997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Infant Car Seat--Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:16 PM
coco0045 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Probably the only truly 'safe' rear facing option in a 911, but $740 for a seat you can use for only one (maybe the recommended two if your child doesn't get taller) year? I'd just rather wait until they can fit in a booster.
I second that. So I guess there is really only one choice then ---> the graco snugride 22. Wow! is that REALLY the only car seat. Oh well at least there one!

This leads me to my second question (option) then: Which infant rear facing FRONT passenger car seat will fit my 997 then (of course airbags disabled) besides the Porsche OEM?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
Looks like the Maxi Cosi fits, though I haven't tried this personally.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p's pcar
Looks like the Maxi Cosi fits, though I haven't tried this personally.
http://youtu.be/Mb08gStDiyE
That's been posted before on another thread. Read the comments. That is not a stable configuration. Yes, it'll fit, but it's not safe.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
So I am looking at a 2011 997 cab. I have a 4 yo that will fit in the back with booster. The issue is the 5 month old boy. This is emergency only. They are in my car maybe once a month at the max. I currently have a great seat that is up to 40lbs and can be held in by belt or latch and is rear facing.

The real issue is the new guidelines where they say kids should stay rear facing until 2 yo. This would be difficult in my X5. I see the Porsche infant seat and have several questions.

1. Is it held in by LATCH or seatbelt?
2. What happens when your kid is more than 21lbs but not 2 years old for front facing?

My wife thinks I am crazy for going through this much trouble to drive a 911. But then again she thinks her Mazda is really fast.

The other option is to buy an M3
Although I would add a supercharger
M

Old 05-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Kirk will become famous soon enoughKirk will become famous soon enough
Graco Snugride 22

Originally Posted by coco0045
So I guess there is really only one choice then ---> the graco snugride 22. Wow! is that REALLY the only car seat. Oh well at least there one!
I did a TON of research on this and came to the same conclusion - that the only choice for a newer 911 is the Graco Snugride 22. I wanted to share my experience now that I've tried one. The seat fit fine in my 2003 Carrera 4S. I took the bottom seat cushion out because it's leather and I didn't want to damage it. I kept the rear seat-back in place. I think you only need to remove that for older kids whose legs will extend out of the baby seat. I had ZERO problem installing the base in the car that the baby seat snaps into. It is secure and safe, I trust it without reservation. Using the base though you need to have the passenger seat all of the way forward.

You can also install the seat without the base and just strap it in directly with the seat belt. There has been some discussion saying that this is not safe... bunk. There are directions on the side of the seat from the manufacturer explaining how to strap in the seat without the base - it's safe. There is no way the manufacturer would recommend it if it was not safe. The base is just more convenient to snap the seat in and out of. If you strap in just the seat, it takes more work, but will gain you a couple of inches with that front passenger seat that can be moved back.

If you look for a Snugride 22 you can special order the seat by itself, BUT most of the time it will be offered with a stroller. So, if you go looking for this at Target, Kohl's, or Wal-mart you won't find the seat alone with the other seats, but you may find it with the strollers. If you get the stroller that has the folding release as a central pull strap (rather than a twist **** on the handle), then it will fold down fairly compact. This stroller will actually just barely fit in the front end of a 986 Boxster or 996 without the spare tire, but it will not fit in the front of my 996 C4S because of the AWD equipment. It will not fit in the rear trunk of a Boxster. I can strap it with the seat belt easily into the other rear seat of my C4S though.

Attached are some pictures of baby's first ride home, yesterday. Fabspeed bypass, no mufflers, loud as heck, and he still fell asleep within seconds....

