buy tires ($800) and some other minor preventive maintenance ($350), so i am in with tax/lic. about $27,500 total. But the reality is I can put 45,000 miles on it in 4 years and sell it for $16,000. I suspect I will spend $3,500 in maintenance during that time. So I figure my cost is about $4k a year to own for 4 year period. In my mind cheaper than buying a new $30k car.

Yes, pretty stupid to go through this process to justify buying a Porsche. Anyway, it worked for me. And I will be buying a 911 in 4 years!!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
getta GT-R

Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
FTIW if you can afford the car that who cares what others think.

I work in a lucrative industry and I hear cr*p all the time about my car. Mind you this is from people that have huge boats and vacation homes in VT. To hell with all of them. If the car is something you will enjoy and you can afford it without compromising your lifestyle than blessings upon you! Enjoy your car to the fullest.

And post up some pics real soon!

All the best!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Dude... you are really not allowed to do this! Give us details on the car... more than a few of us feel as if it is partially ours now with all this moral support we carried you with! Spill the beans and give us pics and details or you will be banned for ever... or so I heard... hehe

Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Hey guys

I ended up buying the car.

Thanks for this great thread. It really took off. I am glad people enjoyed it.

I was a bit hesitant to post it at first, stating my income and all that. But I am glad it worked out to be a neat and almost heartwarming (for lack of a better word) thread.

Yes the 911 is a chidlhood dream and tmw I am picking her up. I've worked hard to make a good income, and now its time to treat myself a bit. I have soem guilt about being excited about such a material thing, but what the hell, maybe I should just roll with it and use thsi inspiration and motivation to keep on movin on .

I have no regrets buying the thing at all. I just hate the paperwork and all that. Just cant wait to pick her up and get the hell outta the dealership.

Being an at-home entrepreneur, I've lived a rather reclusive life lately, I do not get out much. I think I will get out more with this bad boy. This nice spring weather just made me pull the trigger.

Our society makes it out to be shameful to want a lot of money or to want material things, but I am not sure its really all bad. Life is about having dreams and a few of us go out and get em. Many people just sort of surrender and settle. I do not look down at that at all, sometimes I respect it.. but its just not really my style lately.

I dont know where I am going with this, but, I am happy with my purchase.. Thank you for your help.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
Dude... you are really not allowed to do this! Give us details on the car... more than a few of us feel as if it is partially ours now with all this moral support we carried you with! Spill the beans and give us pics and details or you will be banned for ever... or so I heard... hehe
He had a thread about getting a S or non-S and I posted on both, I'm curious too, to see what OP got.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM
iceman912 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Hey guys

I ended up buying the car.

Thanks for this great thread. It really took off. I am glad people enjoyed it.

I was a bit hesitant to post it at first, stating my income and all that. But I am glad it worked out to be a neat and almost heartwarming (for lack of a better word) thread.

Yes the 911 is a chidlhood dream and tmw I am picking her up. I've worked hard to make a good income, and now its time to treat myself a bit. I have soem guilt about being excited about such a material thing, but what the hell, maybe I should just roll with it and use thsi inspiration and motivation to keep on movin

I have no regrets buying the thing at all. I just hate the paperwork and all that. Just cant wait to pick her up and get the hell outta the dealership.

Being an at-home entrepreneur, I've lived a rather reclusive life lately, I do not get out much. I think I will get out more with this bad boy. This nice spring weather just made me pull the trigger.

Our society makes it out to be shameful to want a lot of money or to want material things, but I am not sure its really all bad. Life is about having dreams and a few of us go out and get em. Many people just sort of surrender and settle. I do not look down at that at all, sometimes I respect it.. but its just not really my style lately.

I dont know where I am going with this, but, I am happy with my purchase.. Thank you for your help.
Congrates , consider yourself wise to hv some common sense and guilt for asking these question( most people dont ). live your dreams , enjoy the car in good health. Stay grounded like u are now and u will hv a good life.

AND YES U ARE REQUIRED TO POST PICS OF UR NEW TOY......

Last edited by iceman912; 05-26-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 AM
jplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the roughjplanaux is a jewel in the rough
Depends!

Pre rapture answer: !Hell Yes!

Post rapture answer: oops, maybe I really should be driving that 6 year old Honda Accord...

Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 AM
sprtan is on a distinguished road
Great point on the "not knowing what other people spend their money on..." I have had similar discussion with friends/colleagues. The same guy/woman that you worry about how they perceive your car purchase because they drive a less expensive vehicle, may also own a boat, motorcycle, vacation home(s), paying for half their nieces and nephews college education, and/or any number of personal luxuries or responsibilities.

It all comes down to what brings you pleasure and what you can and choose to afford.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 PM
movingup is on a distinguished road
One statistic I saw said

According to one statistic I saw somewhere says average carrera owner's annual household income is around 350k.
The thing is u can buy a carrera with ur gross income of 200k . Howeve, what about all other things general public expect from a Porsche owner. Neighborhood, restaurants, shopping, travel etc.
In order to do those things, u need around 400k / yr

At least that's what I think. Nothing more embarrassing than drive carrera to 99cent store. That's what stopping me from getting f458, even though I can afford f458's purchase price.

Last edited by movingup; 05-27-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Add more
Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by movingup
According to one statistic I saw somewhere says average carrera owner's annual household income is around 350k.
The thing is u can buy a carrera with ur gross income of 200k . Howeve, what about all other things general public expect from a Porsche owner. Neighborhood, restaurants, shopping, travel etc.

At least that's what I think. Nothing more embarrassing than drive carrera to 99cent store. That's what stopping me from getting f458, even though I can afford f458's purchase price.
It's embarrassing to go to a 99cent store?

I could give a crap about what people think (of course, maybe that's why I'm comfortable driving a Nissan).

Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Live Life...

Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
It's embarrassing to go to a 99cent store?

I could give a crap about what people think (of course, maybe that's why I'm comfortable driving a Nissan).
My father who is a pretty successful business man drives his $100K S-Class Mercedes to the thift store, that is the only place that sells old vinyl records, he loves how they sound. I don't know about you but I thought it was pretty cool to see a S-class parked in the thift store parking lot.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !

you are WAY off base. Firstly, you certainly do NOT need to make 200k to buy a carrera (especially a used one). Second (and more importantly) who cares what others "expect" of a porsche Owner... Living your life in the endless pursuit of satisfying others expectations and tailoring your lifestyle around how a "x-car" (in this case p-car) owner should live is about as surface deep and ridiculous as buying the car to make someone else happy. Points of view like the one you expressed take away from what these cars were meant for... to be enjoyed, but more importantly to be DRIVEN.

Lastly you are saying 400k in regards to income like it is some magic number to reach. You minus well compare apples to avocados. 400k in NYC or LA will buy you totally different houses/restaurants/lifestyle than 400k in rural wherever.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I guess everyone's point here is it really depends 'what' carrera... purchased within an affordable range should not make you confined to the numbers you speak of.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?