6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   C&D Tests the 991! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/248275-c-d-tests-991-a.html)

dallascajun 06-28-2011 05:51 PM

C&D Tests the 991!

I just downloaded the August edition of C&D and there is a fantastic article where Car & Driver were allowed to join Porsche for final shake-down testing of the 991 in South Africa. Biggest problem: my Zinio for iPad app doesn't have any copy/paste functionality...so here's the highlights that I see:

* Carrera S to have 400 HP
* Carrera to have 350 HP, share 3.4l engine w/ Boxster S
* 2 trannys: 7-spd manual and 7-spd PDK
* Launch Control available on both transmissions
* 2.5 in longer, 4 in longer wheelbase
* longer wheel base to accommodate HYBRID drivetrain in 2016 mid-cycle refresh
* 12-15% improved fuel efficiency (euro cycle)
* electronic parking brake
* full-length sunroof
* 19-in wheels standard on Carrera, 20-in on Carrera S (20s optional on Carrera)

The article doesn't appear to be on C&D website yet, so if I can figure out how to copy/paste, I will.

Also, VERY clear pic of interior...looks like a 2-dr Panny to be honest.

crazycarlitos 06-28-2011 05:56 PM

Cool ! Thx for the update!

like the 400 hp and the launch control on the manual tran..

don't like the elec. parking brake and the 20"..

unsure about the 7-speed manual and the longer wheel base..

dallascajun 06-28-2011 05:59 PM

Also:

Front Track is 2.1 in wider (60.6 in)
Dynamic Engine Mounts will be available on Carrera models (not just Turbo, GT2/3)

911xpress 06-28-2011 06:01 PM

You should be able to log onto the Zinio website and get the same issue?

Thanks fo the info!

dallascajun 06-28-2011 06:06 PM

Traveling with just my iPad. When you log into Zinio via Safari and try to view a magazine, it automatically launches Zinio app. No way to simply open magazine in Safari (and then copy/paste).

Will try with desktop when return home tomorrow.

Sorry for the tease...

IslandS62 06-28-2011 06:07 PM

I read this article on my Zinio app this morning as well. The exterior details are still fuzzy, but the interior photo shows a stunning, modern and fully updated interior. Even has the screen in the gauge cluster ala Panamera.

dallascajun 06-28-2011 06:10 PM

AHA!! I figured out how to copy text...just no pics. Here's the article:

FEATURE: THE DESERT FOX

THE DESERT FOX

Porsche's new 911 is in final development in South Africa. We tag along for a ride.
by Juergen Zoellter

Beyond the lift-throttle oversteer, beyond the repair bills, and beyond the accusations of sexual inadequacy, most Porschephiles' longest-standing fear is that Zuffenhausen is going to screw up the 911. This is especially true when they know there are big changes coming. Well, this new 911, code-named 991 and set to debut in September, is larger and built to accommodate a hybrid powertrain. How's that for terrifying? Kinda makes watercooled engines seem like small- er cup holders, no? But if our first experience with the preproduction car is any indication, there's nothing to fear.

We have flown to South Africa to join August Achleitner, the man known as "Mr. 911," responsible for all 911-series cars, and 991 project leader Bernd Kahnan for the car's final chassis-tune shakedown. First question to Achleitner: "How will you keep the soul of the 911 intact?" He smiles and urges calm. "We sharpened the 911 by making it faster, more responsive, safer, and more environmentally friendly. But we didn't mess it up!"

That's certainly true of the bodywork, which is stretched and pulled but still unmistakably 911, even under the camouflage. The car's body is 2.2 inches longer than the outgoing 997 and sits on a 4.0-inch-longer wheelbase. This is to make real estate available for the coming-for-2016 hybrid version's electric motor and components. The front and rear overhangs are shorter, by 1.3 and 0.5 inch respectively, and the car's roofline is lower by 0.5 inch. Because our particular 911 S is outfitted with the sport suspension, it crouches an additional 0.7 inch closer to the pavement.

Dimensional changes to the greenhouse may seem equally small on paper, but they have the effect of making the whole car look sleeker. The windshield is more convex and its rake faster in the interest of aerodynamics -- the new 911's Cd is a claimed 0.29, identical to the 997's. Porsche moved the base of the A-pillars forward by 1.4 inches. And the center bottom of the glass punches out by a meaningful 3.2 inches so that, in combination with a full-length sunroof and more shoulder room, the cabin feels much airier than before. But the back seat is still only useful for the tiniest of children and dogs. Standing on 19- (regular 911) and 20-inch (911 S, optional for 911) wheels, the 991 looks ready to pounce.

911xpress 06-28-2011 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go

NYCEnglish 06-28-2011 06:23 PM

I'm sure it'll be faster and I'm sure I will want one but some dislikes:

Electronic steering
Electronic parking brake
Interior (thanks for the pic) looks terrible
7-speed manual!
Not sure about 20" yet...

buck986 06-28-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by IslandS62 (Post 3246139)
I read this article on my Zinio app this morning as well. The exterior details are still fuzzy, but the interior photo shows a stunning, modern and fully updated interior. Even has the screen in the gauge cluster ala Panamera.

looks like a cayenne or panamera as expected

KonaKai 06-28-2011 06:42 PM

overall, disappointing specs. i was hoping (in the S) for at least 410hp, -100lbs weight, and dynamic engine mounts and torque vectoring as standard. i do like the full length sunroof though.

gasongasoff 06-28-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by NYCEnglish (Post 3246152)
Interior (thanks for the pic) looks terrible

+1 on the interior.

Thanks for posting the article and pics.

dallascajun 06-28-2011 07:04 PM

As interesting as this article is, it doesn't make me want one. As I have no doubt that the 991 will be 'better' in every way, it will also be larger, which is a deal-breaker for me. I love the compact & sporty feel of my 997. If I wanted more room, I would have stuck with my P2S.

catchmyshadow 06-28-2011 07:11 PM

some parts of the interior are still slightly disguised. looks rock solid tho.

krysFly 06-28-2011 07:13 PM

No hand brake? How would I do spins in the snow now?