997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Targa 4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Question Targa 4?

I ran across a red 2008 911 Targa 4 with low miles which caught my eye as a possible car to purchase.

Does anyone know how it compares with the 911 Carrera 4 in terms of performance, as well as how the glass top compares with a full convertible?

Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM
NJTarga4 will become famous soon enough
I have had Targa since introduction and think it is the best thing since sliced bread. For sheer performance all the post read not great but in the Northeast with flat roads and cold weather it is my daily driver and I love it. When top and window open it feels much like cabrio but in cold weather with roof open it is a delight.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
The T4 is maybe 0.1 seconds slower than a C4 and around 100 heavier (than the coupe). IMO, insignificant performance difference. That said, if you're a spirited driver, I think both those cars need the extra performance of the S, not only for the power, but braking (given their weight).

it's a wonderful car in most ways. every so often i think about trading in for something more track-oriented but i'm just not ready to give up that glass roof. the light and open top feeling is amazing, especially in winter when it's freezing out and you have sun streaming in.

i agree with NJ that if you drive it year round in the Northeast, you're gaining a lot in return for the detractors: the performance penalty (which i believe is insignificant to most people -- see my past posts on the subject), the limited rear visibility when roof is open, and roof squeek issues.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
The Targa roof squeak can happen. But it's almost always a super simple DIY 'fix' - takes much less time than waxing the car and lasts three times as long.
Should be considered a routine self maintenance item.
As far as the performance goes, if you can tell the difference between the Cab and the Targa, you probably should be looking at a GT3.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
In a blind test I expect that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in performance between a Targa4 and anything else. I had a Targa 4S and loved it, and it was just as fast as my C2S cab.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I drove both the C4S (coupe) and the T4S .. and I could barely tell the difference on regular road driving. I do however know that I loved the glass roof - that alone sold me!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
GregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to all
In my case, I felt a big difference moving from my Targa 4S to my C4S. The C4S just seemed tighter and more responsive. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my Targa and still miss some of its key elements, but the creaks and rattles just got to me. Mine was not very well optioned which also made a difference to my enjoyment level.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I didn't even know they made a Targa 4 . I always thought they were the Targa 4S .

Not a fan of the Targa . It's not a coupe . It's not a cab . In this case it's not even an S . Buying a rare car like this often costs more and selling it is tough.
That's why it's rare . No one really wants it.
Just my .02.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
TARGA IS A JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE. iF U WANT OPEN AIR DRIVING GET A CABRIO. OTHERWISE THE COUPE.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
There are coupe guys and cab guys. The targa is somewhere in the middle. Kind of like New Coke. You will get killed on resale.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
rkuo is on a distinguished road
Shrug ... I bought mine on resale and got a fantastic deal. Works both ways.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Funny how different things appeal to different folks. The lines of the cabrio just look stuffed to me. And a wider range of functionality in the Targa = more use...to me.
BTW - on average a T4 depreciates less in % terms than either a cabrio or coupe. In $ terms, maybe $3k more over three years ownership.
Go with what appeals to you. Good luck.