997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY oil change - what about reset service msg?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 AM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
DIY oil change - what about reset service msg?

Always gone to dealer for oil changes but read a couple threads re: prepaid maintenance plans and merits of DIY vs. indie shop vs. dealer, and was wondering if you did DIY or indie - what do you do about the annual service message?

Every year in July my car lights up a service in XX days message at startup, it's significantly out of sync with when I go in for oil changes (low yearly miles driver) so I always have to go in for an extra service just to have the dealer reset that message (and have to "prove" that I've already gotten oil service prior to that date)

Am on my 3rd message with current car and was told last year from dealer I bought car at that they only reset it if you got oil change from them or another dealer - (they even called the other local dealer I got oil change from to confirm before they would reset my message).

So for DIYers - do you use some tool or flip a switch to reset that nagging service reminder message?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Durametric.com

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Durametric or a friendly Porsche service shop.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
HouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really nice
Hey guys, if you're in SoCal you are more than welcome to stop by our shop. We'll reset the service light for you at no charge.

FYI We used to work at the dealer and equipped the same diagnostic tool. Our PIWIS tester are able to read all your control units or reset your service lights.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
I recently bought a Durametric after doing my first DIY oil change in order to reset my service reminder. It was really easy to use (much easier than changing the oil) and I could've done it in 2 minutes if I hadn't played around with the software. You can also do a DME scan and some other stuff. I think it was worth not having to beg (or pay) someone in the dealership's service department.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Taxi!
I recently bought a Durametric after doing my first DIY oil change in order to reset my service reminder. It was really easy to use (much easier than changing the oil) and I could've done it in 2 minutes if I hadn't played around with the software. You can also do a DME scan and some other stuff. I think it was worth not having to beg (or pay) someone in the dealership's service department.
Except (unless a recent durametric upgrade fixed this), you will not be able to reset the service interval reminder to the 'correct new interval' for triggering the next reminder. All you can do is reset it then and there to the max, which ended up being 2 yrs / 20k mi for a 997.2 MY09. I'm still waiting for Durametric to come out with the proper reset feature that will let the users actually SET the duration until the next service interval comes on.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
Thanks all. I'll look into durametric - mostly I go to dealers for convenience / too lazy to do it myself but lately been thinking about tinkering around DIY for things I can do - and certainly an oil change is pretty basic.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Originally Posted by Minok
Except (unless a recent durametric upgrade fixed this), you will not be able to reset the service interval reminder to the 'correct new interval' for triggering the next reminder. All you can do is reset it then and there to the max, which ended up being 2 yrs / 20k mi for a 997.2 MY09. I'm still waiting for Durametric to come out with the proper reset feature that will let the users actually SET the duration until the next service interval comes on.
Yes, Minok, your dissatisfaction with Durametric should be well known to most 6speeders by now. So let me clarify that I was only able to reset the "factory" service reminder that was displayed on my instrument panel. I was not able to change or adjust the length of the service reminder. So I went old school and just wrote it down. Problem solved.