997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rain Sensor & Auto Dimming Rear Mirror Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
aproo will become famous soon enoughaproo will become famous soon enough
Rain Sensor & Auto Dimming Rear Mirror Retrofit

Hi All,

Anyone tried doing this?

Was thinking of getting it fitted but not sure if it is possible. I have the normal rear view mirror and wonder if it is going to be just plug and play but pulling out the mirror and then adding it at the back to make it work.

Also, anyone tried retrofitting their rear mirror window to one with auto-dimming version? From the PET, it looks simple just buy buying the AS mirror and replacing it. Will there be any harness required as i would assume it needs some sort of power to link it to work.

Thoughts please?

Cheers, Peter

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
Can't answer for sure, but it seems that the factory does not install ANY extra wires in the harness for options not factory ordered.
Maybe the self-dimming rear-view would work with just power, but from the factory it is wired to the side-view mirrors to dim them too, so there is a chance the "brains" of the self-dimming are external to the mirror.
Realy doubt you could retrofit rain-sensor wipers. I'd bet it needs more than the window sensor to function.
But I am just assuming based on what I have read about wiring for PSE, illuminated door sils, PASM, etc (none of those are pre-wired if the car didn't leave the factory with them). YMMV.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
On the 996 you can add the rain sensor. All it was was the sensor and a new wipper relay. You ran the wire through the ceiling and down the a pilar. You replaced the wiper relay with the new one and plugged the sensor wire into it. You might call Ryan at Sunset and see what he says.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
On the 997.2, adding auto-dim mirror is a no go - I tried. The wiring is not there and it would be major work to retro it and major $$$. After two years, I don't find the manual mirror too bothersome.