997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
Thanks, all you guys are great. If only you'd each pitch in a thousand dollars, I'd have my engine in no time!

Call me crazy, but this is where I am:
1.) get a new crate motor, X51 if available
OR
2.) Get this engine rebuilt as either a Turbo or a 4.0 NA

Call me crazy, but right now, option 2 is more interesting. I guess that's the kind of guy I am, always pushing the limits in favor or what's more unique, despite the inherent risk...
CATTMAN
If you drop the CR to 10:1 and put in factory size forged pistons and rods you could turn up the boost (larger crank or smaller snout pulley) on the S/C and make PLENTY of power!!! You already have a lot of the parts. TPC could adjust the tune for the added boost.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, all you guys are great. If only you'd each pitch in a thousand dollars, I'd have my engine in no time!

OR

Call me crazy, but right now, option 2 is more interesting. I guess that's the kind of guy I am, always pushing the limits in favor or what's more unique, despite the inherent risk...
CATTMAN
I vote #2...and it seems to fit your personality (in a good way since I have no idea what you're really like). Let a reputable shop have its way and at the end of the day you will have a car that will run with the best. This is not the end of the world; just a detour to the path you would have eventually taken anyway. Best wishes,

Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
If you drop the CR to 10:1 and put in factory size forged pistons and rods you could turn up the boost (larger crank or smaller snout pulley) on the S/C and make PLENTY of power!!! You already have a lot of the parts. TPC could adjust the tune for the added boost.
I am in fact talking to Casey at TPC right now about such possibilities. Given the opportunity to forge new ground (albeit with risk, which we already know I am not afraid of) I find myself attracted to this option...
CATTMAN

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I like your style...best wishes.

I am in fact talking to Casey at TPC right now about such possibilities. Given the opportunity to forge new ground (albeit with risk, which we already know I am not afraid of) I find myself attracted to this option...
CATTMAN

Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Cattman, since you like forced induction I say you go with TPC and do a proper Turbo motor and lean towards reliability on your build. All the best with this!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Ping pong here!
Now I am leading towards buying a rare 993S that a friend of mine knows about for a great price, and putting the 997SC into storage until prices on new crate X51 or normal engines normalize...I am insane, that would give me 3 of these cars. Ugh!
CATTMAN

Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Sounds to me like half of a zanax and a time out are in order

Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Ping pong here!
Now I am leading towards buying a rare 993S that a friend of mine knows about for a great price, and putting the 997SC into storage until prices on new crate X51 or normal engines normalize...I am insane, that would give me 3 of these cars. Ugh!
CATTMAN
Sounds like you've got some great choices. Are you planning to take a break from the track until you rebuild the SC? There are some nice 993's for sale that would be great for the track. I'm thinking of jford and ABT over on RL, but I'm sure there's more out there.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute

OR

CATTMAN
ship motor to TPC or any other reputable builder if they agree to inspect it, at least you will know if it is salvageable or not. I would probably stay with 4L NA as I would definitely track this car a lot, if your primary application will be street driving then turbo or SC is probably fine, either way it makes sense to make sure if engine is recoverable or not.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
John,

another possible option to consider, well, it is quite extreme, but I think Renegades got a conversion kit for LS engines for 996/997 cars now, anyway, look at this thread and decide if it of any interest to you or not.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...native-v8.html

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Wow.. that is a relatively cheap solution to this problem.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Look, I am absolutely willing to be a guinea pig or Frankenstein for any builder, I have my '87 Carrera 3.2 to tool around in, but my wallet has a cap. I might perhaps solicit bids for what is possible at the $25k limit. Let me loan my car to whomever has an idea, and share the risk with them.

What say ye?
CATTMAN

Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks, my brother. I will connect with the seller. Maybe buy this one and make it into a 4.0 NA as best of both worlds...
CATTMAN

Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM
rome5982 is on a distinguished road
Wow, sorry to hear about the IMS. Glad it was not the LWFW.........thanks for keeping us informed on this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like my '05 997S engine is a goner...