997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ride Comfort On Carrera 3.6 (Non S)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:58 AM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Ride Comfort On Carrera 3.6 (Non S)

So I'm looking to hopefully buy this car soon, (prices seem to be up from say about 8 months ago?).

I intend to use this car on an everyday basis.

Currently I drive a non M BMW, the suspension is firm but comfortable at the same time. I would prefer it to be more comfort than firm though.

How do you guys find the Carrera suspension? Obviously in racing situations I wouldn't want a soft car, but most of the time I will be travelling to and from work, uni, friends, shopping, tennis etc.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Blue Chip is on a distinguished road
I would have no issue DD'ing my car - but the comfort of a BMW - it is not. Not to say that there is a single thing wrong with it - just stiff.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Lolak is on a distinguished road
I own both Cars the 330CIbmw and 997c2 , the c2 is fine to drive daily.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
my wife's DD is an '08 c4. She has no complaints. however, the right tires will make a difference. the PS2's that were on it when we bought it were rough and noisy. We replaced them with Conti DWS and they are light years better as DD tires. The Michelin PSS are also supposed to be great also but they were on back order when we needed tires.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I DD my 06 997 with a much stiffer suspension than stock (H&R sways, Eibach springs). It is not as comfortable as my previous BMWs were but I am not complaining.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:48 PM
skynet is on a distinguished road
I got a Base 997.2 6 weeks ago, no PASM. I was initially concerned about the ride-quality. I am totally used to it now and it doesn't bother me at all. You can also do a Brady on your tires and deflate them for extra softness.

When I need new tires I will probably go with those Conti DWS like porschelady. I put those on my previous car (S4) and it rode much smoother and quieter.

Maybe, one exception would be if you have a lot of expansion joints in your freeway daily drive, those can be very bumpy but I doubt the PASM would be that much better.
Best car for the joints are big Toyota Landcruiser.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
Driving a 911 and looking for comfort first and foremost is like an oxymoron. You will never get near the comfort you get with your Bimmer. Get a Panamera.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Ogun, I don't think the OP was "looking for comfort first and foremost". I mean who on this entire forum is? He was asking about the ride for beer runs and tennis matches with the fellas. Performance is key but ride quality is a legit issue.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:03 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
OK, got it. My P-cars have always been DD's. I remember distinctly when I traded a '07 335I for a 996C4S, I thought I had made a mistake after the first week. Then I began to bond with the car, waking up to what constitute this Porsche "thing" that everyone raves about. No going back for me.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Bonding is a great word for it. There's a feeling with it I've never gotten from a car. I have a black one and my wife called it "Pepper". which is what we call ours. I LOVE MY PEPPER!

Old 05-15-2015, 04:26 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Everything being relative, I find my 997S to be pretty comfortable compared to the Subaru BRZ that I was driving previously. The wide tires cause it to tramline over uneven surfaces and it's not a super-supple ride but it's definitely better than most of the Japanese crapcans I'm used to driving. The car feels heavier and more solid than 3,100lbs, in a good way.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:52 PM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
I came from a BMW 540i M Sport and had the same concerns when buying my 08 C2 as it would be my daily driver and I find the suspension comfortable for a car its size. I have the standard 18" wheels so it might be a bit more comfortable than others with the optional larger wheels but it makes a great daily driver. I will say this its a lot more comfortable than they 04 M3 Convertible we had, the M3 seems very harsh on the ride compared to the Carrera.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
A few thoughts in no particular order:

I had a 540 with M Sports suspension for a few years and really enjoyed it. It was the favorite of all my BMW's.
I will say that the 997.2 is definitely a stiffer / firmer ride, but not uncomfortable. The feeling you get is also very much a function of the weight and size of the car as well as the suspension.

The standard NON PASM suspension on my 997.2 was actually a little too soft for my liking (when compared to my Panamera which I always drive with PASM on full stiff). Hence I upgraded the shocks, springs and swaybars on the 997.2.

As a daily driver or for long trips, the only factor that would make me use the Panamera (or 540 for comparison) over the 911 would be cabin noise and luggage space.
For example; if you need to make a lot of phone calls from your car the 911 is not ideal as it is not as quiet inside.
Conversely if you are using the car the way it should be used (i.e. Not on the phone ) the 911 experience is tough to beat.

In summary; the 911 is a very usable daily driver, that will make every trip more enjoyable.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:49 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
as someone said, Go to Conti DWS for a smoother ride. I did so.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:21 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
PSS are pretty quiet.
18`s will also have a softer ride than 19`s

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ride Comfort On Carrera 3.6 (Non S)