997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What does Sport mode really do?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
What does Sport mode really do?

I have a 2012 911S cab with manual transmission and am unclear about what the Sport button does. The owner's manual mentions PSM kicking in at a higher limit, better throttle response (but only after flooring the gas pedal or briefly releasing it), and "harder" rev limiter.

My questions:

- Does sport mode increase power or torque? If so, how?

- If sport mode is turned on after starting the car, do you still have to do something with the gas pedal to activate the better throttle response?

- Are there any drawbacks with using sport mode? Maybe lower gas mileage? I use it all the time, but I turn off the sport PASM setting unless the road is really smooth.

- Any other effects of sport mode?

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
"When ‘Sport’ mode is selected, the engine management system creates a much more aggressive response to pedal inputs. To do this, it implements an alternative throttle map which relates the pedal position in the footwell to a wider angle of opening in the throttle body. In higher gears, it uses a hard rev-limiter to protect the engine under power."

-No power gain
-No need to activate. Give it 1/4 throttle on normal, then 1/4 throttle on sport, you should feel the difference especially in the higher rev range.
-PSM will allow some wheel spin
-Only drawback is lower gas mileage
-Other effect is PASM turns on to firmer setting
Then does anybody leave sport mode off? I certainly don't plan to!

As you probably know, the firmer PASM setting can be turned back off with the suspension button, while still leaving other aspects of sport mode on.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
I actually keep sport mode off and just turn on PASM. Not to say Sport mode isn't fun, but IMO it's better to learn how to manage momentum first before accessing the quicker throttle response.
My other car is a C63 (451 hp, 443 ft-lb), so I need all the throttle response I can get in the 911.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I used it when I take it to the mountains for a spirited drive. I rarely used it on regular roads, the throttle is too sensitive and my exhaust gets really loud. Everyone thinks I'm trying to race them. They give me the 'wtf' look b/c of my exhaust. lol

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
I think the only time I used sport mode in my Cayman was when I test drove it. I've only used it once in my 4S so far, I tend to forget about it since I hadn't used it much in the past.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
thxbuff2001 is on a distinguished road
I only used it once when I test drove the car. Haven,t used it since. I dont think I need it on daily driving. Its quick enough for me though.

I dont use my M mode in my bimmer either. I used it once in an intersection and I forgot it was on, my wheels spun and I hardly moved. Scared for a while.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
SC Sport mode is not just a faster throttle profile. Engine management changes too, as well as PSM settings.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Sports mode makes me feels like have a different car. I goof off with it but don't use it on a regular basis.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Wow, I'm shocked that so many people don't use sport mode as their default!

I'll spend some time going back and forth between the two modes to better see the differences. So far, I've had the car in sport mode about 95% of the time (ie, always other than when I forgot to turn it on).

Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
When you have to drive in the morning rush hour with a cup of hot coffee, you don't want to be in sports mode!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i m also surprised that not too many people use the sports mode..

personally, i dont use it for city driving.. but in the mountains or highways, the sports mode is always on (sans PASM)

Originally Posted by Manifold

- Does sport mode increase power or torque? If so, how?
neither. it simply remaps the throttle so the car feels more responsive.

- If sport mode is turned on after starting the car, do you still have to do something with the gas pedal to activate the better throttle response?
no. as long as the gas pedal was not depressed, it will activate the sports mode.

- Are there any drawbacks with using sport mode? Maybe lower gas mileage? I use it all the time, but I turn off the sport PASM setting unless the road is really smooth.
drawbacks? maybe a speeding ticket.. It will not save u gas.. Most of us turn off the sports setting for PASM unless we are driving aggressively (in which case, the ECU will automatically stiffen ur shocks anyways)

- Any other effects of sport mode?
too long to type so i will paste from Porsche website:

Selecting the ‘Sport’ button on the centre console activates ‘Sport’ mode, which makes throttle response significantly more immediate, adjusts the rev-limiter to a harder setting, tunes the engine dynamics for performance driving and activates the optional sports exhaust system.

The optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to ‘Sport’ mode, which offers harder damping and more direct steering and, therefore, better road holding.

With the optional PDK in automatic mode, gearshift points are delayed until the upper rev range. The shift times are shorter, the gear changes sportier. At low rates of deceleration, the system initiates a swifter, brake-induced downshift. In manual mode, gear changes are faster and more dynamic.

In ‘Sport’ mode, the PSM intervenes later for increased longitudinal and lateral dynamics. PSM now affords greater manoeuvrability under braking and exit acceleration, especially at low speeds.

For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in ‘Sport’ mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.

A key component of the Sport Chrono Package is the swivel-mounted timer in the centre of the dashboard with analogue and digital display. In combination with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), the Sport Chrono Package offers two additional functions that are activated by the Sport Plus button.

First, ‘Launch Control’, which ensures you achieve the fastest possible rate of acceleration from a standing start – on the race track, for example. ‘Launch Control’ is operated via the Sport Plus button with the ‘D’ or ‘M’ drive position selected. Whilst the driver depresses the brake pedal with the left foot, the right foot depresses the accelerator pedal to the floor. With the accelerator in the kickdown position, the system detects the driver’s request for Launch Mode and revs the engine to an optimum speed of approximately 6,500 rpm. Engine torque increases and the clutch closes slightly. The message ‘Launch Control active’ appears on the instrument cluster display. The driver now quickly releases the brake – and prepares for maximum acceleration.

Second, the ‘motorsport-derived gearshift strategy’. Using this, PDK is geared up for maximum shift speed, the shortest possible shift times and optimum shift points for maximum acceleration – ideal for the racetrack.

On request, the new, optional Porsche Communication Management (PCM) can be combined with the Sport Chrono Package Plus. In addition to the functions of the Sport Chrono Package, it includes a personal memory function in the new PCM and a performance display for evaluating lap times.

BOL

Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
What does this mean?
tunes the engine dynamics for performance driving

Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I press the Sport button before my car even fires up. I never drive without it unless I have sensitive passengers.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What does this mean?
This is the one that's new to me, so I have the same question.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What does this mean?
ECU/engine mapping changes.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does Sport mode really do?