997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Picking up new CS4, Reno to Texas - what route?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
jedwards is on a distinguished road
Picking up new C4S, Reno to Texas - what route?

Newbie here!!!

While visiting family in Reno two weeks ago my wife suggested I stop by the local dealership and see if they had anything I "might like..." I had recently sold my 06 vett and her 2010 370z, looking to move to a p-car. Yes, I know, finally drank the kool-aide and saw the light! Anyhow, hadn't found the perfect car or dealer who really wanted to sell in Texas and was looking towards the used market. However, in Reno they were ready to deal!

Ended up buying the last 2011 C4S they had at a discount. I saw what the first year of the new 2005 C6 model did to the vette image and still had some recalls with my 06 - envision this recall: "at some point your roof may malfunction and separate from the car...." Thus, the well known flying roof recall. I have seen the new web promo for the next gen 911 and a bit gun shy of any first year releases currently. Rather buy now and enjoy, trade in later on a 2nd or 3rd year model.

I was going to use Intercity to transport back to Stephenville (big thx to Jim) but they were going to be several weeks out from transporting because of the Barrett-Jackson auction this coming weekend in Las Vegas. So my wife says, "why don't you just use some frequent flyer miles and go out to Reno, then drive it back!" Yep, I love her.

Now I have arranged 2 1/2 days from work to get back. The question:

What route would you take from Reno to Stephenville, Texas the first week of October in a brand new CS4, a Valentine (gifted from my C6) and time to kill?

Looking forward to all recommendations....

Attached Images  

Last edited by jedwards; 09-19-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 AM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I am very jealous of your situation right now! Time and a new Porsche are things we don't get often enough in this life. Congratulations on the purchase. As far as a route back, that is a tough one. Lot's of choices on scenic drives, but I think I would go back toward Utah and Colorado, then south through New Mexico. Pick your poison on which way you come back through in West Texas - all of it is flat! The good thing is that you can take the car up to warp speed in deep West Texas and be OK.

Enjoy the drive! If you need a copilot, let me know.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
mander is on a distinguished road
Hwy 12 accross southern Utah would be nice.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Great recommendations guys!

Yes, clear bra & tint being installed this week....

I like the idea of utah - colorado - new mexico, then fast as possible across west Texas!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jedwards
Great recommendations guys!

Yes, clear bra & tint being installed this week....

I like the idea of utah - colorado - new mexico, then fast as possible across west Texas!
That is the best route, you have to go through the twisty Colorado mountains. The straight roads of Utah, New Mexico, and Texas is enough. Make sure to take pictures and document your experience.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
fq1
fq1 is a jewel in the roughfq1 is a jewel in the roughfq1 is a jewel in the rough
Great car, congratulations! Any more pics? Also, how much of a discount were you able to get, if you don't mind sharing.

Originally Posted by jedwards
Newbie here!!!

Ended up buying the last 2011 C4S they had at a discount.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Ahhh...yes, more pics to come when I pick it up to be sure! The several I have were posted on the dealership web site only. I was really NOT planning on buying a car in Reno while vacationing....just happened to be in the market and in the right place/right time for once. Thus, I didn't have my camera with me.

pm sent regarding discount.

Last edited by jedwards; 02-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
mander is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ynot
The straight roads of Utah ...
Southern Utah? How about Hwy 12? Far from straight.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
HWY 50 east

Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
Congrats to you! Last week my wife and I picked up a new Boxster (her car) in Plano, TX and drove it back home to Palm Desert, CA. Took I20 to TX84 and then came through NM and AZ on I40, and that was OK, but if you can drive through Utah and CO, it is well worth it. Southern CO through Durango would be my pick.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
porshanut is on a distinguished road
Drive Austin to Incline Village and reverse twice a year and go different ways. A really nice way to go would be Salt Lake, Moab, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe, then on to DFW. Beautiful scenery and roads. Have a great trip.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 PM
ecostellodo is on a distinguished road
Durango, Pagosa, Chama, Santa Fe is nice. Or cruise over to Taos and go over the Red River gorge. The problem is the road from Tierra Amarilla to Taos isn't the greatest. Narrow 2 lane and bumpy.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I'd come back to TX via the Appalachian mountains!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow guys, great suggestions all around....except via the Appalachians?

Below is what appears the best suggested route that will take me "quickly" through Nevada and onto - SLC - Moab - Durango - Pagosa Springs - Sante Fe - Lubbuck - Stephenville. See attached map.

Should see some spectacular mountains, rivers, Aspens in color all while breaking in the new p-car listening to great music under the watchful eye of Mr. Valentine!

Calculated mileage = 1,702 mi or 29 hours.

Now if you were leaving Reno at ~ 1:00 pm Sunday and had to be in Stephenville by noon Tuesday, where would you spend the 1st and 2nd nights?

Recommend any unique hotels or favorite cafes to visit?

Attached Images  

Last edited by jedwards; 09-21-2011 at 10:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picking up new CS4, Reno to Texas - what route?