997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Weapon of choice to attack the Dragon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Weapon of choice to attack the Dragon?

(For folks that don't know The Dragon is 318 curves over just 11 miles. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/)

If you had both a 997 C2S and a 997 TT in the garage, which would you tackle the Dragon with and why?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
voltairesb is on a distinguished road
Truth be told, it doesn't matter which car you take to the dragon, because excessive speed is neither an option nor a consideration. You'll be lucky to reach 50mph, and certainly won't exceed a total average over 30mph, unless you're in a police car.

In a totally objective policing no object perspective, the 997 tt will have the advantage primarily because of its all wheel drive and superior corner entry speeds. I've driven the dragon ins a c2, and it is much more than 318 curves. It's also 900+ feet of elevation change, over 10000 degrees of total camber change, and full of decreasing radius turns.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by voltairesb
Truth be told, it doesn't matter which car you take to the dragon, because excessive speed is neither an option nor a consideration. You'll be lucky to reach 50mph, and certainly won't exceed a total average over 30mph, unless you're in a police car.
Agreed. I'm posing the question as I'm still debating between the two for my next purchase. You mention entry speeds but what about exit speeds? I'm thinking the C2S is going to be more nimble and easier to keep in the power band vs. the turbo (lag).

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
(For folks that don't know The Dragon is 318 curves over just 11 miles. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/)

If you had both a 997 C2S and a 997 TT in the garage, which would you tackle the Dragon with and why?
Is this a race? Will the road be closed? Is Patrick Long participating? Will there be free beer, dancing girls or more importantly "trophies" at the end? (Sorry, just had to ask.)

So, take either one. Slow down just a little bit and don't go to jail or hurt someone else. You'll have just as much fun.

When you need to decide which car to take, go to Road Atlanta (or a track of your choice) and get after it. It's much better that way and the clock won't lie. Most everything your buddies have told you about what they have done on the Dragon is bull$hit anyway. That's the same everywhere. Best,

Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future

In a totally objective policing no object perspective, the 997 tt will have the advantage primarily because of its all wheel drive and superior corner entry speeds. I've driven the dragon ins a c2, and it is much more than 318 curves. It's also 900+ feet of elevation change, over 10000 degrees of total camber change, and full of decreasing radius turns.
+1! The Dragon is not a 'fast' road, it's 'technical' road. You can have a helluva lot of fun running it at 45-50, rather than pushing it, crossing the double yellow and making life miserable for those coming the other way - and yourself.

I've been going up that way for many years. Tennesse's finest put a major damper on the 'fun' aspect a couple years ago, back when the squids on bikes killed three of their own there in one riding season (when I go there I normally ride my Triumph Tiger).

There are many roads in the area that are as much fun, if not more fun, than the Dragon, but much less traveled. Over the past couple years when I go to the mountains I normally steer clear of the madness on 129.

Still, if you haven't been through it, it's worth the trip.

Last edited by NC 997; 10-04-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
Agreed. I'm posing the question as I'm still debating between the two for my next purchase. You mention entry speeds but what about exit speeds? I'm thinking the C2S is going to be more nimble and easier to keep in the power band vs. the turbo (lag).
The question you should be asking is regardless of which car I buy, where can I get reasonable driving instruction........

Hope you get the car of your dreams!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
voltairesb is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure the c2s is more nimble. The lower ride height and superior suspension bits give the tt a pretty significant handling advantage. The road that goes from US129 to and then the along the cherohala skyway are some of the most fun high speed technical roads I've ever driven. You can stay very busy at a sustained 70mph. That trip makes for a very tired driver when you get to Knoxville or Chattanooga.

Last edited by voltairesb; 10-04-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Mitsubishi Evo X

Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Dave in Oregon is on a distinguished road
For the Dragon, give me a mid engined Porsche anyday ! I owned a Boxster S before my current 997 C4S and in many ways prefer the Boxster's maneuverability, lightness, and handling abilities. The C4S feels lumbersome and heavy on tight twisty two lane roads, many of which we have here in Oregon......

Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 PM
JT3
JT3 will become famous soon enoughJT3 will become famous soon enough
I'd go for the TT. The roads might be wet/foggy given the elevation and road length. There are cops and only small areas for decent acceleration.

I took my highly modified 350z there a few years ago and spent the weekend, what a fantastic time.

Made several runs, at the end of one run my car was handling like crap.

Pulled over, all my lug nuts were super loose. The curves are wicked, good luck.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dave in Oregon
I owned a Boxster S before my current 997 C4S and in many ways prefer the Boxster's maneuverability, lightness, and handling abilities. The C4S feels lumbersome and heavy on tight twisty two lane roads, many of which we have here in Oregon......
I agree 100% on this. I went from a Cayman S to a 997.2 C4S. While I overall enjoy the C4S much more, the Cayman was like driving a 300hp go-kart. Amazing handling on those mid-engine Porsches.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I'm not sure the c2s is more nimble. The lower ride height and superior suspension bits give the tt a pretty significant handling advantage. ...
The TT has a lower ride and a superior suspension than the C2S? Not if both are stock.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Which car would you choose if you had to drive the Dragon in reverse?????? Huh Huh????

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 AM
timmp is on a distinguished road
Lotus!

Lotus sport elise with the Ohlins suspension/sway bars set on the "medium" setting - limited edition built by lotus racing - perfect car for a tight/technical road.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I would take the C2S because of the controlled power through the NA engine. Turbos can get loose if you aren't careful (As evidenced by the two off-track experiences by the guy in front of me two weeks ago - he was done after number two).

Twisty turns aren't for a turbo unless it has been seriously modified IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weapon of choice to attack the Dragon?