Kirk

Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 AM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Can anyone please advise whether the Graco Snugfit can accommodate a passenger riding shotgun? Or does the front seat need to be pulled and angled full forward?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Can anyone please advise whether the Graco Snugfit can accommodate a passenger riding shotgun? Or does the front seat need to be pulled and angled full forward?
Not sure about the Graco, but the Cybex Aton 2 can fit in the rear, with the base. The front passenger seat needs to be moved forward, but someone can still sit in it.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
i don't think any rear facing seat can fit without the front passenger seat being pulled up and angled forward. it's just a size issue. i have a 2 1/2 yr old and 9 month old.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:55 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dethman
i don't think any rear facing seat can fit without the front passenger seat being pulled up and angled forward. it's just a size issue. i have a 2 1/2 yr old and 9 month old.
The Cybex Aton 2 does. Rear-facing, mounted in the base, with front passenger seat still usable. It's very compact, but is supposedly one of the safer units. And as a bonus, it can be attached to a Quinny Zapp Xtra stroller, which in turn, fits completely in the frunk without detaching any wheels.

Now that being said, I would strongly recommend NOT trying to transport an infant around in a Porsche 911 unless you have no other choice of vehicle.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Others will disagree but...

I did a TON of research and couldn't find any rear facing seats that fit in the back of my 997s that I was comfortable with. You'll be fine in two years when you can turn your child around but in the mean time, I think you'll have to either take another car or get comfortable with a seat which is frankly not as safe as it could be.

For me, I wasn't willing to compromise on the safety of the child's seat. But that's just me and it's a highly personal decision.

I tried for two years to find a car seat and never found anything that really worked rear facing. Daughter is getting close to 2 years and I'm excited about using the Combi to run weekend errands with the little one.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
The Cybex Aton 2 does. Rear-facing, mounted in the base, with front passenger seat still usable. It's very compact, but is supposedly one of the safer units. And as a bonus, it can be attached to a Quinny Zapp Xtra stroller, which in turn, fits completely in the frunk without detaching any wheels.

Now that being said, I would strongly recommend NOT trying to transport an infant around in a Porsche 911 unless you have no other choice of vehicle.
Gas, any pics of the seat in action?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:49 AM
AntoJO is an unknown quantity at this point
Infant Car seat and Toddler seat

There is no good option for a rear facing seat in either the Porsche 996 or 997s.
My wife was crunched in the front seat with our Rear Facing Chico KeyFit. We bought the KeyFit b/c it was the top rated seat by CR.org. The way I did it, was removing both the leather rear seat and the rear seat back then placing a foam pillow in the well inside a plastic bag. Then installing the base of the chico, vacuum sealing the pillow, tightening the seat, and then releasing the vacuum to make it tight. Very safe for the kid, but super uncomfortable for the passenger, to the point where she preferred to be in the rear seat behind me. More recently, I have a forward facing seat, but it is STILL uncomfortable for front passenger for any trip over one hour. Last week the Wall Street Journal had an article on children's child vests instead of car seats and I bought the one they discussed and it is AWESOME. Here's the link:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-parent...ght-1464027800
Basically, it is an approved vest for kids 30 lbs and 3 years and up (Ride Safer Travel vest). It's actually better than the car seat for the 996s and 997s because it keeps the kid lower in the car, in my opinion, he just fits better.
In brief: agree with Da Hapa no good option for rear seat unless no front seat passenger and I recommend removing both cushion and rear seat. Once over 3 years old and 30 lbs, the vest is better than a car seat.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 AM
chrisgoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Front facing seats (20lbs+)

I gave up on the rear-facing carseat. Once my kid was over 20 lbs, this one fits perfectly in the back seat (forward facing)

Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL Convertible Car Seat, Eclipse (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Baby Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL Convertible Car Seat, Eclipse (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Baby

I think it has been discontinued but it was around $275 when I purchase it new about 6-7 years ago

Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 PM
Vest in Porsche 997 rear seat

Took me a while, but here's the Ride Safer Vest.
I've since added a cushion underneath because it gives him the ability to look out the rear window if he really lifts himself up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RideSafer_CarVest.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	450848

Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 PM
The Radian has the advantage of a narrow base - so it will sit well on the floor/base compared to other seats. however, it still makes it very difficult to have a car seat and a front passenger. I think a rear seat, forward or rear facing, without compromising either safety or front seat passenger is a challenge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infant Car Seat--Please Help